• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Smaller diameter mouthpiece to extend range on flugelhorns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bassguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Smaller diameter mouthpiece to extend range on flugelhorns Reply with quote

It's almost a given in this sight that inner rim diameter should be a fixed entity like a shoo size, and that the cup depth may vary accotding to desired range extension (shallow) or desired darkness of timbre (depth). But for example, what if a playerv gets great range extention on his trumpet using a shallow Yammy 17B trumpet mpc (17.3 mm). If range extention on his flugelhorn is as much a priority, as well as a dark sound only a deep mouthpiece can give, can it be desirable to go down to a smaller diameter flugelhorn mouthpiece, say a Curry 3FL flugelhorn mouthpiece @ 16.9 mm inner rim, instead of the larger Curry 1FL @ 17.22 mm, the counterpart to the 17.3 trumpet mouthpiece in diameter

In other words, shouldn't over all volume consideratons possibly trump diameter as a be all, end all factor? I'm prone to looking at this wholistically from an air resistant point of view. One favorite flugelhorn mouthpiece of mine is the Yamaha 11F4. It's cornet counterpart is an 11E4 which I percieve as smallee & seems constrained on the smaller Pocket trumpet I play, & that's to the extent thaty lips won't vibrate freely in the lowest register. (Pinching the sound!) On that smaller trumpet the larger 13E4 feels less constrained. A 16.7 mm, it's .26 mm larger in diameter t(& with a real V shape) compared to my 11F4 & 11E4 pieces (16.24mm)

Last edited by bassguy on Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience narrowing the diameter of the cup doesn't affect range to any significant degree (nor does reducing the volume of the cup). Range is a product of proper fundamentals. There are no magic mouthpieces.
bassguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
In my experience narrowing the diameter of the cup doesn't affect range to any significant degree (nor does reducing the volume of the cup). Range is a product of proper fundamentals. There are no magic mouthpieces.

OK how about endurance & range. Won't you concede that one can play really high after warming up, & will poop out
more quickly using a larger volume mouthpiece?
Sharkbaitboi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bassguy wrote:
HERMOKIWI wrote:

OK how about endurance & range. Won't you concede that one can play really high after warming up, & will poop out
more quickly using a larger volume mouthpiece?

I think the throat and backbore have more to do with it. 1C is fine
bassguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:

So if depth & cup diameter are irrelevant, can you hit your absolutd highest notes using a Flip Oaks Extreme Flugelhorn Mouthpiece (specs @7.69 diameter, Depth 1 1/4 inches, throat width 1/4 of an inch
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate that some players can go smaller or shallower and get some help upstairs on the Bb, C or picc. I haven't experimented enough to know but I'd be surprised if that were true on the flugel just because the blow is so different.

On the other side of the equation, if you wander too far from a suitable diameter, cup and drill/bore then things can get quite a bit harder.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smaller diameter does not make high notes easier, unless you're playing on something inefficient. I have a few mouthpieces that are very similar except for the diameter, and the narrower ones just make it harder to get a decent sound, and to let the lip vibrate properly. You need to find the one that fits YOU.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i play on a 1 1/2 C, i'll struggle for the upper register.
I play upsized ID mpcs from Marcinkiewicz Ingram (ID between Bach 10 1/2 & 10 3/4)
I can play til high B (below Double C) on my flug mpc based on Bobby Shew's (very deep, open throat & bb). I couldn't with a 1 or 3C, or just struggling hard, not for stage !

So, ID does count. The ID that fits you.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends what you're really looking for.

If you're looking to add notes to the top, then changing diameter (or cup depth or shape for that matter) isn't going to help - you need dedicated and intelligent practice (and ideally a good teacher).

If you're looking for more endurance on the upper register you already have then it might help a bit... but you'll have to practice to acclimate to the new piece and that will take longer because of the change in ID - it may be that spending practice time on acclimating to a different ID isn't necessary and/or worth it (when that amount of practice time might give you what you need on the larger piece).

Remember, there are a lot of people who do everything superbly using only one ID... and there are also a lot of people who get excellent results using a variety of different ID's, rim shapes, brands (etc).

I don't subscribe to the "shoe-size" analogy - I did in the past, but these days I tend to think that it's a question of comfort and familiarity...
Many/most players have put in a lot more practice time in on equipment of one rough size and then find it uncomfortable to switch (I used to be one of these), old habits die hard as they say!
With diligent practice and realistic expectations of progress, though, this sense of being locked-in to one immutable size bracket fades away... at this point, I can (and have) played on sizes ranging from a Bach 1C to a Bach 20C - but for consistency it makes sense not to bounce around too much (so I don't). The best compromise (for me) lies towards the smaller end of that scale, but I rarely have time to practice more than an hour or so each evening (that "best compromise" might be significantly different for someone with 4+ hours a day to practice).
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to precise, i play on only one ID, the same for all my mpcs
feedback@stomvi-usa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it possibly be the design not the diameter?

Link

https://stomvi-usa.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/stomviusavideo
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stomvi-USA/106129483617
https://twitter.com/Stomvi_USA
888-702-7277
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bassguy wrote:
HERMOKIWI wrote:

So if depth & cup diameter are irrelevant, can you hit your absolutd highest notes using a Flip Oaks Extreme Flugelhorn Mouthpiece (specs @7.69 diameter, Depth 1 1/4 inches, throat width 1/4 of an inch

I have no doubt whatsoever that I can hit my highest notes on virtually any mouthpiece whether it be trumpet, cornet or flugelhorn. The differences will be in the tonal quality, stability and consistency, not in the range itself.

Bill Watrous, on his trombone, could play the pitch equivalent to a trumpeter's double G (4 ledger lines above the staff) and even higher and he could do it consistently, in tune and with a full sound on his trombone mouthpiece.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue for me was the QUALITY of the sound above the staff on a larger flugel mouthpiece (not that I wanted to play up there a lot). I experienced a big difference from my Curry 3FL to my Shew Flugel piece.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: extended range on flugelhorns Reply with quote

A few gear tuning related things that (for me) facilitate ease of flugelhorn upper range.

Tuning pipe: Just as many of you may have discovered experimenting with trumpet tuning slides, no two are identical. I have compared flug tuning pipes from the same model of horn and discovered significant differences. In fact, I just sold a 631 to one of the guys here on TH and I anticipate he's going to be quite thrilled with the clarity and ease upstairs, exceptional tuning pipe on that horn.

Valve alignment: Do it!

Valve washer pad material: I use sheet goods by Kraus Music Products to stamp my washers from, a fairly firm, dense material that definitely affects resonance/feedback to the chops. While traditional felt washers somewhat dampen and provide more of a fluffy/pillowy sound, the denser synthetic material provides crisper/cleaner results that (I find) help in the upper range. The affect can be compared to the dif between nylon and brass valve guides.

Fresh water key corks:Do it!

Finally, I'm sure some of you will think this stuff is all poo-poo, but it's probably because you haven't found the correct size tin foil hat. I'm not going to apologize for being properly fitted. lol
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: extended range on flugelhorns Reply with quote

_Daff wrote:
Finally, I'm sure some of you will think this stuff is all poo-poo, but it's probably because you haven't found the correct size tin foil hat. I'm not going to apologize for being properly fitted. lol

Ha! But yes, I have personally experienced the difference small changes in material can make on a horn. I was actually shocked at the difference it made in the upper register of one of my trumpets.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Smaller diameter mouthpiece to extend range on flugelhor Reply with quote

bassguy wrote:
It's almost a given in this sight that inner rim diameter should be a fixed entity like a shoo size, and that the cup depth may vary accotding to desired range extension (shallow) or desired darkness of timbre (depth). But for example, what if a playerv gets great range extention on his trumpet using a shallow Yammy 17B trumpet mpc (17.3 mm). If range extention on his flugelhorn is as much a priority, as well as a dark sound only a deep mouthpiece can give, can it be desirable to go down to a smaller diameter flugelhorn mouthpiece, say a Curry 3FL flugelhorn mouthpiece @ 16.9 mm inner rim, instead of the larger Curry 1FL @ 17.22 mm, the counterpart to the 17.3 trumpet mouthpiece in diameter

In other words, shouldn't over all volume consideratons possibly trump diameter as a be all, end all factor? I'm prone to looking at this wholistically from an air resistant point of view. One favorite flugelhorn mouthpiece of mine is the Yamaha 11F4. It's cornet counterpart is an 11E4 which I percieve as smallee & seems constrained on the smaller Pocket trumpet I play, & that's to the extent thaty lips won't vibrate freely in the lowest register. (Pinching the sound!) On that smaller trumpet the larger 13E4 feels less constrained. A 16.7 mm, it's .26 mm larger in diameter t(& with a real V shape) compared to my 11F4 & 11E4 pieces (16.24mm)

You could try a smaller diameter, however a cornet mouthpiece in same inner rim diameter dimension would be my first choice.

That 17B trumpet mouthpiece seems entirely too large for me. Unless you never play above the staff. This however is a forum on high range so I assume that you do want better range. In my opinion? You seem to be putting cart before horse here. The usual choice is to change cup depths before rim dimensions. Puts the chops in less confusion.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know “upper register” doesn’t mean the same thing to everyone, but is “upper register” playing that much of a concern on a FLUGELHORN?

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: