• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Looking for a new shallow mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrightonY125

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Looking for a new shallow mouthpiece Reply with quote

I have been researching for shallow mouthpieces and settled for the Bach 11EW or 10.5E or 10.5EW and the Curry 600 series 20S. What are the advantages or the comfortability of each.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your "old" shallow mouthpiece?

Why these particular makes/models?

Have you played any of these?

What have you used in the past, and what have you been successful (and unsuccessful) with?

The "advantages and comfortability" of each is going to be a personal thing - how others perceive them isn't necessarily going to be how you will.
Either way, without more information your odds of getting any replies that are relevant to you is pretty low.
BrightonY125

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
What is your "old" shallow mouthpiece?

Why these particular makes/models?

Have you played any of these?

What have you used in the past, and what have you been successful (and unsuccessful) with?

The "advantages and comfortability" of each is going to be a personal thing - how others perceive them isn't necessarily going to be how you will.
Either way, without more information your odds of getting any replies that are relevant to you is pretty low.

I'm actually going from a medium mouthpiece to a shallow mouthpiece. I chose these models because they were of credible brands and I saw that they had a pretty narrow rim diameter. I am new to shallow mouthpieces, which is why I ask for your help.
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Bach 10.75 EW.
Also, Schilke 6A4A
Northern Brass 63*
Stomvi Flex S6A VR (you'll have to figure out what gap shank to use)
Marcinkiewicz E12.4* Ingram
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Bach 10.75 EW.
Also, Schilke 6A4A
Northern Brass 63*
Stomvi Flex S6A VR (you'll have to figure out what gap shank to use)
Marcinkiewicz E12.4* Ingram
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a new shallow mouthpiece Reply with quote

BrightonY125 wrote:
I have been researching for shallow mouthpieces and settled for the Bach 11EW or 10.5E or 10.5EW and the Curry 600 series 20S. What are the advantages or the comfortability of each.

I don't know anything about the specific mouthpieces you've listed. My comments here are restricted solely to the advantages/disadvantages of shallow mouthpieces.

I played a Reeves 43/692/S for over 20 years. Those years were spent performing in a big band. I was typically on the 3rd book and did solo work although sometimes I'd play an isolated lead part to give the lead player a break and, also, because I had the range for the lead part. The reason I played the Reeves 43/692/S was because someone convinced me that you were supposed to play a shallow mouthpiece in a big band setting. It was not based on any independent thought whatsoever.

I have a naturally bright sound. With the Reeves 43/692/S it was paint peeling in its magnitude, I could project over anything. However, there came a point at which I started to give some thought to whether this was what I really wanted to sound like.

About 20 years ago I started to change my interest to small group improvisation and I started to develop a different focus in terms of the sound I wanted. I continued to play Reeves mouthpieces but I started going to deeper cups. What I found was that going to a deeper cup made my sound bigger and more full, warmer with more color, and it didn't affect my range at all.

My first transition from the Reeves 43/692/S was to a Reeves Dynamic Mass 43/M, which is the same diameter as the 43/692/S but a significantly deeper cup. I liked the sound I got with the new mouthpiece a lot, so I decided that if the M (medium) cup was good maybe the D (deep) cup would be even better. It was, so today I'm playing a Reeves Dynamic Mass 43/D.

I still do occasionally play in a big band, but I now play big band with my 43/D. When I'm on the 3rd part my sound is a lot bigger than it ever was with the 43/692/S, which actually makes the sound ideal for the 3rd part and much more supportive to the 2nd and lead parts. On those occasions when I'm on a lead part my sound still carries and projects sufficiently but it is a lot bigger and fuller than it ever was with the 43/692/S, sort of like comparing a Bill Chase sound (before) to a Conrad Gozzo sound (now). Both are great, but different, sounds.

The moral of the story is this: It pays to give a lot of thought to what you want your sound to be and to use equipment that is designed to help you produce that sound. If your ideal sound is "more brilliance" then a shallow cup is designed to help you produce that sound. If your ideal sound is bigger, more full, warmer and with more color then a deeper cup is designed to help you produce that sound.

Please understand that individual results can vary and "quality and desirability of sound" is highly subjective, but the foregoing is the general direction cup depths are designed to take you.
Knight17

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have played on a plastic kelly before.they now make a surgical steel kelly screamer
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a new shallow mouthpiece Reply with quote

BrightonY125 wrote:

The problem is, the answers to those questions might or might not apply to you. Like many of us, I’ve gone through the “bigger and deeper is better” phase, and now play on a RELATIVELY small/shallow GR Carl Fischer model, the “Jazz Rockstar.” But because it works for me on my horns absolutely doesn’t mean it will for someone else.

So how do you choose? If you can find a dealer with a return/exchange policy, that might work. But it’s very possible that after a number of years you end up with a drawer full of mouthpieces that just didn’t work....for YOU. You might have heard the legend of Doc’s bathtub full of mouthpieces.😉

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: