• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Embouchure Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abbz20

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Embouchure Help Reply with quote

Hello! Though I am well aware that this is every brass players claim for a range of unidentified problems, I feel I'm having some embouchure difficulties. I'm now a sophomore in college and every since I began playing I get tired and swollen in my actual aperture instead of my outer muscles or corners. My upper register has always been a struggle as I can't comfortably play above a G, though my tone and sounds below that is always rich and full. I've been experimenting with some different sets and researched for hours upon hours to find something that works. So far, nothing has really worked. Any recommendations on resources to use or different embouchure exercises would be very helpful, specifically on how to get the right set up and keep that formation with my muscles. I would also love to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience and how you made a transition or your journey to your playing now.

Thank you in advance!
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My corners don’t get tired anymore unless I am out of shape. Work on focusing the aperture, pianissimo stuff, mpc buzzing, and proper breathing.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based only on what you wrote, I'm going to guess that it's a pressure issue, not a corner/embouchure problem.
Too much grip, too much left arm and excessive playing.

Soft easy playing, flow studies, range and flexibility work.

Just for an interesting first look.. find James Morrison's short lessons on YouTube - watch all of them, but there is one especially that addresses pressure...
Retired Air Force Bandsman
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is definitely an issue of excessive pressure coupled with playing past the point of tissue recovery in the aperture. When the aperture is in this condition it is sort of cut off from the full influence of the corners and becomes out of control. It's being thinned out to the point it can't maintain its flexibility. It's basically just smashed flat.

Does any of this seem to describe your situation?
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize that some people here with roll their eyes at my saying this yet AGAIN, but do you have a private teacher? If not, do you REALLY want to address what sounds like a significant problem? It’s your best bet.

Hey, forums like this are great resources, but they are not a substitute for a qualified private instructor who should be able to help you with this and other aspects of your playing.

Brad
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taught embouchure for 40+ years and still see this kind of problem every day.

1st. I want to commend you for hanging in there and looking for an answer.

Based on your range or lack of there are 2 things I know. You are not anchor tonguing which I and many other teachers consider to be the most important thing you can do to start building range. Second you don't use the concept of a good lip setpoint close to the top of your range. In your case the lip setpoint should be 4 space E.
Go to my website and read some. You will get a lot out of it. Use the search feature for articles.
7,000 pages of free music. Trumpet Books, Skype Lessons: www.BbTrumpet.com
brassidol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just something to point out that should seam obvious. If you are getting beat up, you need to stop whatever forcing or blasting you are doing that is causing the problem. That must be off the table no matter what the short term consequences. Whatever is left is what you can use to change the notes. So in effect, if you want it to be easy you must practice with ease. (I know it won't be easy as in completely without effort, but it should be quite efficient, no?)

Doesn't matter what book or whose set of exercises so much, just cover all the skills that you need focusing on your personal weaknesses: articulation patterns and styles, slurs, long tones, dynamics, etc. I like choosing music rather than exercises as focusing on music keeps me musical.

Hope it helps. Keep us posted on your progress!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: