• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

flexibilities, with the flugel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: flexibilities, with the flugel Reply with quote

everyone has the same problem. how do you get killer flugel tone, and you won't without massive practice hours which can't be done because you play trumpet all the time.
then the next problem is getting range on the flugel especially if you are playing an ultra deep mouthpiece. i use a flip oakes extreme #3 mouthpiece that is the limit of how much can be bored out of a standard blank. it's deep with an enormous drill bore.
playing out of bai lin several times a week with the flugel takes care of these issues. it is surprisingly easy to strengthen and gain range. achieving tone is a separate matter. it comes, in time.
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: flexibilities, with the flugel Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
everyone has the same problem. how do you get killer flugel tone, and you won't without massive practice hours which can't be done because you play trumpet all the time.
then the next problem is getting range on the flugel especially if you are playing an ultra deep mouthpiece. i use a flip oakes extreme #3 mouthpiece that is the limit of how much can be bored out of a standard blank. it's deep with an enormous drill bore.
playing out of bai lin several times a week with the flugel takes care of these issues. it is surprisingly easy to strengthen and gain range. achieving tone is a separate matter. it comes, in time.

I'm not sure 'everyone has the same problem'.

A resonant and relaxed set up will allow a good player to pull a flugelhorn out the case and achieve much of what you just said.

I actually think a lot of problems playing the flugelhorn develop when people develop a negative attitude towards it. As soon as you start to think 'the high notes are going to be really hard on this' you're a goner...

All the best
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my experience with Flugel(s) at all.. I play Curry 3's.. and have 3 his different cups (medium, standard & deep). It's not range that is the biggest issue but tuning and tone balance, but after only a little bit of effort/familiarity on the horn, this stabilizes.

I do think there is a greater range of issues with Flugels. Tuning and "blow" range more wildly than with trumpets-the bad ones are really bad.. Lots of poor playing flugels and some really amazing ones.

Play softly, play lyrical exercises/etudes- allow yourself (air & chops) to make the little adjustments optimizing the quality of sound. Can't play one like you play trumpet(s) BTW, same approach to Cornet and, in reality, all other trumpets.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
Not my experience with Flugel(s) at all.. I play Curry 3's.. and have 3 his different cups (medium, standard & deep). It's not range that is the biggest issue but tuning and tone balance, but after only a little bit of effort/familiarity on the horn, this stabilizes.

I do think there is a greater range of issues with Flugels. Tuning and "blow" range more wildly than with trumpets-the bad ones are really bad.. Lots of poor playing flugels and some really amazing ones.

Play softly, play lyrical exercises/etudes- allow yourself (air & chops) to make the little adjustments optimizing the quality of sound. Can't play one like you play trumpet(s) BTW, same approach to Cornet and, in reality, all other trumpets.

Totally agree with all of this. I only play flugel once in a while. But it's always an easy blow and quick adaptation. But then I found the answer a while back with the Adams. It made everything, intonation and range and response so much easier. I use all of the Curry mouthpieces for flugel. I never liked the FO Extreme. It just sounded like a trombone to me.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are conscious and subconscious feedback loops that develop with wind instruments and with something like trumpet is going to take years of development. i have found my,, way,, of hearing has substantially changed over the years and this feedback loop has evolved.
the clarinet people maintain their gorgeous sound with continual long tone work. it isn't just a matter of adjusting the embouchure correctly and adding a pinch of tofu. whatever you are going for is going to take massive amounts of face time.
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had a problem attaining a good sound on Flugelhorn. I have worked with some players who do have trouble with this. Their approach to playing the Flugel is the same as playing the trumpet.

They both have valves,a cupped mouthpiece with similar rims,but they are different instruments.Trying to blow into a Flugel with same intensity as you would a trumpet loses the softness of the Flugel,don't over blow.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Innella wrote:
I never had a problem attaining a good sound on Flugelhorn. I have worked with some players who do have trouble with this. Their approach to playing the Flugel is the same as playing the trumpet.

They both have valves,a cupped mouthpiece with similar rims,but they are different instruments.Trying to blow into a Flugel with same intensity as you would a trumpet loses the softness of the Flugel,don't over blow.

al

it took me a good bit to get into back off mode with the flugel. even more important my perception of sound changed and i was by and by able to hear more deeply into the sound. likely the process of becoming aware of overtones and parts of the sound, my vocabulary and ability to describe sound is limited. how can you play an instrument and not hear the sound? don't ask...
the instrument is well worth the effort of learning witness the many jazz artists who double flugel and trumpet. for me it's a natural one two.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: