• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Old French Flugelhorns on eBay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Old French Flugelhorns on eBay Reply with quote

There is a seller on eBay, hector-musique, operating out of Cantaron, France, who is offering a number of antique flugelhorns made by previously unknown (to me) French and European makers, along with a few trumpets, cornets and trombones. Does anyone have any information about these manufacturers: Evette Schaeffer, Cabart, Dolnet, Gras, Thibouville-Lamy, De Vries, Gautrot, Chapuis? There are almost all pre-war, more-or-less of the Besson/Couesnon style, and very interesting. I’m wondering if they are side labels of the well known Selmer/Besson/Courtois brands, or if they are just smaller manufacturers that didn’t survive the great depression. I had no idea that there have been so many different makers of brass instruments in France before the war.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/hector-musique/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'PERSY - BRUXELLES' cornet reminds of Mahillon...it even has a star on the bell (although it looks different). All the brands are unknown to me though, except for Thibouville-Lamy. There was a thread about a trumpet from that brand a while ago.

Also, Dolnet was a saxophone and flugel manufacturer iirc...
krax
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of them were bigger brands than those you mentioned as well known, back in the day, especially Thibouville-Lamy.

The plain fact is that there were lots of makers all over Europe and yes, they made their horns themselves.

If you buy from hector-musique you can trust his descriptions. If he says that it plays, then it plays, but keep in mind that they often show lots of signs of wear and that the valves pretty often have brass pistons so do not expect compression like trumpets of that day. Still, those old flugels play well. In my opinion a flugel does not need as good compression as a trumpet.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now the guy and us ok , I got from him a super rare Selmer soloist cornet mouthpiece he sales many vintage and rare staff from time to time.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Coldeye

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you end up buying from him? Just purchased this:
LINK

Cant find any info about this brand or maker.
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me the maker is Millereau. Chapuis is probably a stamped reseller’s name.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d support giakaras statement. This seller has been around for a long time and seems to have sources for older French (and Belgian ) instruments. I presume his main interest is musical/brass instruments from the French speaking part of Europe. He also has very nice Selmers from time to time.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
tubaductilis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few words about those makers:
To my knowledge, Thibouville-Lamy was largely a mass manufacturer; the quality of their brass instruments was good but not equalling Courtois for example from what I've seen.

Gautrot was a very important 19th century maker; the firm's legacy continues in the form of PGM Couesnon - formerly Couesnon - whose Monopole fluegelhorns were of course the gold standard for jazzers for a long time. (their custom gig bags are worth looking at, too, FWIW. ) I have a pre-1900 Couesnon trombone which has a gorgeous sound and I'm hugely looking forward to getting restored to proper playing condition.

Gras is pretty well known; they were a large maker in Lille, in Northern France; they closed in 1955. They produced a range of lines and also apparently resold stencil horns by Thibouville-Lamy. The trombone I have by Gras is good but not magic.

De Vries (Lier/Lierre, Belgium) apparently mostly delivered to the military, and colonial government ministries. The company closed shortly before the 2nd World War.

This forum and horn-u-copia both are good sources on all these makers, with a bit of searching.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evette Schaeffer is a well-regarded woodwind maker, makes excellent clarinets. I was not aware of its forays into brasses. It's now owned by Boosey and Hawkes. I'll let you look it up, yourself.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: