• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Old Player Looking For Horn Suggestion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcio Bodnariuc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Old Player Looking For Horn Suggestion Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

New to the forum and glad to be here!
I am coming back to play the trumpet after 20 years I am 52 now and looking for advice. By the way I was never good even back then lol....

I currently own a 1967 Olds Ambassador and Yamaha YTR 4335 made in Japan and I am very happy with both horns. I struggle with air and my chops but there is nothing to do with the equipment it is me.

I have the opportunity to add a third trumpet to the list and hopefully one that will differ from what that I already have:

The choices are:

1952/53 Martin Imperial (pre Wulitzer) read good things about this particular one
1954/55 Holton LB51 Large Bore
1959/60 Holton LB51 Large Bore
1986 Yamaha YTR 6310b

Keep in mind that I am in Canada and none of this horns can be played before buying as it is located out of town it will have to be shipped to me.

I am looking for a high end semi or pro level with darker sound mostly for Jazz and with the dilemma of buying the newest trumpet that I can afford or a vintage trumpet. Have navigated the forum and found lots of pros and cons about new and vintages. I know that dark sound is subjective and most players can achieve that with chance of mouthpiece or controlling the embouchure but if there is a trumpet that differs from the ones that I have with a mellower/darker sound that what I would like to get.

If you have suggestion that is not in the list please let me know as on December 10 I will be in New Jersey for a couple of days and I plan to visit Dillon Music and go crazy but if I have a list in mind it will give me a better way to search what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance,
Marcio
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those two Holtons would do you well. When you say you struggle with air and chops... that Ambassador is doing you no favors. Turn it into a lamp.

With any luck your new setup will be gloriously resonant and you can stop working so hard. Imagine my surprise when I stopped using effort and then... everything was effortless!

Good luck!

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marcio,

You say you struggle with air, usually a large bore trumpet requires more air to fill than medium large or medium bore horns.While there is nothing wrong with the Olds Ambassador, the Martin would be my first choice,then the Yamaha.

Best of luck,
Al
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Innella wrote:
Hi Marcio,

You say you struggle with air, usually a large bore trumpet requires more air to fill than medium large or medium bore horns.

Usually? Over here a 1978 Getzen Eterna 900ML and a 1991 Eterna 900LB. Guess what: The Large Bore has more resistance in the blow!

Bore size says very little; my former Conn 'Victor' 22B (medium bore) was far more free blowing than my Getzen Eterna 700s (ML bore)

If you struggle with air better read this and practice: http://www.trumpetmaster.com/threads/circle-of-breath.90624/

Actually the Martin would be my first choice as well, the one I once possessed was a fine instrument with a nice dark sound in her
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you love conflicting advice? I vote for a small or medium bore trumpet. After that, it's all in the mouthpiece to adjust and fine tune the resistance. I've gotten rid of all larger bore trumpets as well as medium large bores. Now all I have is a medium and two small bores. Life is easier that way.

Of course if you really want easy to play, skip the trumpet and go cornet.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you're visiting Dillon, try out some of their used cornets. You may decide that's just what you're looking for...
trumpaholic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Ontario Canada and have a Carol Brass Committee style .453 bore horn which will meet all your requirements, easy blowing, dark sweet timbre and fabulous valves and slides. <My email is trumpet.guy@bell.net if you would like good pictures and details. Only about 1 1/2 hours from Toronto, your welcome to drive over and check out my 8 trumpets for sale. 3 new Carol Brass horns, 4 used ones, and a vintage Bach Strad from 71.

Trump
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Dillons, try everything and then decide. BTW, I just fixed an Olds Ambassador that played beautifully. I'd take it on any gig.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two things going on here: one is about breathing and air flow. The other is about a choice of an additional trumpet.

The easy one is choice of another horn. Get what you like. And really, whatever you like. From your list, I would pick the Martin and ignore the others. I'd also be very tempted to say get rid of the ambassador. For all then hype, they are just another (albeit tank-like) student instrument.

The more difficult issue is air. If there is no underlying disease, or degenerative issue like COPD, then some attention here, with the guidance of a good trumpet teacher will help - a LOT. Then you'll get more benefit out of all your horns!

cheers

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: