• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mahler 1, ending of 2nd movement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcopella

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Mahler 1, ending of 2nd movement Reply with quote

3. Trompete (in F)

The last 3 bars are two written G#s (dotted halves) with a single trill notation spanning both -- with *double-sharp* indication below the trill mark, above each dotted-half -- followed by two grace notes (F-double sharp, G#) slurred to a written B, staccato eighth.

There's a notation in parentheses, "mit der unteren Note trillern" underneath the G#s.

I have this translated as, "Trill a step down".

My question -- is this a *half* step down or a *whole* step down. Taken literally, the German would (maybe?) indicate an implied whole step. BUT, the double-sharp marking underneath the trill line (and the concluding grace notes) seem to indicate a *half* step.

The weight of the evidence (to me) is that it's a half-step trill starting on the upper auxiliary between (concert) C#/C-natural, but because Mahler was so precise (and it seems he would've said a half-step, if he meant a half-step), it makes me second-guess my instinct.

Esteemed orchestral colleagues, what say you of this apparent conundrum?

Edit to add: maybe the issue is my translation, which is from the Gorham book of translations of directions in the brass parts of Mahler. Google Translate thinks this means "trill with the lower note" which (I think) would support the half-step interpretation -- C# to B-double sharp, starting on the upper note.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it means "trill with the lower note", and the double-sharp indicates the accidental on that lower note.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: