• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet to French Horn Mouthpiece question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay2015trumpet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Trumpet to French Horn Mouthpiece question Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to model French Horn for some of my students but haven't played it in a while and didn't really focus on gear too much in methods courses. I usually feel most comfortable on trumpet mouthpieces in a 10.5C-7B size range from Bach, Stomvi, Horn Trader/Curry, and ACB, depending on how much I've been playing and whether my face is swelling or tiring out.
Is there a brand and size of French horn mouthpiece that might fit me on a professional level Accent horn from B&S? Should I go bigger than usual for the horn piece, or try to find one in my trumpet diameter range?

Thanks for any ideas!
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you are just modeling and not looking to perform, I would say go to a smaller diameter for the horn. Also, not too deep a cup and a smaller bore size would help. Remember you are not looking to get the ultimate horn sound. I've always played a 7 size trumpet mouthpiece and I found the Wick Paxman 9 to be very easy to make the switch. I'm full time now on horn and would never play it due to the sound and small size, but it really makes the switch from smaller trumpet mouthpieces easier.

These guys are very easy to order from:

https://www.dfmusicinc.com/category_s/224.htm

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've considered it, I wouldn't try to find an "analogous" French horn to trumpet mpc. I would pick a Horn mpc. as a stand alone piece. Although I've played other mouthpieces, I've found the Schilke Farkas the most universally adaptable.

You know, though, there are things that might come easily to you when switching from Horn to trumpet, like range. Don't be fooled that wowing everyone with your range on Horn will overpower vital things like a good tone, or accuracy.

Caveat: I played Horn in a university, Royal Hawaiian Band, Tokyo Youth Philharmonic, and a service band.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's wrong to think that a Horn mouthpiece should compare in any way to your trumpet mouthpiece. A Horn plays entirely different to a trumpet and makes entirely different demands on your lips.

I hate the Bach 1.5 rim shape and size on my Bb. I prefer a smaller ID and slightly wider and flatter rim (on the Bb). But for the Horn I play a piece noticeably bigger than that and with a (relatively) very narrow rim. Range and endurance are never a problem on the Horn because the blow is so very different.

I seem to recall that the Horn mouthpiece I have is the Faxx Farkas model.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Jay2015trumpet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies! I wasn't set on getting a horn piece with a similar rim size to my trumpet mouthpieces. I just didn't know any specific avenue to pursue on the topic. I went ahead and ordered a Schilke 30. I found an ad for a Houghton H3 that looked more promising as a direct or even improved copy of the original Schilke Farkas model, but the company website didn't seem to offer any tops for the backbores.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay2015trumpet wrote:
Thanks for all the replies! I wasn't set on getting a horn piece with a similar rim size to my trumpet mouthpieces. I just didn't know any specific avenue to pursue on the topic. I went ahead and ordered a Schilke 30. I found an ad for a Houghton H3 that looked more promising as a direct or even improved copy of the original Schilke Farkas model, but the company website didn't seem to offer any tops for the backbores.

Good choice. The Schilke has a smaller diameter and relatively small bore. That should make it much easier to make the transition.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: