• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How I became a Super Recording owner

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: How I became a Super Recording owner Reply with quote

I was not short of trumpets. I had a 1955 Olds Special, and a 1958 Olds Studio, with the nickel bell flare. And I snuck the latter into the line up on the pretense that my daughter would be playing the Special, and therefore I needed a horn of my own. Well she ended up playing a Yamaha student model that was given to me, so I was currently out of excuses.

Then I see this Super Recording on the 'bay. It was under $1000 when I saw it. I told my wife it was the pearl of great price of trumpets, which is not too far off. I sniped it with a 2k bid and got it for $1670.

The seller said the 2nd valve had side to side movement. The pictures were clear and helpful, but not flattering. The finish is bad and there was a strangely delineated bare brass blotch on the bell, which could have been something bad. So maybe other would-be buyers balked at the ensuing valve job, or the bad appearance. I don't know why it went for so low.

Onto getting the horn and what I thought of it. I was bracing myself for underwhelmment for two reasons. I didn't want to buy into all the TH hype about the SR. Is it all based on that one post that has become the pledge of allegiance around here? And secondly, am I good enough of a player to even notice if it's truly an exceptional instrument?

Well I can say I am delighted with the instrument. There is no lateral movement in the second valve. It was clanking on the upstroke, but that was due to the inner pad being too thin to make contact with the bottom of the upper cap, and thus wasn't muffling the sound of the guide striking its resting position. I swapped felts with the Studio, and the clank is gone. The horn is very responsive. It makes my meager attempts at big boy parts easier. It's very responsive and has a wonderful sound. It's light and agile. The sound is not dark, but not overly bright. I am gratified that I can attest to the superiority of the instrument.

The other horns in this picture are the Studio on top and the Special on the bottom. I really like how the Studio feels. It's a fat, kind of lazy feel. I don't use it for working on technically difficult things, but I like playing it for easier passages. The Special plays rather dark for me. I will be selling it when I get around to it.

1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, and welcome to the club! I predict that your delight will not fade.
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Super Recording still has its original Lifton case. The horn was used so much that the mother of pearl on the second crook nub is worn down from rubbing against the wall of the case every time it was lifted out over the years. In those cases, the horn sits vertically in a triangular compartment.
Bach 7C mouthpiece

www.jazzscales.org
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has the original Lifton case, too (the one with the curving sides that bulge outward toward the bottom). It's a distinctive and well-made case, but it can rock on the curved side when positioned to allow the lid to open. I find that I like the way the horn sits in the case -- there's a padded bulge that the bell fits over to give it some protection and stabilize the horn.
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
Mine has the original Lifton case, too (the one with the curving sides that bulge outward toward the bottom). It's a distinctive and well-made case, but it can rock on the curved side when positioned to allow the lid to open. I find that I like the way the horn sits in the case -- there's a padded bulge that the bell fits over to give it some protection and stabilize the horn.

On my case the latch the keeps the mouthpiece compartment closed is loose, and the rectangular buttons on the main lid latches are both missing. The rest of the latch function also isn't good. I bought a button snap kit in order to make a strap to keep the mp box closed but haven't done it yet.
Bach 7C mouthpiece

www.jazzscales.org
taylordiving

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How I became a Super Recording owner Reply with quote

jetjaguar wrote:
I was not short of trumpets. I had a 1955 Olds Special, and a 1958 Olds Studio, with the nickel bell flare. And I snuck the latter into the line up on the pretense that my daughter would be playing the Special, and therefore I needed a horn of my own. Well she ended up playing a Yamaha student model that was given to me, so I was currently out of excuses.

Then I see this Super Recording on the 'bay. It was under $1000 when I saw it. I told my wife it was the pearl of great price of trumpets, which is not too far off. I sniped it with a 2k bid and got it for $1670.

The seller said the 2nd valve had side to side movement. The pictures were clear and helpful, but not flattering. The finish is bad and there was a strangely delineated bare brass blotch on the bell, which could have been something bad. So maybe other would-be buyers balked at the ensuing valve job, or the bad appearance. I don't know why it went for so low.

Onto getting the horn and what I thought of it. I was bracing myself for underwhelmment for two reasons. I didn't want to buy into all the TH hype about the SR. Is it all based on that one post that has become the pledge of allegiance around here? And secondly, am I good enough of a player to even notice if it's truly an exceptional instrument?

Well I can say I am delighted with the instrument. There is no lateral movement in the second valve. It was clanking on the upstroke, but that was due to the inner pad being too thin to make contact with the bottom of the upper cap, and thus wasn't muffling the sound of the guide striking its resting position. I swapped felts with the Studio, and the clank is gone. The horn is very responsive. It makes my meager attempts at big boy parts easier. It's very responsive and has a wonderful sound. It's light and agile. The sound is not dark, but not overly bright. I am gratified that I can attest to the superiority of the instrument.

The other horns in this picture are the Studio on top and the Special on the bottom. I really like how the Studio feels. It's a fat, kind of lazy feel. I don't use it for working on technically difficult things, but I like playing it for easier passages. The Special plays rather dark for me. I will be selling it when I get around to it.

Well done jetjaguar (cool handle!). I remember when that SR was up on the 'bay and was thinking along the same lines as you but, alas, with no discretionary income at my disposal I had to let it go. All the best with it as it sounds like you've latched onto a winner.
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A correction. There is indeed lateral play in the second piston. But it doesn't affect playing for me. The seller was accurate and honest.
Bach 7C mouthpiece

www.jazzscales.org
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on a great buy! My 1949 SR has valves that are a little worn. I use Berp bio oil #3 on them and it works great. I like it better than my 1947 SR with the sleeved leadpipe and tight valves. the '47 was overhauled by Getzen at some time in the past and looks almost like a new horn. My '49 looks kind of dogged out but it suits me to the ground.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: