• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bells Slide Grease

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zack_Mac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Bells Slide Grease Reply with quote

I know that Bell's Super Lube is no longer in production. I never cared much for the oil, but I absolutely loved their slide grease. It came in a nail polish type bottle with a brush applicator. Does anybody know of a comparable replacement? I'm running low on the bottle I bought years ago and need something new.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with that product, but I love Spacefiller TS for tuning and 2nd valve slides.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve also used Spacefiller, but was introduced to Hetman 5 for first and third slides, 6 for the tuning slide. For me it’s even better, the 6 really corrected a problem I had with a very tight tuning slide.

Brad
Zack_Mac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. However, the Bells Slide Grease was for the main tuning slide. I use Hetman 4 for my first and third slides and it works great. What was great about the Bells Slide Grease was it was super viscus and, according to them, protected the slide against corrosion (which I would agree with). Super bummed I can't get it anymore.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with Bell's and can't find anything online. But FWIW, I am sold on using anhydrous lanolin for my main slide. I get mine at any place that sells baby supplies. Nursing mothers use it to soothe irritated skin. Lansinoh is a popular brand but there are plenty of others. Comes in a little small squeeze tube.

Even the Wikipedia entry acknowledges that it's being used for brass instrument slides.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanolin

Note that anhydrous lanolin has a consistency resembling Vasoline which is what you want. There are other hydrous lanolins that are cream-like that aren't likely to work for slides.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: