• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Advice on Inexpensive but Decent Flugelhorns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpl1954

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Advice on Inexpensive but Decent Flugelhorns Reply with quote

I would appreciate any advise on an inexpensive but decent Flugelhorn. I saw a Wisemann FLH-600 online and a ACB Doubler in the $400.00-$700.00 range but have not heard much about them. I'm a trombone player and would like to buy one but not quite ready to spend pro dollars on a pro horn just yet. Any recommendations? Would appreciate it and thanks.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy secondhand.

You'll get a better instrument for the money and it won't lose value if you decide to shift it again.
jpl1954

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
Buy secondhand.

You'll get a better instrument for the money and it won't lose value if you decide to shift it again.

Any info on any these 2 models??
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not firsthand, no.

But as you said: "I would appreciate any advise on an inexpensive but decent Flugelhorn"
I proffered my personal advice - which is that it makes far better sense (to me) to buy used
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the ABC and the Dillon-sold flugelhorns get reasonable reviews and both sellers are said to be outstanding. This seems like the way to go if you want to buy new.

Another option to consider is a student model Yamaha. I've seen these sold second-hand for very little money and the ones I've played were surprisingly good. Not as rich a sound as a pro model but plenty good enough for starting out.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can run a search or read the reviews of the ACB doubler online. They seem to be well received!

Of course anyone who's interested can call the shop or email us anytime.

Next batch (about 400 of them) coming in a month or so.
-T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
jpl1954

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
Both the ABC and the Dillon-sold flugelhorns get reasonable reviews and both sellers are said to be outstanding. This seems like the way to go if you want to buy new.

Another option to consider is a student model Yamaha. I've seen these sold second-hand for very little money and the ones I've played were surprisingly good. Not as rich a sound as a pro model but plenty good enough for starting out.

Thanks!!
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of Trent's Doubler Flugelhorns and I use it about twice as much as my Yamaha YFL-631. I prefer to use it in the pit where things are tight. I bought a Yamaha lead pipe and it made an already well-playing horn even better...

HTH

Ben
MikeGreeninger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
Buy secondhand.

Agree with TKSop 100% here, I purchased a Couesnon Flugelhorn for around $600 a few years back, and it has been one of my favorite horns and also has increased in value (just looking at Ebay prices.) I don't really see the logic in buying a new horn that doesn't hold it's value (almost like buying a new car right off the lot) but then again that is my view of it and it is up to everyone to spend their money how they see fit. So go with what ever will make you happy

All the best,
Mike
outskiing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: EF Durand Reply with quote

On a lark I bought an EF Durand flugelhorn from a local seller for less than $200. I wanted something to play while I save up for my preferred horn and while its nothing you would use for recording, its a lot of fun to practice and bring to church once in a while.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know they typically go for more, but I got a Yamaha 731 for under $800 within the past year or so.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on Inexpensive but Decent Flugelhorns Reply with quote

jpl1954 wrote:
I would appreciate any advise on an inexpensive but decent Flugelhorn. I saw a Wisemann FLH-600 online and a ACB Doubler in the $400.00-$700.00 range but have not heard much about them. I'm a trombone player and would like to buy one but not quite ready to spend pro dollars on a pro horn just yet. Any recommendations? Would appreciate it and thanks.

I've not tried the Wisemann. But I've tried the ACB (the last generation, not the current version of the horn, and with a replacement leadpipe added). I thought the ACB was pretty nice for this type of horn.

FWIW, if I wanted a new flugelhorn, and I didn't want to spend much $$, the ACB, Dillon Music, and Allora flugelhorns would be ones that I would consider. Trent has already replied about the ACB, giving you an idea of how much he backs the horns he sells. And as was suggested by others, if I had a little more $$ and was willing to buy a used horn, there are a lot of used pro horns out there, too.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha 731/631 some times are very cheap on eBay and are unbeatable, a other very decent and even cheaper solusion is a used Getzen Capri flugel , great valves,easy to manage nice sound and very very cheap some times.
Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having gone through a long safari for a Flugel that I would love not just "get by" with.. I'd say to look for the best second hand one you can find.. IMO the nature of Flugle horns is for them to be pretty squirrely brand to brand, model to model, and horn to horn.

For a very inexpensive one shop with Trent Austin.. ACB or other second hand instrument.
For top of the line you can work with him as well and get an Adams.

Old stand by, a Yamaha 631.. and they play very much like a trumpet, so "getting used" to it is not an issue. Student models have more issues with tuning, I'd pass on those.

Van Laar, Adams, Kanstul - top ot the heap
Yamaha, Couesnon - old standards
Jupiter, XO, CarolBrass making very excellent contributions
Bach, Schilke, Getzen outliers..

I've gone with a Bach, but I was trying to complete my set of Bach trumpets (as a Bach Endorsing Artist), so after some looking, custom work and a leadpipe from Charlie Melk I'm happy with my Flugel - but was not an inexpensive trip.

Good luck.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
jpl1954

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone...appreciate it!
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:

I've gone with a Bach, but I was trying to complete my set of Bach trumpets (as a Bach Endorsing Artist), so after some looking, custom work and a leadpipe from Charlie Melk I'm happy with my Flugel - but was not an inexpensive trip.

Hi

I too went with Bach. I bought my flugel from a USA music store via Ebay without having tried it, and never having even played a Bach 183 flugel horn. I know, it sounds rather unwise. Anyway, I lucked out and it has turned out to be a great flugel horn. When I first bought it, I had only played a couple of different flugel horns, and although I've tried a few more since, including a Yamaha 631, I've never found one I like as much. Maybe it is just the devil you know, but I've always been very pleased with my sound on my Bach 183 flugel. I didn't mind the Yamaha 631 I tried, but I found that it was harder to approach as a flugel and therefore harder to get my flugel sound. What I mean, is that whereas I'm used to approaching my Bach 183 like a flugel, if I wasn't careful, the Yamaha 631 would let me approach it more like a trumpet. I felt that I had to work harder to maintain a flugel approach with it, whereas it comes naturally with the Bach 183. Maybe it is simply my familiarity with my Bach 183, but I gelled with it straight away.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video is a Chinese cheapie stencilhorn. This basic model horn can be found on Ebay for under $300. I'd say they fit the criteria of decent and inexpensive. Plays nice, has quick, buttery smooth valves. The video was done using the nondescript mouthpiece that came with it.

I got two of them just to see how they sounded and how consistent the manufacture on them was. They both sounded and played fine. I made the video to sell it on eBay since I didn't need two and the one that I kept was a little nicer cosmetically. I left the video up for when the question about cheap flugels comes up.

This link is the other horn - essentially the same model stencilhorn using a Denis Wick 4FL mouthpiece. It's a short clip to show someone how the mic I was using worked on a flugel.

Link

Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: