• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

In the market for a new mouthpiece.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bloo42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: In the market for a new mouthpiece. Reply with quote

I have a range all from a low D to C above the staff, yet that seems to be my limit. Right now, I play on a VB 5B mouthpiece, silver. I own a 1C and a 7C, and I have an easier time hitting the notes on those, but I feel a lot more resistance when playing on those compared to the 5B.

I'm really just in the market for a new mouthpiece that better fits me. I'm primarily a trombone player, and for that I have a Warburton 7D with gold plate. With trombone I usually prefer a deep cup with a tighter throat. With most trumpet mouthpieces, I've usually found that to be the case as well. Gold plating is a must, and price really isn't an issue as long as it's not over $250. Any advice?
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's impossible to make an authoritative recommendation because we know nothing about the source of any issues you have or actual factual knowledge about the way you play. What I can tell you is that increasing resistance (to the point of too much resistance) makes the high register easier to produce (although it does not necessarily increase your range).

What do you want to change about your results? If you're looking for a mouthpiece that automatically increases your range then you're going to be disappointed. There are no magic mouthpieces (or magic trumpets). This is a physical instrument. Success comes through proper fundamentals. Proper fundamentals come through training and practice.
Bloo42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
It's impossible to make an authoritative recommendation because we know nothing about the source of any issues you have or actual factual knowledge about the way you play. What I can tell you is that increasing resistance (to the point of too much resistance) makes the high register easier to produce (although it does not necessarily increase your range).

What do you want to change about your results? If you're looking for a mouthpiece that automatically increases your range then you're going to be disappointed. There are no magic mouthpieces (or magic trumpets). This is a physical instrument. Success comes through proper fundamentals. Proper fundamentals come through training and practice.

The thing is, that resistance is killer for me. As someone with severe asthma, practicing for over 45 minutes already leaves my lightheaded - any resistance just amplifies that. I know very well that my range won't magically increase. I'm just have trouble finding something that's deep enough to feel free, but tight enough to not actually compromise my sound in the upper register.
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always try a 5C. Maybe a 1.5C. 6C? I dont know. Try to play multiple C cup mouthpieces. They have differeing depths so you should be able to find a good one
J-Walk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:

Well said. Resistance on trumpet is a good thing if not excessive. Learning to blow against more resistance without trying to overpower it will often unlock endurance and range. I’d suggest doing more soft playing on your C cup mouthpieces and see if you can acclimate. Most trombonists I know that play trumpet overblow and the result is limited range and limited dynamic control. I also know a few trombonists that can double on trumpet that can really play and, to a person, they have figured out how to do it more efficiently without overblowing on big equipment.
Adams A5
Larson Brasswerks “Reese” Model C
Schilke P5-4 picc
Courtois 154 flugel
A few mouthpieces that fit my face and horns
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impossible for us to guess what will be a better fit for you.. you'll need to do some experimentation... My experience is that those that play bone and double on trumpet go in the other direction -> larger diameter, medium cup and more open throat (I'm thinking that it feels more like the bone, but with support for the higher register). When I was in Texas there were a number of crazy good bone players that also played screamin' trumpet in Salsa / Tex-Mex groups; can be done.

Warburton makes trumpet mouthpieces too... and is very knowledgeable.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one has commented (unless I missed it) that the Bach B-cups have a larger backbore than their C-cups. B-cups also have a different shape from C-cups. Either one of these 2 parameters could be relevant.

The rim profiles could be relevant, too.
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry wrote:
No one has commented (unless I missed it) that the Bach B-cups have a larger backbore than their C-cups. B-cups also have a different shape from C-cups. Either one of these 2 parameters could be relevant.

That’s why I recommended trying c cup mouthpieces and not b cup ones
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BradleeBrown

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to keep trying different sizes and brands out, they all play differently and fit an individual differently.
Bloo42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betelgeuse215 wrote:
Jerry wrote:

That’s why I recommended trying c cup mouthpieces and not b cup ones

Actually,

I seem to be doing much better, and experiencing much less resistance in the B cup mouthpieces.
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach mouthpieces sound better...just sayin
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betelgeuse215 wrote:

Ok.....define “better.”

Brad
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betelgeuse215 wrote:

The problem with Bach mouthpieces is that the overall shape of the rim isn't consequent: The rim of a 5c is totally different like the shape of a 7c: The 7c has a nice comfortable rim where the 5c has a sharp rim that cuts off easy the blood circulation of your lips when pushed just a little too much. So if you play comfortable on a 7c but you want to try a bigger mouthpiece the 5c won't satisfy you unless your technique is flawless

Warburton rims don't have that problem: The shape stays the same, just the diamater and inner dimensions changes so if you like the shape of the Warburton mouthpieces it is easy to go a little smaller, less deep or go bigger if you like
As well a huge positive is that you can easily change the backbore of the mouthpiece since it's screwed on

So, out there are trumpeters who indeed sound great on Bach mouthpieces but these guys just found out on which Bach mouthpiece they can sound great

If you are on a mouthpiece safari I think it's easier to find something that fits you (so you will sound great) when you go for Warburton rather than Bach mouthpieces
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may like the Curry B cup mouthpieces
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry wrote:

That is not true.... if you find one that has a diferent backbore, it is just the basic variation in backbores of bach mouthpieces. They can vary quite a bit, more so than cup diameter variances. Newer mouthpieces have less variation
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the published Bach mouthpiece literature, different backbores are paired with certain cups. Sometimes, a different backbore is supplied stock with a certain mouthpiece, too. An example of this is the Bach 6 cornet mouthpiece - it comes stock with a 24 backbore.
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manuel de los Campos wrote:
Betelgeuse215 wrote:

The problem with Bach mouthpieces is that the overall shape of the rim isn't consequent: The rim of a 5c is totally different like the shape of a 7c: The 7c has a nice comfortable rim where the 5c has a sharp rim that cuts off easy the blood circulation of your lips when pushed just a little too much. So if you play comfortable on a 7c but you want to try a bigger mouthpiece the 5c won't satisfy you unless your technique is flawless

Warburton rims don't have that problem: The shape stays the same, just the diamater and inner dimensions changes so if you like the shape of the Warburton mouthpieces it is easy to go a little smaller, less deep or go bigger if you like
As well a huge positive is that you can easily change the backbore of the mouthpiece since it's screwed on

So, out there are trumpeters who indeed sound great on Bach mouthpieces but these guys just found out on which Bach mouthpiece they can sound great

If you are on a mouthpiece safari I think it's easier to find something that fits you (so you will sound great) when you go for Warburton rather than Bach mouthpieces

That’s fair. Just won’t ever sound as good as a Bach though!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betelgeuse215 wrote:
Manuel de los Campos wrote:
Betelgeuse215 wrote:

That’s fair. Just won’t ever sound as good as a Bach though!

Yep, you’re correct. Everyone knows that a Bach mouthpiece simply sounds “better”, and of course “better” means the same thing to everyone.
And oh yeah....just sayin’.

Please.🙄

Brad
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach mouthpieces are actually capable of producing a wider array of colors in the sound that you can produce unlike a wide variety of mouthpieces. It's the same as Bach vs. Yamaha. Yamaha's aren't capable of producing as many different sounds as a Bach trumpet. For the audience, Bach is just better...............
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: