• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Edwards X-17

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetjaguar wrote:
Sorry, Winnipeg. This is what happens on here.

Mea culpa.

I apologize for derailing your thread. I obviously differ in opinion from a couple of others. I am not a gear head. I am on my second trumpet since the early 70's.
irememberchet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winnipeg, I do not have experience with the EDWARDS X17, but I am the proud owner of an EDWARDS X13, and I can assure you that the care, workmanship, and build quality of EDWARDS trumpets is as fine as ANY in the industry. My X13 is lightweight, very agile, and RESONATES as well as any trumpet I have ever played and that includes two different Monettes, Van Larrs, and vintage Martin Committees. It is a very high quality instrument that resonates like crazy and plays in tune from a pppp to an ffff and everywhere in between!
1940 Martin Handcraft Committee #3 Large Bore
Yamaha 8335 LA II Bergeron Custom
Yamaha 8340 EM Eric Miyashiro
Schilke Handcraft HC1
Taylor Phatboy Flugelhorn
vwag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irememberchet wrote:
Winnipeg, I do not have experience with the EDWARDS X17, but I am the proud owner of an EDWARDS X13, and I can assure you that the care, workmanship, and build quality of EDWARDS trumpets is as fine as ANY in the industry. My X13 is lightweight, very agile, and RESONATES as well as any trumpet I have ever played and that includes two different Monettes, Van Larrs, and vintage Martin Committees. It is a very high quality instrument that resonates like crazy and plays in tune from a pppp to an ffff and everywhere in between!

Edward instruments do look great (X17 is no exception), I've seen and heard about the X13. Definitely on my list to try.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irememberchet wrote:

+1

I played my Benge 3X+ for a few days just for a change - felt great. Then today I'm back on my X13; what a responsive trumpet! I'd be surprised if the X17 wasn't exceptional as well. Because I do repair work, I see many small tweaks they have built into the horn. I'm sure there are even more that cannot be seen - only felt in increased response. What fun it must be to try all this stuff in a factory that can build anything.
https://yourbrass.com/
time_is_mula

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To X-13 owners, how does it hold up as a versatile horn? I just purchased one, had no chance to try it beforehand because no dealers have an instrument like this in stock. I have a commercial horn and a ‘traditional’ horn as well. Any feedback would be helpful and appreciated.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Edwards X-17 Reply with quote

I thought the question asked was whether anyone had any experience playing the X-17 trumpet. Then we get off into age, what is best for older players, What would best be used by a rank amateur, etc. Good thing about America is this, if you want it and you can afford it, doesn't matter if you can play it, you can own one and be proud of it. I just turned 69 and I bought a used horn in the marketplace about a year ago. It works well, but I am still out trying stuff and have my eye on another early '70s Benge. But, never say to someone, well don't you think it would be better to do this?? I'm not telling anyone else here what is good or right for them, and more power to them for trying a variety of horns and mpcs, etc. It's a big world out there, can't we let others play and enjoy themselves musically without causing blood in the marketplace? Perhaps I misunderstood some of the comments here. If so, sorry. And, I am thinking if Edwards built it it's gonna work just great.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To X-13 owners, how does it hold up as a versatile horn?

The X-13 is a very nice horn for all-around playing in a section. You'd probably do fine with it if it was your only horn.

Where it really shines, in my opinion, is in small ensemble and solo settings where you can call a little bit more attention to its wonderful, vibrant sound. If you do a lot of that kind of playing I'd say it is easy to justify the high price of the X-13.

Enjoy your new horn! I think it is one of the very best on the market.
uglylips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious, what is the bore size of the X-17?

The OP is currently playing a King Silver Flair and bore size is .462. I use to own and play my Silver Flair daily. A very nice horn, I loved to play it, but not as efficient as any of my ML .459 Bachs.
time_is_mula

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
Quote:
To X-13 owners, how does it hold up as a versatile horn?

The X-13 is a very nice horn for all-around playing in a section. You'd probably do fine with it if it was your only horn.

Where it really shines, in my opinion, is in small ensemble and solo settings where you can call a little bit more attention to its wonderful, vibrant sound. If you do a lot of that kind of playing I'd say it is easy to justify the high price of the X-13.

Enjoy your new horn! I think it is one of the very best on the market.

Nice! Thank you for the insight Dayton. I was under the impression that this was more of a soloist horn. Similar to that of a Getzen Genesis but without the mass and 'more advanced' construction. I had the funds available and always wanted an Edwards, so I purchased this horn as my last acquisition.
time_is_mula

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uglylips wrote:

The OP is currently playing a King Silver Flair and bore size is .462. I use to own and play my Silver Flair daily. A very nice horn, I loved to play it, but not as efficient as any of my ML .459 Bachs.

The bore size of the X-17 is .459
wiemelen
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Nice! Thank you for the insight Dayton. I was under the impression that this was more of a soloist horn. Similar to that of a Getzen Genesis but without the mass and 'more advanced' construction. I had the funds available and always wanted an Edwards, so I purchased this horn as my last acquisition.

quit daring to buy such an expensive horn without test playing.
hope it will be all you expect it to be and more
Would appreciate a small review of the X-13, specially when used in a section.
Cornet : Conn 80a (1919) with Curry 1,5 BBC + Curry 1,5 VC + GR L66,9 #6
time_is_mula

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiemelen wrote:
Quote:

hope it will be all you expect it to be and more

These days you kind of have to buy without trying especially with no access to these type of horns. No dealers that I know of will order you a horn just to try and not buy. I was hoping for others to provide insight since this was the only topic that suggested multiple X-13 owners. Once I play my horn in a section, I shall give a full review. . . Now I am just waiting for the horn to arrive
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiemelen wrote:
Quote:

hope it will be all you expect it to be and more :D

It works for me in a section, as a soloist, and the little bit of lead playing I've done with it, that's fine too. I do use the alternate tuning slide that Edwards offers as an option. It has a round wrap like a Connstellation - even wider.
https://yourbrass.com/
uglylips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

time_is_mula wrote:
uglylips wrote:

The bore size of the X-17 is .459

Someone told me that on the Edwards website the X-17 bore size is listed as .462 bore and the X-13 is .459. I haven't been able to find the specs myself. Can someone please clarify?

Also, to the OP are you looking for a horn with a smaller bore than .462, i.e. bore size of your Silver Flair?
wiemelen
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Someone told me that on the Edwards website the X-17 bore size is listed as .462 bore and the X-13 is .459. I haven't been able to find the specs myself. Can someone please clarify?

Edwards site clearly indicates the X-17 is .459 and the X-13 is .462.
You need to look at the big image on each of the trumpets detail site and click on the +-signs.
Cornet : Conn 80a (1919) with Curry 1,5 BBC + Curry 1,5 VC + GR L66,9 #6
uglylips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiemelen wrote:
Quote:

Edwards site clearly indicates the X-17 is .459 and the X-13 is .462.
You need to look at the big image on each of the trumpets detail site and click on the +-signs.

Ahhhh, thank you! I see this now. Yes, X-17 is .459.
Winnipeg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been absent from this thread...that I started...for some time and now find my way back to discover how things can get somewhat out of control. I'm not sure I owe an apology for getting this ball rolling but if so, I make my apology now.

Having said that, I'll give you an update if anyone's interested. After considerable forum review, playing of the few trumpets available for me here in Winnipeg, and chats with Flip Oakes, I purchased a used original model Wild Thing from Flip. (I hear you...old guy, comeback, playing a pro horn...a 470 at that!).

The Wild Thing does in fact extend my range significantly. For whatever reason, My Flair stuffed up for me in the A above the staff and above range but the Wild Thing just seems to stay open and slot very nicely up there WHEN I GET THINGS RIGHT. I've all cap'd to indicate that I really do understand that there isn't any magic fairy dust to get to double C's. Having said that, there's no question in my mind that the Wild Thing allows me to do some things better. The tone I get is also considerably richer and fuller than on the Flair. That's not to say the Wild Thing is "better"...just different.

And now, for the next chapter. The Wild Thing can be demanding and I run out of gas about half way into the second big band set. (I'm reluctantly playing first chair most of the time). Range tends to disappear. I can regain things to some extent after short breaks but it's hard work. Still all good fun but I'm not playing with the fluidity I'd like at that point.

So would a more "efficient" trumpet help with that? Smaller bore? Smaller venturi? Who knows but I'm an explorer of options so I'm bound to try something else out. And despite my advancing age, I'm a neophyte in the world of trumpet tech so just looking for some friendly, helpful advice.

By the way, guitar is my other musical passion. In that world, you can spend a fortune on "stuff" and still sound like ****. Sound familiar?

So I get that there are no magic trumpet beans. And I practice three times a day, most days...and I'm up to 2:30 on my full length pencil
javascript:emoticon('')

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: