• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cleaning Snake for Flugelhorn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Cleaning Snake for Flugelhorn Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a cleaning snake made for flugelhorns? The problem is the section between the third valve casing and the bell flare. I don't know of a trumpet snake long enough to cover that distance or narrow enough to go through the entire length. I've tried a trombone snake that barely covers the distance (by maybe 1/4 inch) and to make that work at all I had to cut the brush way smaller and it's still a struggle to get it to go all the way through. I start at the bell flare and work back toward the third valve casing and it takes multiple tries to get it all the way through.

There has to be a better tool for this. What is it and who makes it?
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Cleaning Snake for Flugelhorn Reply with quote

Rika...sold on WW&BW. Put the ball end thru the inside port in the 3rd valve casing...push it all the way thru the horn...it will come out the bell...pull on the excess and it will pull a sponge ball all the way thru the horn. Voila...cleaned!!

Butch
TRUMPE: SCHILKE B7 / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT1" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about using a trombone snake?
or
Brass Saver Flugel Brush set

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009RLKV9I/ref=twister_B07B4Y86HM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Retired Air Force Bandsman

Last edited by zaferis on Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning Snake for Flugelhorn Reply with quote

maynard-46 wrote:
Rika...sold on WW&BW. Put the ball end thru the inside port in the 3rd valve casing...push it all the way thru the horn...it will come out the bell...pull on the excess and it will pull a sponge ball all the way thru the horn. Voila...cleaned!!

Butch

Looks interesting. The WWBW listing doesn't give a length for the tool but it specifically says "Flugelhorn." For $19.99 it's worth a try. Thanks for the information.
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Cleaning Snake for Flugelhorn Reply with quote

Quote:
The WWBW listing doesn't give a length for the tool

When I run it thru my flugel there's about an 8-10" excess that comes out the
bell which u can wrap around ur hand and pull! U'll be surprised at how much junk comes out to the bell bend...especially on ur trumpet...and that can have a definite affect on the way ur horn plays and responds! Good luck with it!

Butch
TRUMPE: SCHILKE B7 / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT1" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: