• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Guilty Fracker above the staff, help needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZardiChar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Guilty Fracker above the staff, help needed Reply with quote

Hello, High Schooler here. Since Monday I’ve been responsible for multiple fracks within my section. (the day I write of this is Friday). As I am the 1st Trumpet Player in Big Band, I started fracking notes on very specific measures. Other than attacks and long tones with the sustained note, what else can I do to improve and frack less?
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn to play sax?
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you can sing everything you play accurately and in tune. Pre-hear everything.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take private lessons. And practice, a LOT.
Seriously.

It’s a perfectly valid question to ask on a trumpet forum, but the internet is not a substitution for everything, this is something (among MANY others) you need a private teacher to help you with.

Brad
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Guilty Fracker above the staff, help needed Reply with quote

ZardiChar wrote:
Hello, High Schooler here. Since Monday I’ve been responsible for multiple fracks within my section.

...what else can I do to improve and frack less?

In part, the answer is - welcome to the trumpet!

This is something you'll be contending with as long as you play - you'll hear the best players who ever picked up the instrument play imperfect notes. The goal is to bring it to a minimum.

On the positive side - the horn never changes. There might be some subtle issues of variation from cold to warm but the physics of the instrument are unvarying - if you meet the requirements of physics to play the notes, the horn will respond exactly the same every time.

The problem is that the conglomeration of tissue, muscle, teeth, nerves and mind that is *you* is quite variable. If you nail a note cleanly one time but splatter it another time, it's something you did differently and it doesn't have to be a lot different. You may feel like you did it exactly the same but you didn't.

Your goal is to make yourself as consistent as possible through practice and awareness.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you made it to first chair in the big band you have to be a good player who this doesn't normally happen to, right? What is different this week? There are a range of factors that might cause an episode of fracking. Could it be stiffness in your chops from too much playing which might be helped by soft chromatics eg. Clarke Technical Studies to improve response. Have your lips become dry or a bit swollen? Have you started using a bit too much pressure because the music is more demanding or your chops are a bit tired this week. How is your timing in the phrases you are fracking, sometimes trouble with rhythm can cause it? and don't discount psychological factors eg nerves. Whatever, this week will pass and it is very likely the next will be better. Good luck.
Wick 2BFL
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brassmusician wrote:
If you made it to first chair in the big band you have to be a good player who this doesn't normally happen to, right? What is different this week? There are a range of factors that might cause an episode of fracking. Could it be stiffness in your chops from too much playing which might be helped by soft chromatics eg. Clarke Technical Studies to improve response. Have your lips become dry or a bit swollen? Have you started using a bit too much pressure because the music is more demanding or your chops are a bit tired this week. How is your timing in the phrases you are fracking, sometimes trouble with rhythm can cause it? and don't discount psychological factors eg nerves. Whatever, this week will pass and it is very likely the next will be better. Good luck.

+1!

Ever present danger of overusing ones chops - particularly when one´s challenged by "incoming" concerts.
However just resting doesn´t work - striving for tensionless playing (by the way "Pops Mc Laughlin has a paper about that) is one way. Very carefully blown double pedals has helped me relax - chops getting rejuvenated. But that´s personal may not fit all chops.
Be gentle to your lips!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, clamming some high notes is part of playing trumpet. It's a bit of a high-wire act, so don't feel like it's just you.

Obviously I've never heard you play, but I'll share one bit of information that may help and is pretty widely accepted among fine players that I have known.

Practice entrances on high notes with minimal preparation. Meaning, don't push the mouthpiece onto your face before the air starts moving out. Don't stop the air between the inhale and the exhale. Attacking the note should be one fluid motion beginning with the inhale. Train yourself to inhale with the mpc near the lip where you play, then immediately release the air without pausing to compress the air. It may or may not feel weird to do this at first, and it may even cause more clams for awhile. Your embouchure can set itself very quickly with training, work on this for a few weeks and your accuracy will likely improve. A famous teacher from a long time ago, James Stamp, called this a "most important point in my teaching." Also: "what pressure is needed is added after the breath."

However, the guidance of a qualified teacher sitting next to you is most important.

Good luck!
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find arpeggio exercises are really helpful for improving accuracy. Things like Arban pp. 142-151, Franquin 92-94. Franquin also has lots of interval studies that are like target practice--great for working on accuracy.

You can also improve accuracy by following the Mitchell books approach to practicing exercises: play an exercise once, rest, then play it again, rest, then play it one last time. As you're resting, think about specific things you want to do better on the next iteration, whether it's accurate note placement, rhythm, intonation, clarity of articulation or whatever. Multiple reps with focus on specific issues will improve your consistency and accuracy.
Piccolo Stomvi
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, there has been some great advice, but only 1 piece of that advice is going to be accurate, this is because not one person here has seen and heard you play.

That advice is get private lessons from the very best teacher you can afford. There is no other way. The reason for this is, as good as the direct practical advice is, it is GUESSING as to the reason why you are splitting notes and what may be a solution for you.

The ball is in your court.

cheers

Andy
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
So far, there has been some great advice, but only 1 piece of that advice is going to be accurate, this is because not one person here has seen and heard you play.

That advice is get private lessons from the very best teacher you can afford. There is no other way. The reason for this is, as good as the direct practical advice is, it is GUESSING as to the reason why you are splitting notes and what may be a solution for you.

The ball is in your court.

cheers

Andy

This.
As great as the internet is as a source of information and knowledge (and sometimes lack thereof), it’s not a substitute for the old tried and true solutions, ie, private lessons.

Asking here is fine, but if the OP REALLY wants answers.... lessons.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: