• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

TABLETS AND SOFTWARE TO DOWNLOAND PDF/SCAN SHEET MUSIC

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonLindstrom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: TABLETS AND SOFTWARE TO DOWNLOAND PDF/SCAN SHEET MUSIC Reply with quote

The threads seem rather old. I am looking for a tablet and a good software to download, find, buy, scan music to my tablet. Reason is I currently carry 5 books, Studies, and several ensemble pieces, which change frequently. Plus would like to see what I am playing at times. Some dark stages.
Troy Sargent
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the large ipad pro with forscore is the best out there. I use scanner pro to scan my music in but other progams are availiable.

forscore is by far the best organizational program out there and is only availiable for iPad I believe.

I use my ipad exclusivly for sheet music now. qpress.ca is where I first look for music
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For scanning, I'm having good results with GeniusScan for iOS. Takes just a bit of figuring out how to quickly crop and correct for perspective, but after that it works fine and is reasonably quick.

The things I think I'd definitely prefer to download (versus scan) would be large books like Arbans, St Jacomes or a Real Book-type tome.

Seems most folks are using iPads with a preference for the larger Pro model.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for ForeScore. I only have a smaller iPad, but it works OK except for quick markups during rehearsal. A pen would be much better.

That said, check out my thread in the lounge about ForeScore. It really has some great features.

I would recommend getting a Bluetooth set of pedals for page turns.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The large iPad Pro works great with the ForScore app, a bluetooth foot pedal to turn pages, and an Apple Pencil to jot down notes on the pages during rehearsal.

There are lots of good scanners available. I use a multifunction scanner/printer and the software that came with it. I also have scanner apps on my phone and iPad, and they work ok if I need a quick scan at a rehearsal, but I almost always end up using the scanner in my printer at home and saving the scans to Dropbox.
Piccolo Stomvi
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 12" Ipad Pro is definitely the industry standard. Most of the Broadway musicians I know use those.

I recently purchased a 10" Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 9.7" and I use Mobile Sheets Pro and I love it. I bought an Airturn pedal, and the Airturn tablet stand, and I'm thrilled. The tablet includes a "pen" as well. My whole setup with tablet, pen, pedal, bomb-proof tablet case, and stand was about 1/2 the cost of the Apple tablet alone.

The Apple with ForScore is for sure the standard, and if you want the best, there truly is no substitute. But for my needs - which is 99% reading jazz lead sheets on the bandstand and organizing my practice PDFs - the Samsung is wonderful. It's truly improved my life.

Hope this is helpful!
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With an iPad Pro and ForScore you don’t need a scanner. Just use the camera function in ForScore to take a picture. You can crop it to fit, straighten it, etc. It is very quick to do.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
Troy Sargent
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys for those of you suggesting a foot pedal try a flic smart button instead you can position it like a fourth valve using a hair tie and its much more comfortable. I find it to be a far superior solution
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered a flic, so thank you very much, in advance.

I don't anticipate attaching it to the horn, rather will use the clip to put it on a shirt cuff, or collar or something.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy Sargent wrote:
Hey guys for those of you suggesting a foot pedal try a flic smart button instead you can position it like a fourth valve using a hair tie and its much more comfortable. I find it to be a far superior solution

But which one? It seems there is a lot of models....For instance:
https://www.amazon.fr/flic-button/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aflic%20button
It seems they specialize in specific functions only.
Thanks
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just start this year going digital by buying a used Surface Pro 4 and using Mobilesheets. It has been great. Just another option if you are not in the Apple ecosystem. I like that the surface pro is a full on laptop so i use it for all my work. 12.3in screen with 4:3 ratio is good for closer sheet music sizes.
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltrane wrote:
Troy Sargent wrote:

https://www.amazon.fr/flic-button/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aflic%20button
Thanks

Got my flic yesterday. You use an app from flic to configure it.

It has a library of applications and functions. You have three controls to configure: click, double-click, and click-hold. Each can be a function in a different app on your iPad.

The Forscore config only offers page-forward and page-back functions.

I'll be able to say more once I have more than about 15 minutes with it. I'm particularly interested in how responsive it is, or whether there is any delay.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Turkle

I looks like there are several IPAD mounts that fit the Airturn stand. Which one do you use?

I personally use Goodreader to manage all of my PDF sheet music.
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@pinstriper.

Thanks. I will order one to try. I own a Airturn pedal but I am not comfortable with. Always fearing to miss the right pedal with my big shoes...j('')
Troy Sargent
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinstriper wrote:
Voltrane wrote:
Troy Sargent wrote:

Thanks

It has a library of applications and functions. You have three controls to configure: click, double-click, and click-hold. Each can be a function in a different app on your iPad.

I'll be able to say more once I have more than about 15 minutes with it. I'm particularly interested in how responsive it is, or whether there is any delay.

I use the regular one as well (not specifically configured). And have it configured so that a single click does a ½ page turn foward and a double tap goes back. There is slightly more input delay than the pedals (I have one of those as well) but it is not a problem. I would recommend using the ½ page turn though to avoid any issues. I've always done that though even with the footpedal. The tap and hold can then be used for whatever you like I personally have it trigger the metronome
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwood66 wrote:
@Turkle

I looks like there are several IPAD mounts that fit the Airturn stand. Which one do you use?

I personally use Goodreader to manage all of my PDF sheet music.

Hi,

I bought "The Concert Package."

https://store.airturn.com/products/the-concert-package

It's great! While I use a smaller tablet, I did test it on my friend's 12" iPad Pro and it fits.
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy Sargent wrote:
pinstriper wrote:
Voltrane wrote:
Troy Sargent wrote:

Thanks

I use the regular one as well (not specifically configured). And have it configured so that a single click does a ½ page turn foward and a double tap goes back. There is slightly more input delay than the pedals (I have one of those as well) but it is not a problem. I would recommend using the ½ page turn though to avoid any issues. I've always done that though even with the footpedal. The tap and hold can then be used for whatever you like I personally have it trigger the metronome

Ok.
Thanks.
By the way there is a new app called Newzik, very close to Forescore, where you can turn the page with a little kick to the stand.
I tested it at home and it works very well. Not yet tested in a real situation.
As far as I know, they are currently working on the fine tuning of the sensibility (a must of course)!
ComeBackTumpet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzvuu wrote:
I just start this year going digital by buying a used Surface Pro 4 and using Mobilesheets. It has been great. Just another option if you are not in the Apple ecosystem. I like that the surface pro is a full on laptop so i use it for all my work. 12.3in screen with 4:3 ratio is good for closer sheet music sizes.

What do you mean, "good for closer sheet music"? If an Apple 12in works as the Standard, I would think the 12.3in screen is slightly larger/better for old eyes.
GizB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my annual Reformation Sunday service today using my Pro12 tablet and MobileSheetsPro - worked great. The Pro12 is priced around $200. I've had it over a year, and love it. I printed all my horn charts to PDF with Cute PDF and have uploaded them and my qPress purchases to the Pro12 via Dropbox - very easy!
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltrane wrote:
@pinstriper.

Thanks. I will order one to try. I own a Airturn pedal but I am not comfortable with. Always fearing to miss the right pedal with my big shoes...j('')

I have an Airturn that runs on coin batteries. I like it very much as it is fast and responsive. I bought a second, this one is the Airturn "Pro", which has an internal battery you charge via USB. It is NOT as responsive. I suspect it has some sort of jive battery saving mode, as it doesn't respond to the first tap, then you tap again and it goes twice - like type-ahead.

The flic so far seems to be click-one-two and then the page moves. Not as responsive as tapping the screen. But...with a pedal on the floor, sometimes it isn't possible to take your eye off the page, look down and find the pedal.

Also, trying a flic is a $35 gamble, whereas pedals are more like $80 and up. So...
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: