• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Clarke Technical Studies - More Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Clarke Technical Studies - More Questions Reply with quote

Some years ago when I practiced a lot of Clarke Technical Studies I would play each exercise 4 time. First slurred, then single tongued, followed by K-tonguing and finally double tonguing.

Now I have come back to Clarke Technical Studying and have a Metronome on my side.: So I got some questions.

Timing - Some keys are easier to play then others. Would you mark the speed over each exercise to keep a measure on it?

In the past I just played some fast, some slow (by feeling), depending how fast I could play in the given key.

Also, would you only play each exercise as long as you have air in one or two breath and work that way through each study?

Or would you start slow on each study and then steadily increase the tempo, until you no longer can play the exercise correct and clean, no matter how much time you may need? And then go to the next line?

Trying to find a way to maximice the benefit of these exercises.
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read the introduction at the top of page 8, Second Study, you might notice that Clarke says, "Should certain exercises [Keys] prove more difficult that others, work on these until they are thoroughly mastered. Do not waste time on those that are easy."

Use a metronome to practice half note = 80 up to 120. I think 120 is a reasonable top end for accurate playing. No need to move much faster than that. I like to do each exercise with one repeat all slurred, on a single breath. Then single and double tongued. As part of my daily warmup, I will usually play all of page 8, alternating tonguing styles from line to line. For example, line 27 slurred, line 28 single tongue, line 29 double tongue, etc.
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.purtle.com/clarkes-technical-studies-then-and-now-jeff-purtle

That article should be helpful. I tried to reference other Clarke writings and show the original text of Clarke's Technical Studies vs. the current revision done in the mid 1980s.
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the needs of each individual student. My teacher, William Adam, would sometimes prescribe lightning fast, other times painfully slow. Sometimes loud, sometimes soft.
trumpetman146

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Clarke Studies can be used for many different things, it is not a one size fits all approach.

For me, timing wise, I have the current tempo for each key written out beside it. That is the fastest tempo I can play it at with my best sound and cleanly. I then spend the majority of my practice time working to bring the slower keys up to them tempo of the easier keys, so that I can play all keys equally as well.

I also learned all of these slurred, tongued, k tongued, and double tongued like you mentioned and find that to be extremely helpful.
ktrha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Clarke Technical Studies - More Questions Reply with quote

Dieter Z wrote:

Or would you start slow on each study and then steadily increase the tempo, until you no longer can play the exercise correct and clean, no matter how much time you may need? And then go to the next line?

Trying to find a way to maximice the benefit of these exercises.

I was wondering the same. I asked same questions to 3 of RIP authorities, first one is from well known jazz educatorMr. Charlie Banacus and basically he said,

practicing slow at first and increase tempo doesn't get us to goal depending on key because each key has own technical difficulties and also playing fast and slow require different techniques anyway.

(1) set desired tempo on metronome, it does not have to be in tempo slightly faster than your possible tempo. Be brave and set metronome FAST !

(2) play one note only and you play rest in your mind. metronome keep beating fast and you you add only one more next. only one more. then keep playing two notes fast and rest is played in you mind.....still fast tempo... add one more, keep adding one at each try.... surprisingly you keep going... when you hit one more of difficult new note, stop and take break and finally you practice only difficult part slowly to find out why you could not add that "one more"

(3) basically to play fast, you have to practice fast. make sure air, posture, relaxation on both hands and Mind !

the other one I learned from Mr. Clark Terry was

practice the hard line VERY SLOW on left fingers. YES, hold trumpet on right hand and push valve on left fingers !! you don't have to make increase tempo.
then go back to the normal hold and see what happens. according to Clark's friend doctor or somebody, when you play with left hand, you use right side brain, right brain teaches left brain, then left brain make you learn quickly on right hand.... something like that.....

Both works well in hurry situations when you have to learn and be able to play quickly.....

Third one I learned from Mr. William Adam but unfortunately I don't remember what he said...herhaps he was teaching me in more mental than physical approach. I am wondering if anyone studied with him could share with us.... too bad all these 3 great men are gone, but they left us amazing knowledge and wisdom....

Keiichi
Benson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question - - -

I've read Clarke studies should be double tongued. I'll use Clarke 2 in F as an example -

F G A F G A Bb G.... and so on.

If we're double tonguing, do we play #2 in F as

1. F F G G A A F F G G A A Bb Bb G... In other words same tempo as you just rapid single tongued, but the notes are doubled.

OR

2. F G A F G A Bb G... But you double the tempo and play each note one time, alternating between a T and a K tongues respectively?

Thanks!
GardyParty_11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benson wrote:
I have a question - - -

I've read Clarke studies should be double tongued. I'll use Clarke 2 in F as an example -

F G A F G A Bb G.... and so on.

If we're double tonguing, do we play #2 in F as

1. F F G G A A F F G G A A Bb Bb G... In other words same tempo as you just rapid single tongued, but the notes are doubled.

OR

2. F G A F G A Bb G... But you double the tempo and play each note one time, alternating between a T and a K tongues respectively?

Thanks!

Yes!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benson wrote:

This.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Benson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Working on it right now!
William. J

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you havent tried it yet, practicing clarke with your left hand on the valves is a good way!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: