• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Discovery of range

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maplexpz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Discovery of range Reply with quote

So a friend of mine had a crazy discovery in playing. He played trumpet in 7th grade and didn't pick it back up until 10th where he didn't really contribute and just wasn't confident enough to progress. The next year was a whole different story. He somehow had natural ease in the upper register and for some reason everlasting endurance? I was super confused on how he plays. The first few notes he plays everyday are at least High C's and D's and Eb would be his limit. I have played trumpet for at least 5 years and my range is about up to High C, I can hit a D but it sounds bad and Eb is just scratchy. Never played anything higher than an E.

Anyways I let him try my marcinkiewicz bobby shew mp that I don't play at all and he played an F almost a minute after getting it. Ive never seen anyone so happy yet me being shut down because of his sudden range increase. That same day he ended up topping out at a G and I was in confusion. How do things like this happen. All I see from his playing is that he puts a lot of air and effort into blowing and sometimes his cheeks puff out and he says they sometimes rip.

I also don't understand how people come about range. Every single person has something different to say. Your band director might say tightening your corners and use more air. Someone might say that a solid warmup is just what you need but I have never heard any major results from a 'good' warmup. Another might say if your practicing a routine correctly then you are guaranteed success which is false. How do you expect to succeed if you play on a faulty embouchure. Some advocate soft playing while others loud or mouthpiece buzzing or lip buzzing. Some might say get a smaller diameter mouthpiece while others say stick to a bigger mouthpiece to build up on at. And last but not least some say that you need correct technique but every single person has a different technique (super chops, balanced emb., reinhardt methods). How does anyone expect to be grade A musicians if they cant fix one aspect of there playing. I'm guessing discovery of range is just by trail and error and pure luck?
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Discovery of range Reply with quote

Maplexpz wrote:
So a friend of mine had a crazy discovery in playing. He played trumpet in 7th grade and didn't pick it back up until 10th where he didn't really contribute and just wasn't confident enough to progress. The next year was a whole different story. He somehow had natural ease in the upper register and for some reason everlasting endurance? I was super confused on how he plays. The first few notes he plays everyday are at least High C's and D's and Eb would be his limit. I have played trumpet for at least 5 years and my range is about up to High C, I can hit a D but it sounds bad and Eb is just scratchy. Never played anything higher than an E.

Anyways I let him try my marcinkiewicz bobby shew mp that I don't play at all and he played an F almost a minute after getting it. Ive never seen anyone so happy yet me being shut down because of his sudden range increase. That same day he ended up topping out at a G and I was in confusion. How do things like this happen. All I see from his playing is that he puts a lot of air and effort into blowing and sometimes his cheeks puff out and he says they sometimes rip.

I also don't understand how people come about range. Every single person has something different to say. Your band director might say tightening your corners and use more air. Someone might say that a solid warmup is just what you need but I have never heard any major results from a 'good' warmup. Another might say if your practicing a routine correctly then you are guaranteed success which is false. How do you expect to succeed if you play on a faulty embouchure. Some advocate soft playing while others loud or mouthpiece buzzing or lip buzzing. Some might say get a smaller diameter mouthpiece while others say stick to a bigger mouthpiece to build up on at. And last but not least some say that you need correct technique but every single person has a different technique (super chops, balanced emb., reinhardt methods). How does anyone expect to be grade A musicians if they cant fix one aspect of there playing. I'm guessing discovery of range is just by trail and error and pure luck?

Luck usually plays a role. However knowledge can trump luck.

Your good post here represents yet another area where the common wisdom of trumpet teaching is (again!) remiss. A question actually. That question which the beginner often has is,

"What is the range of the trumpet"?

Im modern terms the answer probably includes the Double C. Or concert pitch B flat above high C. A trumpet player with good musicality and technique who can play that note and everything underneath it down to low F# is a well sought after musician.

The Double C however is not the top note possible on the trumpet. Nor even the last note used musically. In fact tones well over Double C are not only possible but have been recorded many times. The problem producing such tones seems to be that most trumpet players have a "ceiling in sound". Meaning a note above which the sound quits and they are no longer able to blow higher. Essentially their embouchure and related physiology blocks the production of any higher notes. This is not necessarily a permanent limitation but it often is.

To remove the cut-off point a trumpet player has requires both the knowledge of why his embouchure creates this serious limitation. That and a great deal of patience and study needed to adjust his chops so as to be able to ascend without limit.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you contact Pops McLaughlin and read his materials on how the chops work and how high range is developed you'll see that the principles/fundamentals involved are actually quite consistent method to method.

By and large the various methods implement the same principles/fundamentals by and through different physical approaches. A lot of your success can depend on matching your personal physiology with the appropriate method that makes it physiologically easiest for you to employ the principles/fundamentals. Some players achieve this through trial and error. Others achieve this through focused study and instruction.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Discovery of range Reply with quote

Maplexpz wrote:
.....All I see from his playing is that he puts a lot of air and effort into blowing and sometimes his cheeks puff out and he says they sometimes rip.
........I'm guessing discovery of range is just by trail and error and pure luck?

How is this guy’s playing in addition to his upper register? How is his tone, intonation, overall technique, flexibility, articulation, sight reading and general musicianship? Based on your description of how he plays, I’m guessing not terrific.

No, for most people it’s not trial and error or luck, it’s about many many hours of consistent, correct practice WITH PROPER INSTRUCTION.

Range definitely is part of being an accomplished trumpet player, but too many people, especially younger guys, put far too much emphasis on it, it’s only a part of being a good player. A great upper register without everything else that’s required isn’t worth much.

Brad
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Discovery of range Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Maplexpz wrote:
.....All I see from his playing is that he puts a lot of air and effort into blowing and sometimes his cheeks puff out and he says they sometimes rip.
........I'm guessing discovery of range is just by trail and error and pure luck?

How is this guy’s playing in addition to his upper register? How is his tone, intonation, overall technique, flexibility, articulation, sight reading and general musicianship? Based on your description of how he plays, I’m guessing not terrific.

No, for most people it’s not trial and error or luck, it’s about many many hours of consistent, correct practice WITH PROPER INSTRUCTION.

Range definitely is part of being an accomplished trumpet player, but too many people, especially younger guys, put far too much emphasis on it, it’s only a part of being a good player. A great upper register without everything else that’s required isn’t worth much.

Brad

Certainly a lot of truth there. As I've know some "one dimensional" trumpet players. People in their mid forties who can only play high notes. It's like an addiction. No matter how much I counsel them? They keep taking parts up an octave and burning their chops out before the end of a gig. That said however?

I've seen many more who can't play above a high C to save their life. So on balance? It seems to be that lack of range is a far more common flaw than lack of musicality. Just the numbers alone easily prove this is so. From a personal level I can't even remember all the guys with otherwise strong technical skills whom I've taken the lead book away from. They usually just hand it over to me without argument or even any discussion.

In short? Range is very important. We shouldn't fool ourselves. A trumpet player with nothing above high C is at least as much of a "one dimensional player" as someone who only plays high notes. At least in theory the high note player is fixable.

Maplexpz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Lionel says, range is definantly very important. I’m not sure why some say range is just a small part. It is a massive part of your playing. If you are given a piece that has high c’s and b’s in a very loud moment how do you expect to play those consistently when you can only hit them. With an increase of range should come an increase in endurance. If your range is only high c I don’t understand why you wouldn’t strive for more ease in playing. After all isnt that the end goal, to have mastered all parts of the instrument.
ProAm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Discovery of range Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:
A trumpet player with nothing above high C is at least as much of a "one dimensional player" as someone who only plays high notes. At least in theory the high note player is fixable.

And yet, a trumpet player with usable range around a high C can play in most any band or wind ensemble, most orchestras even at the principal position, and can even find him/herself in demand for hire, all without getting anywhere near double C. True, they won’t be playing Maynard charts. Oh well, it sucks being a below average player.

Regarding the original question on range - as with most things in life, some people have an easier time than others. Technical passages, double tonguing etc might be simple to one but tough to learn for another. Range, too.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maplexpz wrote:
......After all isnt that the end goal, to have mastered all parts of the instrument.

Anyone who believes they or anyone else will ever “master” playing a trumpet must have a very different definition of the term “master” than many people do.

Brad
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Maplexpz wrote:
......After all isnt that the end goal, to have mastered all parts of the instrument.

Anyone who believes they or anyone else will ever “master” playing a trumpet must have a very different definition of the term “master” than many people do.

Brad

Some definitions:

American Heritage Dictionary, Fifth Edition:

tr.v. [transitive verb]
1. To become very skilled in or knowledgeable about: mastered the language in a year's study.

Collins English Dictionary, Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition:

vb (tr) [verb transitive]
25. to become thoroughly proficient in: to master the art of driving.

I understood this concept from his statement. What definition do "many people" apply that is different than this?

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going by the numbers. While there probably isn't a statistical study available showing what p ercentage of dedicated trumpet players can play a high F musically? I think that we'd all agree that such subjects are the exception rather than the rule.

And granted there exists an even smaller subset who play too many notes in the extreme upper register. They who have actually stunted their development of the other necessary skills? Their existence is "an exception which still proves the rule".

Most of us who develop good register go through a phase of immaturity where we play too many high notes. Sometimes it's a high school band. Sometimes a college or community Jazz big band. Fortunatel most of us grow out of this phase. Although I do have a good friend who at age forty something? Seems perpetually addicted to taking parts up a fifth or even an octave on his trumpet. Then finding himself too wasted from arm pressure to play the ordinary lead parts. Cracking notes and playing with an insecure tone between the tuning note and high C. In fact this portion of his range remains stunted. Even when his chops are fresh.

This fellow is a nice guy. He even listens to my constructive criticism. He just so far has been wholly unable to incorporate the necessary self discipline to fix himself. In turn the problem is compounded by a music director whose main ax is sax. And this director seems largely unconcerned about my friend's refusal to fix his playing.

What kills me though is how naturally gifted this friend of mine is. He really blows solidly above high G. Up to at least the D above double C. If this guy were ever to build up his "cash register" instead of the extreme upper register? The guy would be a truly great player. Unfortunately as it is now? He's kind of a hack. As nothing sounds more unprofessional than a lead trumpet going for higher notes than written. Meanwhile chewing up his chops on the same gig. So that he loses all command of the "cash register".

Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
Maplexpz wrote:

Brad

Some definitions:

American Heritage Dictionary, Fifth Edition:

tr.v. [transitive verb]
1. To become very skilled in or knowledgeable about: mastered the language in a year's study.

Collins English Dictionary, Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition:

vb (tr) [verb transitive]
25. to become thoroughly proficient in: to master the art of driving.

I understood this concept from his statement. What definition do "many people" apply that is different than this?

I guess I didn’t.

Ok, I’ll retract “many people.” I (ME) don’t believe anyone completely 100% ever masters the trumpet. And if we use the definition of “master” that you quoted, then yes, “many” people DO master the instrument. I will tell you though, speaking only for myself, while I believe that I am skilled and knowledgeable regarding the instrument, in NO WAY would I ever state I have “mastered” it.

Maybe individual standards apply here, but I would bet that many virtuoso
trumpet players would not claim to have “mastered” it either.

Brad
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:

I guess I didn’t.
Ok, I’ll retract “many people.” I don’t believe anyone completely 100% ever masters the trumpet. And if we use the definition of “master” that you quoted, then yes, “many” people DO master the instrument. I will tell you though, speaking only for myself, while I believe that I am skilled and knowledgeable regarding the instrument, in NO WAY would I ever state I have “mastered” it.

Brad

I can understand that. I feel I have ways to go before I could say I could confidently play or even work up anything placed in front of me (orchestrally speaking). I know I have skills in some areas, but I know there are areas I avoid but shouldn't. There is so much to learn about, well, everything that it seems hardly feasible that anyone could master something.

I suppose I look at it this way: A true master of a craft, who is skilled and knowledgeable, knows what he knows and knows where he is lacking. Further, he knows how to achieve what he is lacking should he choose to. For example, I'm sure many top pros would ache at the thought of playing Moto Perpetuo all double tongued as Mendez did, but they would know how to work it up and achieve it. (Just thinking about that makes my tongue hurt!)

But don't be so hard on yourself. We are our own worst critics. You're likely a lot better than you think.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Discovery of range Reply with quote

ProAm wrote:
Lionel wrote:
A trumpet player with nothing above high C is at least as much of a "one dimensional player" as someone who only plays high notes. At least in theory the high note player is fixable.

And yet, a trumpet player with usable range around a high C can play in most any band or wind ensemble, most orchestras even at the principal position, and can even find him/herself in demand for hire, all without getting anywhere near double C. True, they won’t be playing Maynard charts. Oh well, it sucks being a below average player.

Regarding the original question on range - as with most things in life, some people have an easier time than others. Technical passages, double tonguing etc might be simple to one but tough to learn for another. Range, too.

I hate to shut down your comment, as I know it is made sincerely, but no professional Principal trumpet could get away with only a high C. You have to have a bomb-proof concert D and be able to stretch that to a reliable concert Eb or E on Picc.

When I say bomb-proof I mean that you have to be able to play that note loudly and quietly, articulated or slurred, every single day. Granted every player might find it harder on some days than others, but if you're in that principal trumpet seat and being paid to be there, you have to be able to keep popping those notes out all rehearsal and concert.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that non-professional section players in many settings can do just fine with a sometimes C. First players really should have a reliable D with the ability to extend up to E or F on occasion. For a host of reasons I've been on the hot seat a lot in my life. Not because I've got good high chops, but because I read well and play reliably musically. Not having a reliable D has been a frustration and a liability.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
ProAm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I agree that non-professional section players in many settings can do just fine with a sometimes C. First players really should have a reliable D with the ability to extend up to E or F on occasion. For a host of reasons I've been on the hot seat a lot in my life. Not because I've got good high chops, but because I read well and play reliably musically. Not having a reliable D has been a frustration and a liability.

I agree with you, especially your last sentence. And that is why I do not play professionally.

I said "most orchestras" earlier and I should have said "many orchestras." I've played principal in orchestras that never got anywhere near touching any Mahler. Very occasional Stravinsky, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak; lots of Beethoven. Sad from a trumpet perspective. Oh well.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:

This is interesting Cheiden. I'm wondering, have you ever looked into the concept of the "pinned upper lip"?

Essentially this condition explains the reason why the great majority of trumpet players cut off around high C concert pitch. While it doesn't explain the reason for the other common cut-off at high G? This higher cut-off point is of less concern.

Because after all if you've got a solid high G? You can blow lead. Its only if one wants to blow scream solos like Maynard when the high G cut-off becomes a nuisance.

At any rate Cheiden I've had good luck helping people with the high D cut-off. The goal seems to be to increase the availability of upper lip extending below the upper teeth. This is illustrated well in the "Stevens-Costello Triple C Embouchure Technique" book. Under the chapter(s) with the concept of the "Two aperture theory".

Most trumpet players are only aware of one aperture. The one created by their two lips inside the mouthpiece. But there's another one and it is the aperture created by the upper and lower teeth.

While lots of trumpet players are keenly aware of the aperture made by the lips inside the mouthpiece? Yet very few understand that the relationship of the teeth to the lips is of equal or greater importance. Especially when entering the upper register. This is why "the woods are full" of trumpet players able to play quite well up to a high D but not able to blow even one note of significance above. Even if their life depends upon it.

I always suggest that those cats unable to reliably blow above a high D that they go over to a mirror. Then look at the position of their upper lip relative to their upper teeth. Do this as you form a buzzing embouchure but without mouthpiece or horn. Invariably they will find that their upper lip resides a little bit above their upper teeth. While this will work fine for every note in the scale up to around a concert pitch high C?

It will invariably block the sound of any note higher. At least for most cats. Especially those whose horn angle points slightly downward.

Anyway? Give this a try Cheiden! Push that upper lip down lower over your upper teeth! Do this while ascending above high C. If you can sustain this position? You will be abiding by the physical law dictated by Stevens "Two Aperture Theory".

And the moment you apply this correctly? Your high F and G simply MUST follow your air support! There is no "ifs or buts" here. Sure as water seeks it's own level? You will definitely blow a high F to G. This is the beauty of physical.law. With it you can rig success. No longer dependent upon being cast from one of those so naturally blessed with high notes.

PS: Look at it this way,
Concerning the notes above high C? It's like a set of books on the shelf. With only one bookend? They'll fall over to the other side. This being analogous to the trumpet player only concerned with his lip's relationship to his mouthpiece.

His mouthpiece is only one "bookend". In fact he has two but he isn't even aware of it! The other bookend is his upper and lower teeth.

Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

I guess I didn’t.
Ok, I’ll retract “many people.” I don’t believe anyone completely 100% ever masters the trumpet. And if we use the definition of “master” that you quoted, then yes, “many” people DO master the instrument. I will tell you though, speaking only for myself, while I believe that I am skilled and knowledgeable regarding the instrument, in NO WAY would I ever state I have “mastered” it.

Brad

I can understand that. I feel I have ways to go before I could say I could confidently play or even work up anything placed in front of me (orchestrally speaking). I know I have skills in some areas, but I know there are areas I avoid but shouldn't. There is so much to learn about, well, everything that it seems hardly feasible that anyone could master something.

I suppose I look at it this way: A true master of a craft, who is skilled and knowledgeable, knows what he knows and knows where he is lacking. Further, he knows how to achieve what he is lacking should he choose to. For example, I'm sure many top pros would ache at the thought of playing Moto Perpetuo all double tongued as Mendez did, but they would know how to work it up and achieve it. (Just thinking about that makes my tongue hurt!)

But don't be so hard on yourself. We are our own worst critics. You're likely a lot better than you think.

I agree that it’s wise for all of us to have a realistic perspective of our strengths and weaknesses. One problem I see with students is that many of them don’t really ever listen to, or can even name, truly great trumpet players. So sometimes, at least among some students, the guy on first chair is the standard for “accomplished”, sort of the “big fish in a small pond” syndrome.
And before someone points it out, I’m not saying ALL students.

When I listen to guys like Sandoval, Doc, Marsalis, etc. I realize how very far away I am from “mastering” the horn.

Brad
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:
cheiden wrote:

This is interesting Cheiden. I'm wondering, have you ever looked into the concept of the "pinned upper lip"?

Hey Lionel, thanks for taking the time to address my specific frustrations. I really do appreciate it. I've read yours and others observations about the top lip relation to the top teeth and I have experimented with it some, so far without much success. But know that my top teeth are on the long side with one considerably more forward than the other and it's not easy to extend the top lip as much as you describe.

Some months ago I had to have a top front tooth extracted and I'm undergoing orthodonture to straighten my teeth. A year from now I'm expecting to get an implant so all this geometry will change significantly. Depending on how it goes, I may be looking into an embouchure change.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first thread I read in years in the High Range Development chapter and I immediately remembered why I always refused to read this kind of stuff.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
This is the first thread I read in years in the High Range Development chapter and I immediately remembered why I always refused to read this kind of stuff.

Good point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: