• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sparke's Flowerdale (Soprano Cornet Solo) - Any Tips?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrahamB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Sparke's Flowerdale (Soprano Cornet Solo) - Any Tips? Reply with quote

Hey magnificent mouthpiece-musclers!

I'm having a look at Sparke's Flowerdale for a brass band solo piece. I love the awesome lyrical nature of the piece, but the ending tarts to get pretty darn tiring.

Anybody on here played this and have any pointers?
Bach Strad 229 C with Larson "O" Leadpipe/Slide
Bach Strad 182 Flugel
JLoyalist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Robert's version is the best I've ever heard.

He uses a tiny mouthpiece, a Bach 17C.

I would to say to make sure and play on a mouthpiece that makes playing in the overall range of the piece as easy as possible.

I would also really take a look at the phrases, and make sure you're pacing yourself properly. Don't blow your chops out in four bars.

Practice the piece at a comfortable dynamic with great attention to intonation, sound quality, and playing with grace.

Make sure to stay relaxed... not only in your body, but in your mind as well.

Hopefully this helps you out a little bit. Beautiful piece of music.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, take it as easy as you can...

Insist on the band keeping the accompaniment at the dynamics you pick and be careful not to get drawn into playing louder than you're comfortable with - it needs to feel relaxed, sweet and as warm as reasonably possible, and this won't work if the band plays too loud and pushes you to play louder.
This is something a lot of bands just aren't good at, but it's especially important with solo's like this.
It's not just stamina (though it'll make life a lot easier for you), but it'll make it easier for you to play it with a nice sound and produce a performance that is moving rather than vulgar and empty (and the latter is how I would describe the vast majority of performances I've heard of this piece).

I would personally resist the idea of using the smallest possible mouthpiece you can (I would generally with sop playing anyway) - I don't think the tone most players would get from those would be appropriate, especially for this kind of piece, nor would it help with the relaxed feel.

Make no mistake, it's a beast of a piece - especially to carry with class.
The key for me is to make sure you're pacing yourself (and again, the band keeping a lid on the accompaniment is vital).
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've performed it several times both on SOP and on Bb picc. Like others said, you really can't "wrestle" with this piece because it will win. It is very easy to play it down well and then lose it in the last few measures.
Peter Roberts recording has the most wonderful sound and, yes, he was playing on a small mouthpiece. The mouthpiece thing is going to have to be up to you as to what you're comfortable with. But, you have to stay relaxed.
My preference is a smallish mouthpiece (Wedge 10.5D) with an open backbore (Pickett #1 with a @27 throat).
GrahamB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

I do most of my playing on a Sparx 4E, and sometimes an Alliance Sop Plus. I like what was said about leading the charge with the dynamics - I've heard this piece played far too loudly, and that's definitely something to consider.

Peter Roberts' recording of this is basically what I refer to as an exemplary performance of this work. I think he hits the nail right on the head with his interpretation.

That last section sure is a doozy!
Bach Strad 229 C with Larson "O" Leadpipe/Slide
Bach Strad 182 Flugel
mskotko

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give the second half of 58 all of 59 and the first half of 60 to a solo cornet player so you can rest for the big finish. Peter Roberts does it well. I try to model my playing of Flowerdale after him.
PacoTheTrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Chase Hawkins's version listed here under audio is very beautiful also. https://www.trumpetchase.com/media
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: