• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

“Hymn To The Fallen”

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FivePointer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: “Hymn To The Fallen” Reply with quote

I am played the 1st trumpet part in the opening duet.
The first note is the F above the staff which I am always splitting.
So it’s becoming a real mental challenge. No problem playing F in other contexts but this one has me spooked.

Any thoughts in how to practice this to prepare for the concert? I abgioysky don’t want to make myself or the band sound bad.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I have a treacherous spot, I spend a few minutes in every practice session at home practicing that spot. In your case, I'd warm up, then play that note. Rest about 10-15 seconds, pick up the horn and do it again. Rest and repeat. Get on with regular practice and sprinkle the trouble spot in a few times. Do this every day for several weeks. After awhile, it will become more familiar and easier.

On the day of the performance, just let it go. Stop thinking about it. You will have done everything you could to get ready. Put your mind at ease and just play.
Piccolo Stomvi
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while back I was working with Tony Plog to prepare for a performance of Sibelius' Symphony #2. I was running into a similar problem with the trumpet entrance at the beginning of the finale, which is a high concert A. That note is comfortably within my range, but I wasn't hitting it confidently,

Tony suggested that I practice that entrance playing a high concert B a few times, and then play it as written. I found that technique -- practicing it up a second and then as written -- to be quite useful.

Another technique to consider is to practice with a piano or keyboard (or keyboard app). Play the entrance note on the piano a few times to make sure you really have the sound of the note in your head before you try to play it on the trumpet.

Good luck!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F ABOVE the staff, as in third ledger line? I’m thinking you meant fifth line F?

Assuming it’s fifth line F: trying to mentally “hear” any pitch before you play it helps a lot.

Brad
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: “Hymn To The Fallen” Reply with quote

FivePointer wrote:
I am played the 1st trumpet part in the opening duet.
The first note is the F above the staff which I am always splitting.
So it’s becoming a real mental challenge. No problem playing F in other contexts but this one has me spooked.

Any thoughts in how to practice this to prepare for the concert? I abgioysky don’t want to make myself or the band sound bad.

Are you playing B-flat or C (or other); trumpet or cornet?

-Denny
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
A while back I was working with Tony Plog to prepare for a performance of Sibelius' Symphony #2. I was running into a similar problem with the trumpet entrance at the beginning of the finale, which is a high concert A. That note is comfortably within my range, but I wasn't hitting it confidently,

Tony suggested that I practice that entrance playing a high concert B a few times, and then play it as written. I found that technique -- practicing it up a second and then as written -- to be quite useful.

Another technique to consider is to practice with a piano or keyboard (or keyboard app). Play the entrance note on the piano a few times to make sure you really have the sound of the note in your head before you try to play it on the trumpet.

Good luck!

I think these are great suggestions. I'd also add the following:

On most trumpets, that F is a sharp note. When a note on the trumpet doesn't lie where we expect to hear it, it tends to have an increased risk of cracking or splitting. If your trumpet has a first slide saddle, this is a perfect way to bring the note down a notch to sit cleanly in tune. It's especially easy for an initial entrance, because you can do it before you play, and don't even have to worry about moving your thumb in mid-phrase.
FivePointer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Hymn to the Fallen Reply with quote

Thanks for the great suggestions. I am finding that a lot of playing the trumpet is like golf- it’s a head game.

I am playing Bb trumpet.
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: “Hymn To The Fallen” Reply with quote

FivePointer wrote:
I obviously don’t want to make myself or the band sound bad.

Being anxious about an exposed part is ok. There is a subtle difference between being afraid to miss the note and being afraid to hit the note.

I suggest practicing with a recording of the piece and creating a mental image of a huge audience full of your friends and supporters. Throw in a couple of your enemies. Then own that part with a "get a load of this" attitude!

Cheers,

Gordon Stump
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No guarantees , but, try perturbing you horn.

Jam a smallish paper clip up the backbore of the mpc.

Or, try the Dennis Brain matchstick mod. Alan Civil describes it on the bottom of p 136, here ...
link

-Denny
murph66
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play in my church orchestra with a really good lead player. One anthem we played a while back had the lead trumpet coming in on a D above high C. He told our director he should warn the choir about that note. He didn't and the lead player came in at about fff and hit it clear as a bell. It shut choir rehearsal down for a few minutes until the trumpets quit laughing and the choir regained their composure.
Rompson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t worry too much about a cracked note, especially in a piece called Hymn to the Fallen. Remember the Kennedy Bugler:

“It was like a catch in your voice, or a swiftly stifled sob.”

http://tapsbugler.com/a-bugle-call-remembered/
jhahntpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm playing this on Sunday!

It's the high A that always gets to me! If there's one note that's always bothered me it's that one regardless of where, when, or why I'm playing it.

The one thing that I'm doing is disregarding the piano dynamic and playing a comfortable but still soft dynamic. The conductor hasn't made any comment on it being too loud so I am not worried about it. That little bit of extra freedom allows me to do what I need to do to get the notes out with a good sound.
Piccolo: Yamaha 9830
Flugel: Yamaha 8315G
Cornet: York Eminence
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhahntpt wrote:

It's the high A that always gets to me! If there's one note that's always bothered me it's that one regardless of where, when, or why I'm playing it.

I mentioned Dennis Brain's trick with a matchstick, above.

Give it a try for the A -- one stick but try it in all four pipes -- top and bottom of the 1st valve and the second.

Nothing guaranteed but something might change.

link

-Denny
MGTrumpet

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subdivide!

Make sure you REALLY know how fast those sixteenths are in the context of the music.
omelet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denny Schreffler wrote:
jhahntpt wrote:

Give it a try for the A -- one stick but try it in all four pipes -- top and bottom of the 1st valve and the second.

link

-Denny

The placebo effect apparently can work even if you are aware of it.
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omelet wrote:
Denny Schreffler wrote:
jhahntpt wrote:

link

-Denny

The placebo effect apparently can work even if you are aware of it.

Or, perturbing the standing wave can cause subtle changes in the shape of the frequency spectrum.

-Denny
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhahntpt wrote:

Same here. The high A use to always get me until I started using the third valve instead of 1-2.

Cheers
Harry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: