• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Soprano cornet mouthpiece shank size

View previous topic :: View next topic  
weezintrumpeteer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Soprano cornet mouthpiece shank size Reply with quote

My Dad picked up a beautiful little vintage Eb soprano cornet from the early 1900s a while ago, sans mouthpiece. We purchased a Wick soprano cornet mouthpiece for it, but it seems that the shank is a bit too large to fit properly into the receiver. The mouthpiece goes in just enough to stay in (barely), but not as much as it should.

Are there different soprano cornet mouthpiece shank sizes or is it possible that the receiver of the cornet is incorrect?

Any help is appreciated!
'47 Martin Committee Deluxe #3
'06 Monette B993
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things have changed over time...

Honestly, older Eb cornets have plenty of problems - not going to be useful for ensemble playing, so we're looking for something to make it playable enough to enjoy on its own terms.

eBay may yield some suitable period pieces.
Otherwise maybe look at different brands of modern pieces.. I'm not sure how much it will help, but Schilke cornet pieces insert much more than other makes (they're longer in length too, though).
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an early 1900's cornet not long ago. When I got it, I realized it was in C. It came with a mouthpiece. Good thing as nothing else I had fit the old horn. Sometimes you get lucky. Well, lucky in one way, it has a mouthpiece. Still trying to come up with a use for a C cornet.

[img]CIMG2765 by genevie7, on Flickr[/img]

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
weezintrumpeteer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
Things have changed over time...

Honestly, older Eb cornets have plenty of problems - not going to be useful for ensemble playing, so we're looking for something to make it playable enough to enjoy on its own terms.

eBay may yield some suitable period pieces.
Otherwise maybe look at different brands of modern pieces.. I'm not sure how much it will help, but Schilke cornet pieces insert much more than other makes (they're longer in length too, though).

Yeah, honestly this is just for playing around with for fun. Nothing serious!

I'll investigate Schilke - thanks!
'06 Monette B993
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an old cornet receiver recut with a morse reamer so it would take a modern mouthpiece. It doesn't involve the removal of much metal.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
I had an old cornet receiver recut with a morse reamer so it would take a modern mouthpiece. It doesn't involve the removal of much metal.

Brilliant idea!!

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I'd rather modify a replaceable mouthpiece shank than take a reamer to an irreplaceable receiver...
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not worried about getting a truly correct fit and just want enough metal in the receiver to feel secure, Yamaha mouthpieces would be another option as well as Schilke.

If you can find a similarly ancient soprano cornet mouthpiece, there's certainly no guarantee that it'll be a good fit. There's also the issue of what the mouthpiece itself would be like. Bb cornet mouthpieces from 100+ years ago tend to be pretty small diameters with 'cookie-cutter' rims. The sop equivalent could be seriously strange for anyone used to mainstream modern trumpet mouthpieces. That said, it could be good to try the horn with something similar to what it was originally intended for. The horn might actually play better than with any modern mouthpiece, as long as you can get the rim to work with your chops. (I'd be interested if anyone on TH is familiar with sop pieces from way back and has any comments on what they're like to play.)

If it was mine, and I was bothered about getting a truly correct fit with a modern mouthpiece, I'd open up the receiver rather than alter any mouthpieces. In the context of a horn that's only a bit of fun anyway, I'd see this as a 'safe' modification. There's not much ambiguity about what exactly is being done or how it's likely to affect the instrument. The major benefit is you can keep trying any mouthpiece that comes your way in the hope of finding a better match to the horn, without already being 'committed'.

Just a thought - if the horn is high pitch, but you can just about get it down to A=440, the poor mouthpiece fit is actually an advantage. (IMO it's always good for a horn to be playable at A=440 even if it's unlikely to ever leave the house!)

Mike
weezintrumpeteer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. I ended up ordering a Yamaha mouthpiece as a test - we'll see what happens!
'06 Monette B993
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: