• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

From a medium deep to a shallow mouthpiece

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, some players do, very successfully, switch from a large ID for legit to a small ID for lead playing. Chad Shoopman, who was lead trumpet with the Disney street band in Florida and also subbed for Wayne Bergeron in the Big Phat Band is just such a guy. Bottom line, we each have to work it out for ourselves. 3C for legit and a .590" Warburton for lead. Go figure.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-iry-fullyhosted_003&hsimp=yhs-fullyhosted_003&hspart=iry&p=chad+Shoopman#id=1&vid=eaa63f31755336196c9d47a409de7dab&action=click
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 1C requires a very strong and well established embouchure. Without these elements everything regarding analyzing problems buzzing goes out the window!

Cheers,

Gordon Stump
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: From a medium deep to a shallow mouthpiece Reply with quote

KRELL1960 wrote:
BrightonY125 wrote:
Hey guys, I know its stupid. I'm going from a Bach 1C to a shallow 20S Curry mouthpiece. I've been playing with medium mouthpieces only before, and I find that I can't get a consistent buzz on my new shallow mouthpiece. Please suggest any exercises so that can help me adapt from a medium mouthpiece to a shallow one.

try going from a Bach 1C to a curry 80S or 70S, something that is closer diameter wise than the 20S, thats like jumping from the grand canyon into a water glass, keep your diameter closer to what your used to and change the cup depth or backbore or drill size and i think you will have better results.

good luck

tom

I would agree with that. My first try at a shallower piece was in college jazz band, I was using a Schilke 15 for everything legit, tried a 14a4a for jazz (lead) and weekend/wedding band.

For me, it was a fairly easy combination of sizes to alternate between.

Brad
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: From a medium deep to a shallow mouthpiece Reply with quote

BrightonY125 wrote:
Hey guys, I know its stupid. I'm going from a Bach 1C to a shallow 20S Curry mouthpiece. I've been playing with medium mouthpieces only before, and I find that I can't get a consistent buzz on my new shallow mouthpiece. Please suggest any exercises so that can help me adapt from a medium mouthpiece to a shallow one.

Sounds like you're a young fellow. When we're in our youth we often go to extremes. Having said that? It is still possible to play both large and small mouthpieces. I play two myself. One is almost as big as your 1C and another probably at least as shallow as your Curry. However?

I learned to blow shallow mouthpieces in graduated stages. If a mouthpiece proved to feel too small at first? I shelved it but didn't get rid of it. Never dump a mouthpiece! As,

"What is wrong today may be right tomorrow" And,
"What is right today may not work tomorrow".

Instead of throwing out the shallow piece? Or trying in vain to make it work? I chose a piece which was a little deeper than the one I had trouble with. As my chops developed into playing the slightly larger piece pretty well? I found that the really shallow one became easier to play.

The shallower pieces, like the deepest ones require a well developed embouchure. In fact it has been said that a trumpet player with a well trained embouchure can play any mouthpiece well. I've found this statement to be largely true. Hey! Here's a good trick. One that I swear works great.

A mouthpiece which is a little too shallow for your chops right now may open up great after you get a little tired on a gig. I was with an R & B band a few years ago. Required me to stay above high C practically all night. So naturally I had to deal with fatigue from time to time. What I did was to bring along that mouthpiece which ran a little too shallow for my chops. Only when we got into the third set would I pull it out. Suddenly it opened up like magic! It was like a two stage rocket. I flew through the last set as strong or even better thsn earlier.

As time went by I shifted over to my shallower piece earlier and earlier in the night. Until I actually used it exclusively. What had happened was that I needed more time for my embouchure to develop. After I made the switch completely? I bought a mouthpiece a tad shallower even than the other and repeated the same process again to the new, even shallower piece.

A word to the wise: I never use tight throats on my shallow pieces. All my 'screamer' pieces have at least a #23 throat bore. Whereas typical stock mouthpieces run between a #27 to #28. These tight throats and back-bores are okay on large pieces but on the shallow guys will usually produce way too much edge in the tone. Even a lead player must blow a good fat low C sometimes. The larger throat and back-bore combination makes this possible.

Please believe everything I put down above. I hope that they work well for you too. Even if they don't work immediately? Keep the memory of them. They may eventually work for you.

PS: Any time you open up a throat in a mouthpiece you must also modify the whole back-bore. Because by opening the throat from say a #28 to #24? You're also lengthening the throat at tge same time. When a throat gets too long the upper registwr goes way flat. Even though the sound is good. If you only open up the throat without keeping it's length short? In order to tune your high C you might have to actually finger a C#. I'm not kidding! Throats which are cut too long can drop the upper register almost a half step lower.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
ktrha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: From a medium deep to a shallow mouthpiece Reply with quote

BrightonY125 wrote:

I don't think it's stupid at all. I agree few mention to try 3C-ish. I think you should add practicing totally different than before on small shallow one.

(1) try to practice super soft dynamics (not even in playing volume) on 20S, almost whispering with sometimes hiss type sound with hearing air stream than actual sound, mid range to upper.

(2) bend any random note at first to lower pitch and try higher in also soft volume, and try to play all possible harmonics on each fingering, glissando and it's tough one but connect and slur between notes. if u use cup mute or plunger mute, it maybe easier to get idea. sound should get like you are using half valve technics...

(3) then play in normal volume and make sure try to play what you hear and how you want.

(4) make sure don't do too much (2) before you would have to play gigs/rehearsals....

take a lot of break between each air blowing.
I learned these from Louis Mucci (former lead for Miles/Gil Evans Orchestra) in early 90s, I was on 1-1/2C, 3C then trying to get used to on small/shallow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: