• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Need a 5C for my son - silver?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stephenwb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Need a 5C for my son - silver? Reply with quote

Several questions from an uneducated non-player that I'm hoping you will help me understand more about. I would appreciate any time to answer one, some, all, or whatever you feel like, I'm sure the communal wisdom will help me.

My son is in 9th grade, marching band and concert band. He's been playing the 7C that came with the cheap Olds we got him for 6th grade, and his teachers say he needs to move to a 5C. I'm in the process of buying him a Bach Strad 37 (silver) as soon as I win an eBay auction for a price we can afford, and depending on which one, we might get a 5C with it, or not. Knowing almost nothing about mouthpieces other than what I have gleaned here and on eBay, I have a few questions.

1. Should I, or *must* I purchase a Bach MP for a Bach horn? Or should any brand fit in any trumpet?
    2. MPs seem to come in various colors/finishes, but what is the "default"? i.e. if a MP is listed for sale as just "Vincent Bach 5C" does that mean it will be silver, or brass, or something else?
    3. Should I be looking for a specific color/finish to match the new silver horn, or (as above) are all interchangeable?

CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any brand or finish will work just fine with the new trumpet!

Silver is the typical finish, but some players (including myself) prefer the feel of gold. It is a little bit pricier though. But yes, if it just says “Vincent Bach 5C” it refers to the silver finish. If it is gold, it will specify. Gold is NOT a necessity.

Generally, Bach instruments come with 3C mouthpieces, which would also work well. If you buy it used, it depends on the seller of whether or not it comes with a mouthpiece. 3Cs are a bit larger than 5Cs, which are a bit larger than 7Cs. In general, the number refers to the diameter size and the letter refers to inside cup depth.

Bach makes good mouthpieces, but if you/your son are interested you could go to a music store and try out Curry/Yamaha/Schilke. Those are around Bach prices. There are also GR/Monette/Marcinkiewicz that are a step up in cost. It doesn’t mean they are always better, it just depends on the individual’s preferences.

So, to conclude, you’re on the right track. Good luck!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first off - you didn't ask - is that I don't know that your son needs to change mouthpieces. A 7C is fine for his age. I played that size (although it was a Schilke) into college. What instrument does the band director play?

Regarding mouthpieces, there are scads of acceptable mouthpieces. You could consider Bach, Schilke, Carol, Curry - a lot. At his age, probably the best criteria is just what feels the most comfortable .If you want to send me your mailing address, I've got some in the 5C range for sale at varying prices ($20.00 - $110.00).

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should check the Trumpet Herald Marketplace for Bach Strads for sale. Just be sure to click on the "View Forum Posts" of each seller to be sure he or she is someone who has been contributing posts to the Trumpet Herald for a long time and in good quantity (some people come here and post 5 worthless posts in a matter of minutes just to meet the 5 post minimum requirement to list in the Marketplace - stay away from those types).

Concerning the Bach 5C, that is a good mouthpiece and I think a better mouthpiece than the 7C for most players. But why specifically does your son's teacher think that is the mouthpiece for him? Has he had your son test and play on various mouthpieces including the 5C, 3C and 1-1/2C in order to come to this conclusion? If the teacher is just picking the 5C because he personally likes it, that is not a good thing. You should ask him.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
stephenwb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
You should check the Trumpet Herald Marketplace for Bach Strads for sale.

I have. TBH the "problem" is that people who post there are educated/well aware of the actual value of their instruments, and it puts them out of my desired price range. My intent is to purchase a good-to-very-good condition 180S37 on eBay from someone who hasn't set the reserve/starting bid at $1,300+. I want my son to have a good trumpet, and also one I will be able to resell for close to what I pay for it if he quits after/during high school. BUT he's not [yet] a music major or a professional musician, so he doesn't need a $1,500-$3,000 trumpet, just one that is significantly better than the $70 Olds he is playing now.
John Mohan wrote:
Concerning the Bach 5C, that is a good mouthpiece and I think a better mouthpiece than the 7C for most players. But why specifically does your son's teacher think that is the mouthpiece for him? Has he had your son test and play on various mouthpieces including the 5C, 3C and 1-1/2C in order to come to this conclusion? If the teacher is just picking the 5C because he personally likes it, that is not a good thing. You should ask him.

I don't know, and I'll definitely ask before we buy one. A fact-finding and possibly purchasing trip to a local music store may be in order.
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a Bach 5c, send me a pm or email using the site buttons below and I will send you one. I have a handful in good, used shape that I don’t use. (They are the VB Corp versions, before the lettering change, probably from the 70’s or 80’s for those reading this that care. )

— Joe
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a 5C for my son - silver? Reply with quote

stephenwb wrote:
My son is in 9th grade, marching band and concert band. He's been playing the 7C that came with the cheap Olds we got him for 6th grade, and his teachers say he needs to move to a 5C.

If a trusted teacher recommends a Bach 5C then, by all means, try a Bach 5C. Some folks do great on them for their entire playing life. But know that the 5C (like the 7C) are considered by many to be relatively sharp and uncomfortable.
stephenwb wrote:
I'm in the process of buying him a Bach Strad 37 (silver) as soon as I win an eBay auction for a price we can afford, and depending on which one, we might get a 5C with it, or not.

Nothing wrong with a good used Bach 37 if you can find one you can afford.
stephenwb wrote:
Knowing almost nothing about mouthpieces other than what I have gleaned here and on eBay, I have a few questions.

1. Should I, or *must* I purchase a Bach MP for a Bach horn? Or should any brand fit in any trumpet?
    2. MPs seem to come in various colors/finishes, but what is the "default"? i.e. if a MP is listed for sale as just "Vincent Bach 5C" does that mean it will be silver, or brass, or something else?
    3. Should I be looking for a specific color/finish to match the new silver horn, or (as above) are all interchangeable?

1. No, you don't have to stick with Bach, but know that other "5C" mouthpieces may be quite different. Many actually prefer the Curry 5C.
2. Mouthpiece finish default is almost always silver. There are exceptions.
3. There's no reason to stray away from the stock silver plate. That is unless your son has an allergy to silver or plays in freezing temperatures. There's never a reason for the mouthpiece and horn to match finishes. Some competitive marching bands may require specific horn and mouthpiece finish but this is relatively uncommon.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seeing this to be a reoccurring theme.. most of the programs in my geographic area have all their beginners and advancing into high school trumpeters get a Bach 5C.. as the go to mouthpiece. Almost like some teacher training program/Music Ed department is teaching that this IS the one universal mouthpiece to go to. IMO is NOT a better choice than 7C / Yamaha 11B4 for most beginners/young players.
They're not that expensive, get a new one Bach 5C, but then again if you're buying a new instrument-a Bach Strad should come with a 3C.. to me a better choice anyway.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind the 5C, its backbore works nicely with a variety of horns.

Not a fan of the Bach 37. That is, in MY not-humble opinion, is the worst Bach around.

Ask the teachers why not smaller?

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of my younger students struggle with the sharper inner edge of the Bach 7C. I did myself, although I now own a 1920s Bach 7C that is fantastic, and NOTHING like the current 7C.

I recommend that students start on a 5C if the rim of a 7C hurts. The diameter is very minimally larger, but the high point is further out on the rim. I find it interesting that some think the 5C has a sharp edge. That has not been my impression, but we are all different and have our own likes and dislikes.

The reason I do not like students to start on a 3C is that I have seen some struggle not with the diameter, but the cup depth. Early on, some students have lips that protrude into the cup, and the 5C and 7C cups are both deeper thana 3C.

Just my opinions,

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
stephenwb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjl wrote:
If you want a Bach 5c, send me a pm or email using the site buttons below and I will send you one. I have a handful in good, used shape that I don’t use. (They are the VB Corp versions, before the lettering change, probably from the 70’s or 80’s for those reading this that care. )

— Joe

Email sent!
Thank you very much, it's very generous of you.
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While there is nothing wrong with a Bach 3C or 5C, there is also nothing wrong with a Bach 7C. If the student doesn't like the rim or finds the cup too deep on the 7C, the Bach 6C would be could be a good choice.

Most find the rim more comfortable than the 7C and the cup seems easier to play.I find the 3C cup a little too shallow for beginners and the 5C too deep.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m going to take a guess here. Your son has not indicated that he has any discomfort on the 7C, but a teacher has told him he needs to change to a 5C.
Hey, maybe there are some valid reasons why he should change....and maybe not necessarily. There are some schools of thought that say as a student progresses, they need to shift to larger mouthpieces, but the problem is that unless there has been some specific analysis by a teacher of your son’s needs, and I’ll bet there has not been, it may be unnecessary.
Regarding mouthpiece finish, 90% of what you will see is silver plate, which for most people is perfectly fine.

Finally, if your son is not taking private lessons, THAT will help his progress far more than a new horn or mouthpiece.

Best of luck!

Brad
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach 5C is a good move against 7C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: