• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Recovery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Auraix

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Recovery Reply with quote

So recently, my chops have taken a long workout, in which it slowly got worse until it peaked last Thursday when I couldn't hit a G on top of the staff during marching band practice. (Indoors)

I took the advice of my band director (Former Blue Devils Marcher) and some of you guys to relax my playing and after a competition, football game, and a day of easy long tones, I'm here now. My range is back up at a C (Hit it Once and decided not to try again), my endurance is slowly coming back, but I've been told by many of my band members that I should continue doing only long tones.

So my question is, when should i start reincorporating my former practice routine? I have a football game this Friday and next Friday as well as 2 more practices as well as another coming competition, how long should I wait until I bring back my old practice routine?
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think long tones or good air flow exercises are good for everyday, not just when you are tired. I would say you can practice what you need, just don't practice till extreme fatigue as you are not progressing at that point by destroying muscle or forming bad habits to compensate. Frequent breaks and knowing when to stopping playing is key to building.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzvuu wrote:
I think long tones or good air flow exercises are good for everyday, not just when you are tired. I would say you can practice what you need, just don't practice till extreme fatigue as you are not progressing at that point by destroying muscle or forming bad habits to compensate. Frequent breaks and knowing when to stopping playing is key to building.

+1 Great advise. Rebuilding intelligently is just as critical as conscientious daily pacing. Pay close attention to your body signals. Resting at strategic intervals is very necessary to endurance redevelopment. Lifelong stamina is a marathon and doesn't occur in a mad rush. Focus on the long game.
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, but it also depends on where your chops are: fatigue or injury.

Fatigue, you just need to learn when to stop IN the rehearsal and start miming. If you can play it and do the routine, then it will get to the point you just need to pace yourself or become overtired or injured. You make the call, not the director / dictator. Also, developing some warmup / warm down routines, plus regular practice to help develop areas you need to strengthen is a must.

Injury, or, this last more than a day or two, you get yourself to someone who is knowledgeable in this area, pronto. No mucking about, and no listening to a marching band director / dictator.

From what you have described, it sounds like heavy fatigue, but only you know if there is a dating difference that you need to resolve.

cheers

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: