• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Strange feeling in my face after playing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazzerfred

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Strange feeling in my face after playing Reply with quote

I've been a professional trumpeter for 12 years with no real problems, but the last 6 months I've had a strange sensation in my face that doesn't seem to want to go away. I took 5 days off and no change. It feels like someone is pressing their finger into my face where my nose meets my cheek by the nostril. Also a pulling feeling in the bottom corners of my chin/jaw. I just can't seem to find how to relax them Is anyone familiar with this kind of thing?

Thanks,

Fred
Hotdeal1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played trumpet for many years but I'm not familiar with sensation like this but the best advice is to seek out a pro attention of a doctor from that field. Maybe u pulled a muscle , maybe u did not play for a while and then played too much / had a demanding gig ?! maybe seasonal cold is affecting it. Try warm compress of some sort . I just think what could help to relax the area logically, I'm not a doctor !
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about this. Do you think it's related to your playing or do you think it's from something else. Given that it's been going on for 6 months, and assuming it might not be playing-related, it might be worth having a dentist check you out (if you haven't already done this).

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange feeling in my face after playing Reply with quote

Jazzerfred wrote:
I've been a professional trumpeter for 12 years with no real problems, but the last 6 months I've had a strange sensation in my face that doesn't seem to want to go away. I took 5 days off and no change. It feels like someone is pressing their finger into my face where my nose meets my cheek by the nostril. Also a pulling feeling in the bottom corners of my chin/jaw. I just can't seem to find how to relax them Is anyone familiar with this kind of thing?

Thanks,

Fred

Hi,

Sorry to hear that.

Whilst I can't offer any hard suggestions I wonder; is it just a sensation or can you see any kind of change/contortion/lump if you look in a mirror when you play?

All the best
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See a doctor.

I have heard about this a couple of times over the years. The two most relevant, I think, are first a player who had somehow torn a muscle and that caused a lot of pain and a knot that took time to heal. The second was a tumour, fortunately benign in his case, that was essentially a pea-sized cyst above his upper lip. (I have also seen people with mouth cancer, not benign, with similar lumps.)

Probably nothing, but six months is long enough to wait it out and guessing games from a bunch of trumpet players about medical issues strike me as a bad idea.
plunkett
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought one of the site rules (and a good one) was "no medical advice" or something to that effect(?)
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plunkett wrote:
I thought one of the site rules (and a good one) was "no medical advice" or something to that effect(?)

I may be wrong, but I don't think this is part of the TH user agreement. That being said, I agree that it's not a good idea to request or give medical advice on this forum.

However, in this case, the OP didn't ask for help diagnosing or treating any particular medical issue. Instead, he asked if others experienced the same symptoms. So I'm not sure you can say the OP asked for medical advice. And a common theme in the replies was to get it checked out.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Jazzerfred

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies guys. It's just a sensation at the moment, no physical signs or lumps or anything! I'm going to get some physio on my jaw as it's been clicking badly and opens to one side, maybe that's putting my embouchure out of whack and putting strain on the muscles around it. I do push my jaw forward to compensate for an overbite, so I'm thinking of returning to my school days of downstream to take some pressure off the joint. Wish me luck!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall at least one time where I developed an incredibly sore spot right where the edge of my nostril meets my mustache. It took months to go away. Never had it diagnosed but I assumed that I had sprained or bruised something.

And I tried to jut my jaw forward for a while and it did result in significant pain. I assumed that I overdid it and later quit trying.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Don Herman rev2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a link to the UA at the bottom of every page. We did not put anything in about medical advice. Caveat emptor.

https://www.trumpetherald.com/usage.php
plunkett
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
There is a link to the UA at the bottom of every page. We did not put anything in about medical advice. Caveat emptor.

https://www.trumpetherald.com/usage.php

Musta been another group... I still think it's a bad idea to give medical advice beyond "go see a doctor", though...
Don Herman rev2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bad idea to ask for advice from a bunch of trumpet players...

People ignore the UA all the time anyway; do you think an admonishment against medical advice would work? I don't. At some point people need to stop and think about what they are doing and whom they are asking... "I'm a doctor, and I smoke lighter Menthol cigarettes, you should too." Remember those?

I'll be sure to ask my doctor why I have pitch problems playing double-A's next time I see him.

Common sense ain't (common).

Back to reality: Most of the time these things come up it's from a player with a problem wanting to see if other players have had it and how other players have dealt with it. Hopefully most folk realize most trumpet players are not doctors...
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plunkett wrote:

I am sure that is not a site rule and if it was, it would be a bad one. There are several medical doctors and other folks in health professions who have given out very good medical advice many times over the years on this site (said medical advice usually accompanied by if not being the main point of the advice, to seek help from a local medical professional, as a doctor has already done in this topic thread).

It also occurs to me that in many cases one is better off if they get advice here from a trumpet playing medical doctor than if they get advice or consultation from a local doctor who hasn't a clue about the forces involved in trumpet playing (particularly the extreme high levels of thoracic pressure which often exceed the body's venous blood pressure when playing loud and/or high notes). I remember one query from someone who had a medical issue and had been told by his doctor that it was okay to play trumpet, who fortunately wrote in and was warned here that it was not okay to play in the upper register with the medical condition he had. Perhaps that conversation here was a life saver.

All that said, I think it's just common sense to realize that expecting to get good medically related advice from another trumpet player who is not a health professional is at best a crap shoot.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: