• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Double C Fingering?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzhorn04
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Double C Fingering? Reply with quote

Tried to search the forum with no luck...

What fingering do you use for double C? Is there a "standard" fingering? I tried just about everything and, for me, 123 works best. Easiest to find and slot. What about you?
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open.
NevadaBigHorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a video where Brian McDonald said he uses 1 and 3. I'm sure it depends on the individual and the horn though. If 123 works for you great!
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think open works best for most players. However, I'm not sure it matters much. Double C isn't a note that really slots. It's more of a mind over matter thing. If you can hear it you can probably play it with any valve combination. I agree, however, that some combinations of mouthpiece, horn and player might make it easier with some fingerings more than others.

By the way, if this is your biggest and most urgent problem on the trumpet then I want to be you.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinky

Seriously - it's whatever fingering works best for you, your equipment and the way you play. That could also change from day to day.

I like 2+3 simply because it uses more tubing / different harmonic series / to me a bit fatter sound.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Palms together. Fingers sky-ward. "Some day...."
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open + the octave key.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
Pinky...

Definitely going in my next technique book! (or my first one...or whichever comes first)
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
Pinky

I would answer except that when I play Double High C, my eyes are too crossed to see what I'm doing.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I want DHCs I either finger the play button on my stereo, or I finger the keyboard of my phone and call my friend Steve Reed.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
When I want DHCs I either finger the play button on my stereo, or I finger the keyboard of my phone and call my friend Steve Reed.

John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
Double C isn't a note that really slots.

Actually it is, if the player has the physical strength to provide the necessary air pressure to make it a full power note. That said, I think most players that can reach a Double C aren't really slotting it - they've got the coordination side of the equation mastered and have enough strength to make it a reasonably full sounding note, but they aren't really able to slot it.

I really don't know who close the intervals are that high up in the harmonic series (less than a step - perhaps only a half step apart?). Perhaps someone that does know can share that info.

Cheers,

John
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
HERMOKIWI wrote:

Actually it is, if the player has the physical strength to provide the necessary air pressure to make it a full power note. That said, I think most players that can reach a Double C aren't really slotting it - they've got the coordination side of the equation mastered and have enough strength to make it a reasonably full sounding note, but they aren't really able to slot it.

I really don't know who close the intervals are that high up in the harmonic series (less than a step - perhaps only a half step apart?). Perhaps someone that does know can share that infoo.

Cheers,

John

John just did the near impossible. He turned this bragshare post of someone else's into something kinda interesting. Now? I almost feel like contributing. Lol. There certainly is a cool musical usage for double C and even above. However the audience best suited to appreciated such work is generally composed of other fellow trumpet players. They who like high notes. Some who can play pretty good high notes and many more who can't.

Speaking of the world of trumpet music appreciation? This field I think is generally composed of what I think are two types of performers. By the way, all the following is just my opinion. I'm writing as a human being. A happy one too. That and not some kind of authority figure trying to dictate or impose my belief system on anyone. These two types if trumpet players in commercial music ie Pop/Jazz/Show make up these two categories..

A. Those who can and do play high notes really well. Now this makes sense because absolutely no one wants to watch and listen to someone blow bad high notes. That and?

B. Those good, famous professional tlrumpet players who may or may not have a good register but for reasons of musical taste generally prefer not to play many high notes. Sometimes I think that the corporate music industry actively selects these cat.

What Maynard's passing did was prove that for whatever reason there never really was much room for anyone else at the peak of the corporate music world on trumpet. Not and plant his shingle out there for the world to see.

The corporate music world finally deemed high notes dead. In it's own sphere anyway. Certainly not the live audiences out there. They love it! If you play them well that is of course. It's just like a movie I watched this past weekend,

"The critics hated it! But we the public loved it"!

Indeed this is the world which Maynard endured for his whole life through. The man had incredible faith in addition to talent. Sorry if this sounds like "religion" because I certainly don't intend it that way. But the man was in my opinion an "annointed" figure. "Christ-like" person is what is meant by "annointed" Lynn Nicholson once explained that Boss was,

1. "The warmest most loving/caring human being he had ever known".
2. "The greatest musician in the world". And of course lol,
3. "The greatest trumpet high note artist ever.".

Lynn concluded his words with, "In that order". Which to.my faculties of reasoning is the real eye opener. Because we all tend to see Boss for the unbelieveable trumpet that he played for over sixty years of devotion and tireless touring. However despite how fantastic his work and drive was? His qualities as both a musical talent and good man actually exceeded the trumpet he played. Frankly?

I think that he was a living saint. I've spoken to or written others who feel the same way as I d o Equal to or even moee emphatically than I do.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
HERMOKIWI wrote:

I really don't know who close the intervals are that high up in the harmonic series (less than a step - perhaps only a half step apart?). Perhaps someone that does know can share that infoo.

Cheers,

John

John just did the near impossible. He turned this bragshare post of someone else's into something kinda interesting. Now? I almost feel like contributing. Lol. There certainly is a cool musical usage for double C and even above. However the audience best suited to appreciated such work is generally composed of other fellow trumpet players. They who like high notes. Some who can play pretty good high notes and many more who can't.

Speaking of the world of trumpet music appreciation? This field I think is generally composed of what I think are two types of performers. By the way, all the following is just my opinion. I'm writing as a human being. A happy one too. That and not some kind of authority figure trying to dictate or impose my belief system on anyone. These two types if trumpet players in commercial music ie Pop/Jazz/Show make up these two categories..

A. Those who can and do play high notes really well. Now this makes sense because absolutely no one wants to watch and listen to someone blow bad high notes. That and?

B. Those good, famous professional tlrumpet players who may or may not have a good register but for reasons of musical taste generally prefer not to play many high notes. Sometimes I think that the corporate music industry actively selects these cat.

What Maynard's passing did was prove that for whatever reason there never really was much room for anyone else at the peak of the corporate music world on trumpet. Not and plant his shingle out there for the world to see.

The corporate music world finally deemed high notes dead. In it's own sphere anyway. Certainly not the live audiences out there. They love it! If you play them well that is of course. It's just like a movie I watched this past weekend,

Indeed this is the world which Maynard endured for his whole life through. The man had incredible faith in addition to talent. Sorry if this sounds like "religion" because I certainly don't intend it that way. But the man was in my opinion an "annointed" figure. "Christ-like" person is what is meant by "annointed" Lynn Nicholson once explained that Boss was,

Lynn concluded his words with, "In that order". Which to.my faculties of reasoning is the real eye opener. Because we all tend to see Boss for the unbelieveable trumpet that he played for over sixty years of devotion and tireless touring. However despite how fantastic his work and drive was? His qualities as both a musical talent and good man actually exceeded the trumpet he played. Frankly?

I think that he was a living saint. I've spoken to or written others who feel the same way as I d o Equal to or even moee emphatically than I do.

1. Nothing to do with the topic.
2. Why is a person, who can play high notes better than another, a living saint?
jazzhorn04
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
HERMOKIWI wrote:

Cheers,

John

Wow... uhh....

I'm a lead player that plays with big bands and sometimes there are written double c's. I have a hard time slotting them, so I asked for help. Sorry if that strikes you as a "bragshare" post.
Also, I don't really know how my question prompted a dissertation on the state of the music industry and worship of Maynard Ferguson?
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry. Mr. Lionel is only the self-appointed authority on high notes on duty. There is no connection with reality.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wonder if this pontification on Maynard is from first-hand knowledge or anecdotal.

If anecdotal, directly from those who toured with Maynard or info from a friend of a friend who . . I know personally, people who toured with Maynard, so I am asking seriously.

(As if this question also has anything with the OP.)

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: