• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen Deluxe v. Super Deluxe?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirkeran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Getzen Deluxe v. Super Deluxe? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm looking into buying a Getzen horn, but there's not a lot of details about the Getzen Deluxe online. Am I miss-IDing this trumpet? Regardless, can you tell me anything about it as far as age and quality? Serial no. 23xxx. Images: https://imgur.com/a/1boIBSR
tom pennell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Getzen age Reply with quote

I have both a Deluxe and Super Deluxe Tone Balanced Getzen. Dating either of them is almost impossible, as the records were lost in a factory fire, around 1964 I believe.
The serial number on my Deluxe is 13xxx. I have seen anecdotal info on either this site or TM, suggesting a serial number in the 13xxx area, is from the late 1940's, perhaps around 1947, but this is far from authoritative. They are both great instruments, and I believe, some of the most aesthetically pleasing of any era.
Regards,Tom
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know... The Deluxe/ Super Deluxe horns play like student horns at best. They look pretty cool, but are not the equal of any pro instrument and are largely eclipsed by modern student horns as well. If you are looking for some sort of vintage Getzen, I would look for a Severensen Eterna or something like that. They have always been seen as a good value and are very useable, in a modern sense.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeLoeffler wrote:
Just so you know... The Deluxe/ Super Deluxe horns play like student horns at best. They look pretty cool, but are not the equal of any pro instrument and are largely eclipsed by modern student horns as well. If you are looking for some sort of vintage Getzen, I would look for a Severensen Eterna or something like that. They have always been seen as a good value and are very useable, in a modern sense.

I have a Super Deluxe in my collection. It's a beautiful horn aesthetically and it has some historical value but it's a mediocre horn as a player.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: