• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Curry mouthpiece sizing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiandlo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Curry mouthpiece sizing Reply with quote

I am currently playing a Curry 7TF mouthpiece which I am very happy with. I was thinking of going to a 5TF, but I see very little difference in the cup diameter, if any between the two. I wanted to go to a little larger diameter, but did not see much difference, according to the specs given by Curry. Anybody know the difference between the two different sizes?........Also, does anyone play a 5B Curry and any comments ?
Schilke B7
DEG Signature model cornet

"Those who fail to prepare should prepare to fail"
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry changes the rim shape with each size... it might be that the 5 feels larger relative to a 7 than the numbers might show - then again, the rim feel could be quite different (it was between the 1.5, 3 and 5 rims I had)
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.currympc.com/index.php?id=47

7 rim .652" ID 5 rim .660" ID. His rims are designed from Bach C cup mouthpieces of the same number and are consistent through every depth. Bach's rims are all over the place, ie a 1 rim is very different from a 1C etc.
All the 5 series Currys will have the same 5C rim.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No direct experience with these but I've heard the Curry 7 is a bit more friendly than the Bach 7C and that the Curry 5 rim does, in fact, resemble the Bach 5C. I can't abide the Bach 7C or 5C rims and prefer the softer, flatter Bach 3C rim feel. If you don't hate the Curry 7 rim, then the shape of the Curry 5 might not be too big a leap.

I am familiar with the Curry 3C-series (3BC, 3P., 3M, 3Z.) which I find very comfortable but feels too large for me. I'd consider trying them again if they made a piece that felt 3C-like in a size more similar to the Yamaha 14C4, versus the current ones that I perceive as more similar to the Yamaha 16C4.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With curry rims, they are very consistent within a number series, but not the same from one series to the next - 7's and 5's will have a different shape thus feel and respond different.

If you're happy with the 7 stay there.

If you're wanting to try something a little bigger, from my experience and from what I've heard/seen generally, the 3 rim is more popular that the 5's.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The size of the Curry standard 7 series, as reproduced in mm is already for years wrong on the Curry site as well as on the MouthpieceExpress site: 16.7 mm. That has to be something like 16.55 mm. Bach gives 16.20 for their sevens.
My experience with Curry mouthpieces is (I still own five of them) that they are bigger (or feel bigger?) than the same numbered Bach pieces. When I was more or less collecting mp's in the 7 size, I ordered the Curry pieces in the 8.5 size to be on par.
I owned for some time a Curry 3BC but it was much to big for me, compared to the Bach 3C I was using then regularly.
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play on Curry 5 rims. I've played Curry 1-2-3 rims in the past. I can tell you, digital caliber at hand, that Curry #3 and #5 are very similar if not almost identical in cup size. The difference is in the rim and, believe me, is a BIG difference. The #5 rim makes the mouthpiece feel larger on the lips even if it is "an hair" smaller, it does also open up the sound a lot (much louder volume) and helps with flexibility. The downsize is that you must use a very soft touch on it or it will kill you in seconds and also you have to keep more control on your attacks or you'll lose precision.
To me the #5 rim is a winner. Can't speak for the #7 since i've never tried one but one thing i can tell for sure is that on the Curry line the big game change is on the rim size/type more than on the piece diameter.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: