• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

iPac Triple vs iPac Quad

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: iPac Triple vs iPac Quad Reply with quote

I'm considering purchasing one of these cases, as I can get a nice price on them.

I have an old ProTec triple from 20 some years ago that is mostly used for storage, but it did the trick back in the day. The new ones seem to have a little nicer material (wasn't a huge fan of dust collecting cordura) and seem to be more flexible in what you can put in there (maybe a little taller for cornets). Plus, wheels seem a nice option for getting it from my vehicle to the rehearsal hall.

I don't have a real agenda for what I'd need it for. I own multiple Bb trumpets, several cornets, a C trumpet (used very occasionally, currently), a flugel, a piccolo, an Eb trumpet, and an Eb cornet. I could see bringing multiple trumpets + stuff (mutes, etc), multiple cornets + stuff, trumpet and cornet + stuff, or trumpet + flugel + stuff.

Does anyone have any experience with either or both of these? Comments as far as materials, flexibility, usability, use of wheels, fitting cornets or flugels, and how big and bulky the quad is in reality are welcome.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is that the quad is just big and bulky enough that I don't use it for much more than storage.. very rare for me to use it for a gig.

The triple on the other hand, I use quite frequently.. I can't help you with the flying portion, not something I do with trumpets.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of the newer triple cases and use it for two horns and all my other stuff (mutes, trumpet stand, glasses, extra mouthpieces, valve oil, etc.). It is tall enough for most cornets, too. The outside pocket will hold a music folder, but the case is still not too big and bulky.

For me, a quad case is too big, and they are too heavy if you put 4 horns or 3 horns + a lot of other crap in them. Wheels are nice for heavy cases, but not all places you need to carry a case are wheel friendly.

Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of the first iPac triples with wheels that I use a lot and like quite well. If I'm taking more than one trumpet, that's what I use. I often take Bb, C, picc.

On the rare occasions I take my flugel someplace, I schlep an old bulky, heavy, ProTec combo trumpet/flugel case. I've never investigated reorganizing the dividers in my iPac triple to fit the flugel, so I have no idea if it fits or not. Sorry. (I don't own any cornets.)

On an unrelated note, I love my Bags of Spain single case, which I no longer see on their website. It's light, compact, has room for three mutes, and an outer pocket that holds music and other stuff. Thanks to TH member giakara for turning me on to it.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for everyone's thoughts! Keep chiming in!

zaferis wrote:
.. I can't help you with the flying portion, not something I do with trumpets.

Well, I'd doubt I'd ever fly with it, so that's fine!
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump!
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
DoubleEagle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale - The Protec triple with wheels must be a little smaller. I can't get all that stuff in the middle compartment with a trumpet in one, and a cornet in the other. Even a straight mute won't fit, much less the cup and Harmon you've got in yours.

I scored a great deal on a used one today in mint condition, but now I have questions. Do you put the foam spacers under the horn too? Otherwise the valve blocks sit unpadded. Also the mouthpiece pouches don't seem to attach that securely. Have they ever come off and banged around on anyone. This is my first experience with anything other than a single Protec where the mouthpiece holders are built in.
Benge CG, Early '70s Selmer piccolo, Early '80s Selmer piccolo, Conn 12A cornet, Conn 38A cornet, Conn 48A Connqueror "Vocabell", Conn Connquest 76A cornet, Conn Director 17A Coprion cornet, Conn Director 15A cornet, '50 Olds valve/slide trombone
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The size difference you note is interesting. Yes, my horns rest on foam blocks on either side of the bottom of the valves. The valve block doesn't even contact the bottom of the case. I've never had a mouthpiece holder come loose, but I suppose it's possible with rough treatment.
DoubleEagle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if they thought people using cases with wheels would be traveling and this might qualify as a carry-on if it were an inch or two smaller in width. I decided to put 2 foam blocks on either side of the valve block too too, only both horns have at least one slide stop bar on the bottom. The Conn 38A has them on both the 1st and 3rd slides. Hopefully they just sink into the block.

I've stuck the mouthpiece pouches to the bottom of the middle compartment. They seem to stick better there, maybe because nothing has been stuck there before. I assume that nothing can get from one compartment to another, so they should be good there, even if they come loose.

This seems to be a very nice case - maybe not as sturdy as the originals, but probably adequate protection under most circumstances. It's certainly convenient considering what I have to carry. In addition to the 2 horns, I also carry a variety of mutes, a Hamilton horn stand, a large folio, and a plastic fold-up music stand. The music stand, horn stand, and the mutes are the only things that won't go in, and will require only 2 additional small bags. It could be worse. I could have to bring my own chair too. <grin>
Benge CG, Early '70s Selmer piccolo, Early '80s Selmer piccolo, Conn 12A cornet, Conn 38A cornet, Conn 48A Connqueror "Vocabell", Conn Connquest 76A cornet, Conn Director 17A Coprion cornet, Conn Director 15A cornet, '50 Olds valve/slide trombone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: