• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

TABLETS AND SOFTWARE TO DOWNLOAND PDF/SCAN SHEET MUSIC

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ComeBackTumpet wrote:
jazzvuu wrote:
I just start this year going digital by buying a used Surface Pro 4 and using Mobilesheets. It has been great. Just another option if you are not in the Apple ecosystem. I like that the surface pro is a full on laptop so i use it for all my work. 12.3in screen with 4:3 ratio is good for closer sheet music sizes.

What do you mean, "good for closer sheet music"? If an Apple 12in works as the Standard, I would think the 12.3in screen is slightly larger/better for old eyes.

First off I was mistaken. the Surface Pro has the 3:2 ratio. Ipads have a 4:3. Many tablets are often build for media consumption such as netflix or other video streaming so their screens are usually 16:9 ratio vs the 12:9 (that is 4:3) vs 12:8 (3:2). Supposedly the 16:9 usually makes the music in portrait mode to have more white/waste screen space because of the longer vertical to width. 12:9 and 12:8 is closer to an 11 by 8.5 sheet of paper than 16:9 ratio. Hence the closer to the size of a standard sheet of music. I have no trouble reading single sheet music with my surface in portrait mode. I believe that either the Ipad (with 12in+ screen) or a Surface Pro are great for this. I just don't have much in the Apple ecosystem and got a Surface Pro cheap used.
ComeBackTumpet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that most tablets that are best for music along with software can cost up to $1,000, how can this compete with just using paper music. I am struggling coming up with tablet reasons that reasonably beat the cost of paper.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ComeBackTumpet wrote:
Given that most tablets that are best for music along with software can cost up to $1,000, how can this compete with just using paper music. I am struggling coming up with tablet reasons that reasonably beat the cost of paper.

Well, for starters, I bought mine because the book of charts for my jazz combo got so big and heavy that it actually broke a music stand on stage. Carrying around a very light tablet and stand to the gig is WAY easier than dealing with my portable stand and huge gig book.

Plus now when we have guest musicians sitting in, I can just send them to a Google Drive link so they can just load them all up onto their preferred device and we can all hang like that.

If paper is working for you then save your money. But for those of us that manage a huge amount of charts for multiple bands/projects and own a whole slew of digital method books and sheet music, a tablet is a great investment.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tablet can hold a massive amount of books, all your bands and charts, and pulled up in about 3 seconds, and then you never have to turn the page with your hand, which is huge. You look better, sound better, and those two things are worth it for me
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First full rehearsal with the flic as my page turner...meh.

I mean, it works, but you have to click about 3 measures ahead of time due to delay. And then you aren't sure if it got the click. So you guess yes, and it doesn't turn. Next time around you decide to wait. Wrong again, and you are an extra page ahead.

The good news: it was only a $35 experiment. I'll keep working with it a bit, and use it as a backup.

So far the best I have used is the battery-powered (not USB recharged) AirTurn. Alas, I think they are discontinued in favor of the newer model.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
ComeBackTumpet wrote:

Well, for starters, I bought mine because the book of charts for my jazz combo got so big and heavy that it actually broke a music stand on stage. Carrying around a very light tablet and stand to the gig is WAY easier than dealing with my portable stand and huge gig book.

Plus now when we have guest musicians sitting in, I can just send them to a Google Drive link so they can just load them all up onto their preferred device and we can all hang like that.

If paper is working for you then save your money. But for those of us that manage a huge amount of charts for multiple bands/projects and own a whole slew of digital method books and sheet music, a tablet is a great investment.

This. This++.

The book for just one band is nearly 400 pieces. I broke the handle on TWO of those plastic file carriers. Plus, it's an extra 10+ pounds, and something else to carry and whatnot. And to pull charts and put them back in place. So I went to 3-ring binders - 4 of them. Which binder is that piece in ? Back and forth onto the stand. Do that in a gig ?

I carry the entire trumpet book so we can swap parts from song to song. And if someone is missing a piece and also has an iPad, just airdrop it to them in seconds. If they are on an android or windows tablet, you can email it to them as long as there is wifi (iPhone hotspot).
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinstriper wrote:

I mean, it works, but you have to click about 3 measures ahead of time due to delay. And then you aren't sure if it got the click. So you guess yes, and it doesn't turn. Next time around you decide to wait. Wrong again, and you are an extra page ahead.

The good news: it was only a $35 experiment. I'll keep working with it a bit, and use it as a backup.

So far the best I have used is the battery-powered (not USB recharged) AirTurn. Alas, I think they are discontinued in favor of the newer model.

FWIW, I only ever used an iPad (a mini, at that) with ForScore once. Even though it only showed a half page at a time, I had no problem reaching up and taping the screen to make the page turns and I never missed a beat. I can certainly imagine gigs, like musical theater where you're juggling horns and struggling with mute choreography and a foot switch could really be a benefit. But for everything else, if you've ever managed turning paper pages, a screen touch should be way easier than that.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Troy Sargent
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinstriper wrote:

Try using the flic to trigger a 1/2 page turn and just do it really early. I found this to be the best solution and far superior when standing such as in recital. You need to program a number or letter key to the flic press then in forscore settings set it to the half turn. This way you aren't guessing on page turns and you don't have to find a pedal on the floor.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy Sargent wrote:
pinstriper wrote:

Try using the flic to trigger a 1/2 page turn and just do it really early. I found this to be the best solution and far superior when standing such as in recital. You need to program a number or letter key to the flic press then in forscore settings set it to the half turn. This way you aren't guessing on page turns and you don't have to find a pedal on the floor.

IMHO if the flic is as unreliable as pinstriper describes I wouldn’t want to use it. Doubling the number of page turns by using half turn would seem to be doubling the problem, but I might be missing something.

That said, I have the rechargeable AirTurn and never had an issue. Neither with reliability, latency nor finding it with my foot. I am not questioning other’s experiences, just sharing my own.
plunkett
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for ForScore on an iPad. My iPad is so old that I can't upgrade past iOS 9, but ForScore still works great and I have tons of stuff in there and use it every Sunday for church. It works great in conjunction with iWriteMusic, which allows you to "poke" music in and export it as PDF.
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Troy Sargent wrote:
pinstriper wrote:

IMHO if the flic is as unreliable as pinstriper describes I wouldn’t want to use it. Doubling the number of page turns by using half turn would seem to be doubling the problem, but I might be missing something.

That said, I have the rechargeable AirTurn and never had an issue. Neither with reliability, latency nor finding it with my foot. I am not questioning other’s experiences, just sharing my own.

I *think* I made it clear but let me wax pedantic for a moment (every artist has their One True Medium, mine is pedantry - or is it pedantacism ?).

It is still a voyage of discovery for me regarding the flic. I've more or less relegated the Airturn Pro to 4th outfielder status, to be used in case of injuries or late inning defensive substitutions...anyhoo...the same is sort of true for the flic. It just happened faster. I haven't 100% given up on it.

But I do agree that moving to half-page mode is a non-starter for me. Add normal page turns to DS's, DC's and Codas, well it gets beyond my pea-sized crocodilian brain very quickly. I make heavy use of Links for all of the above plus repeats that span pages. I find tinsel distracting.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just cut and paste the repeated material so I never have to go back in a song. It works well, as long as the director doesn’t change the roadmap too often.
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a thread about this topic on the Trombone chat site.
Someone quoted this:
https://www.gvido.tokyo/
And this:
https://www.padformusician.com/en/
Seems to me the way to go if they were not so expensive for a big Kindle...and provided they work well.

Regarding the Flic button, I received mine yesterday. It connected the first time only...Since no response. So I could not test. I will buy a new battery in case but I am currently disappointed!
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltrane wrote:
Someone quoted this:
And this:
Seems to me the way to go if they were not so expensive for a big Kindle...and provided they work well.

Regarding the Flic button, I received mine yesterday. It connected the first time only...Since no response. So I could not test. I will buy a new battery in case but I am currently disappointed!

You have to have the flic app running at the time, not just installed.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but it is with the Flic app the button cannot connect. No « red light » at all!
JonLindstrom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: TABLETS AND SOFTWARE TO DOWNLOAND PDF/SCAN SHEET MUSIC Reply with quote

Thank you all for the input. I have installed Windows 10 on my Surface Tablet installed Mobile Sheets and now I am ready to find a good source for Downloadable Text. Any Ideas on sites would be much appreciated.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: TABLETS AND SOFTWARE TO DOWNLOAND PDF/SCAN SHEET MUSIC Reply with quote

JonLindstrom wrote:
Thank you all for the input. I have installed Windows 10 on my Surface Tablet installed Mobile Sheets and now I am ready to find a good source for Downloadable Text. Any Ideas on sites would be much appreciated.

Are you looking to download lead sheets? Sheetmusicdirect.us has a whole bunch for 99c each, or you can pay a monthly fee and download the whole dang site if you want.

I use Musescore and I manually made hundreds of charts for my band. It's a few hours of work, but they are set up the way I like them and that's important to me.

Forgive me if I misunderstood your question.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltrane wrote:
Someone quoted this:
And this:

That's completely out of most musicians price range. I don't understand how they think they'll sell many at that price point. I'm sure it has advantages over like an iPad Pro 12", but it's no cheaper and doesn't do the other things that the iPad does.

If that was in the $300-400 range, I'd be on board.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
GizB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RCA Pro12 (12.2" touchscreen, with detachable keyboard) I mentioned in an earlier post is going for $180 at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Touchscreen-Featuring-Android-Marshmallow-Operating/dp/B01GDBMJ7G

MobileSheets Pro for Android (Forscore is strictly for Apple) runs $15-20.

$200 total - priced for the musician on a budget, and who among us isn't?!
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GizB wrote:
The RCA Pro12 (12.2" touchscreen, with detachable keyboard) I mentioned in an earlier post is going for $180 at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Touchscreen-Featuring-Android-Marshmallow-Operating/dp/B01GDBMJ7G

MobileSheets Pro for Android (Forscore is strictly for Apple) runs $15-20.

$200 total - priced for the musician on a budget, and who among us isn't?!

I actually drunk-primed that one about 18 months ago. The screen is terrible in comparison to the iPad. It is also a different aspect ratio, so pages are stretched tall and narrow. The software doesn't hold a candle to Forscore.

That said, it was dirt cheap and still way better than paper. I loaded the entire trumpet book and bring it along as a backup device.

If one has the means, iPad Pro 12.9" w/Forscore. If one does not, this is an option to seriously consider.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: