• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Unusual configuration horn -- what is it? Olds ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CartersPop

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Unusual configuration horn -- what is it? Olds ? Reply with quote

Grazing a popular site to pick up undervalued horns (generally at least) and came across an unusually configured trumpet in rather nice condition and obviously quality construction. It has the unusual configuration of lead pipe tuning slide entering the back-side (left side) of the third valve casing, and has side mounted water keys on both the tuning slide (left mounted) and third valve slide (right mounted) along the style of many upper level Olds horns of the 30's-50's eras, give or take. Nice nickel plated ferrules and valve casing parts, with heavyweight flared valve casing bottoms (looks original rather than add-ons). With more modern recessed pad valve top caps, and a very nice ornate pinky hook on the lead pipe and adjustable third valve slide throw ring. Relatively ornate engraving not well shown in the few pics available for review. And neither case nor accoutrements are helpful to me as none, even the horn or mp's or mutes, are listed as to manufacturer. And Horn-u-copia is not help with ID-ing it in Olds or other major brands I can come across with this combo of parts.

Color me lost as to what this is, but obviously many others must know as it is already bid up pretty high, far above my range beyond that of pure interest. And since it will disappear into obscurity in a few scant hours, likely never to be seen again by me at least, I ask if others know of what make and model this attractive piece be? Thanks for indulging my curiosity. j

[img][/img]
Conn '27 22B New York Symphony Trum
White '25 King Liberty Silver Trum
JinYin '15 Marching Bb Fr Horn
Conn '35 New Wonder 80A Corn w/m
Pan-Am '23 40I Bari
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a Buescher Model 224 (lightweight) or 225, also known as the 400.
CartersPop

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffM729 wrote:
That is a Buescher Model 224 (lightweight) or 225, also known as the 400.

Thanks Jeff.

I had little knowledge of Buescher horns other than coming across them occasionally on other sites, and was not aware that they put out any trumpets with side mounted water keys. Even reviewing their models on Horn-u-copia shows that few, even of Buescher's many models with the inverted tuning slide - third valve placements, actually had the side mounts, namely the 400 you mention and I guess one called Truetone. Very nice looking horn, and obviously rare enough and in good enough condition to warrant a "sight unseen" high purchase price.

Thanks again for the education. A little knowledge goes a long way. Knowledge is inherently good.

Another Jeff.
Pan-Am '23 40I Bari
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Model 224 is the medium bore version, where the Model 225 is the medium-large version. Because I can see rings near the bottoms of the valve casings it is clearly a Model 225.

As for those parts being "nickel plated", they are solid nickel-silver. This is arguably one of the best vintage horns you can buy. They are uncommon, so few people know of them, and for those that do known the name "Buescher", they sneer "student horn" because they don't know any better. All the big companies and many of the smaller ones were cranking out plain, inexpensive horns at that time. Doens't mean that they were crap!

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
tom pennell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Buescher 225 Reply with quote

I bought a 225 just recently from a senior member of both this, and the other forum. It already is vying for pride of place.
I am forever in his debt.
Regards,Tom
CartersPop

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tom.
It is clear from closer review that this particular horn is in pretty good looking shape for being a vintage 1940's horn since it looks darn near identical to its look-alike 225 in the Horn-u-copia site Buescher listing. And clearly on build par or better with many if not most professional contemporaries from other bigger name manufacturers of the day. Truly a level of unique yet subtle style that should have jumped off the page at me when I first grazed it but required me to instead be made curious by the extreme level of interest laid to a horn on the goodwill site where it was. I hope it is as good playing condition as it is looking condition, and that whoever got her is pleased with their plunder for their price. I know nothing of its real value, but now have my curiosity piqued regards further Buescher offerings I may come across at some time in the future. Thanks again.

jeff
Pan-Am '23 40I Bari
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: