• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke 18

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lang9201

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Schilke 18 Reply with quote

Ive been a "lurker" on this forum for a few years and picked up a lot of good information that actually helped. With that, I have a mouthpiece question.

Background: I played through high school and college. After college, I was hit and miss but tried to maintain. After kids arrived I took a few years off. I've been regular for the last four years, playing in local orchestras and brass bands. I play lead in these groups.

I play a 70s Bach Strad 37 and 80s Holton T103. Most of my life was spent playing a Bach 3C. Ive always experienced a lack of endurance. A few months back I read an article about matching mouthpiece ID to lip fleshiness. I have relatively fleshy lips and decided to try a Schilke 18 based on some broad advice in the article. Interestingly, my endurance improved... with the added benefit of larger volume and what sounds to me like richer tone.

This is all good, but I sacrified a bit of my upper register. I recently attempted to play on my 3C with less than stellar results (found it hard to get notes out). Suffice it to say... I find the Schilke 18 comfortable.

Finally, my question. Do you think a Schilke 18 with shallower cup would be something to try? Any recommendations? Ive been good at avoiding the mouthpiece safari thus far... Any thoughts you have are appreciated.

J
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a Schilke 18 for decades. A teacher put me on it long ago, and I just stuck with it. It was the most comfortable mouthpiece I ever played. I play a Curry 3C. now, and I like it a lot better, but it's less comfortable. Some people want the most comfortable mouthpiece, but eventually I went for better sound, and better endurance.

Schilke mouthpieces typically insert a bit deeper in the receiver than some other brands. It always worked fine with my Bach, but it was just wrong on the King. The Curry works well with both.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schilke now makes an 18B4 which could be a reasonable option.
https://www.schilkemusic.com/products/mouthpieces/trumpet-cornet/#standard
R. Tomasek
bworth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using a Bach 3c for a long time and have endurance issues also. I recently bought a Curry 60c (600 series) and when my lip gets tired I switch to it and can play longer. If I start with it first I don't seem to slot as well. I have not used a Schilke 18.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 18 diameter is going to be larger than a 3C. If you want to look at a diameter and a cup shape close to the 3C, the 14B might be a place to look. The 15B was made from a copy of a 1 1/2 C, so it too will be larger.

I own an 18B and I can tell you, it feels significantly smaller than any other 18 rimmed Schilke I own, including a custom 18A I have.
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
L.A.Benge

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Schilke 18 Reply with quote

Lang9201 wrote:
..... I read an article about matching mouthpiece ID to lip fleshiness....

I was just reading and reflecting on this myself. Another member posted this...
https://storkcustom.com/how-your-lips-dictate-your-mouthpiece-choice/
Lang9201

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Schilke 18 Reply with quote

L.A.Benge wrote:
Lang9201 wrote:
..... I read an article about matching mouthpiece ID to lip fleshiness....

I was just reading and reflecting on this myself. Another member posted this...
https://storkcustom.com/how-your-lips-dictate-your-mouthpiece-choice/

Thats the one
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Schilke 18 Reply with quote

Lang9201 wrote:
...Do you think a Schilke 18 with shallower cup would be something to try?

Yes, I do. I have large full lips that work better with larger mouthpieces. But with a larger rim comes proportionally larger cup volume, which makes range and endurance more difficult. Choosing a mouthpiece with a larger rim to fit the chops and a slightly shallower cup to reduce cup volume is a great approach for trumpeters who need that.

When I consulted with Phyllis Stork, she recommended a mouthpiece with a rim in the 17.0-17.2mm range and a medium-shallow cup. I tried a Stork Vacchiano 2DT+, which is close to 17.0mm, and it worked great for me.

At one point, I was doing a lot of strenuous playing and felt I needed something closer to 17.2mm. I tried a Yamaha 17B4 and a Stork Vacchiano 1.25DT (as soon as it was released!). Both worked great for me. Since then, I haven't had much trouble with swelling and I've moved back down to the Stork 2DT+. I like a mpc with an inner diameter rim that's just big enough, but no bigger.

If you need a mpc with inner rim diameter around 17.5mm, then the Schilke 18B4 might work well for you. If your chops can comfortably fit something smaller, around 17.3mm, then either the Schilke 17B4 or Yamaha 17B4 would be worth a try.
Piccolo Stomvi
bean_counter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played an 18 since senior year high school, and back when I played hours every day I could do just about anything with it. But those days are long gone, real world it’s hard to find enough practice time. A few years ago I tried a 14A4 when trying to keep up with a former studio pro playing commercial style material at church, but my chops ‘shut down’. Sounds like your experience with the 3C is similar.

The 18B4 was the solution, works very well for me. Better range, mostly in the form of ease and endurance in the upper register. A bit brighter but I’m usually the darkest tone in the section anyway. Wasn’t much of a safari at all. Wish I could find a BBB cornet mouthpiece as easily.

The 18B4 might work well for you, but I’ll give the caveat that I don’t think I am playing at your level.

I think the Stork approach has merit. Years ago I had a brief lesseon with a famous player, he spent some time looking at my lips/ emochre/ face and said I needed a bigger mouthpiece with my full lips.
Eclipse cornet (Yellow, Bauerfeind) DW 4B Heritage
Cousnon clairon Bb
'60s Besson tenor horn DW 3
Lang9201

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Schilke 18 Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
Lang9201 wrote:
...Do you think a Schilke 18 with shallower cup would be something to try?

Yes, I do. I have large full lips that work better with larger mouthpieces. But with a larger rim comes proportionally larger cup volume, which makes range and endurance more difficult. Choosing a mouthpiece with a larger rim to fit the chops and a slightly shallower cup to reduce cup volume is a great approach for trumpeters who need that.

When I consulted with Phyllis Stork, she recommended a mouthpiece with a rim in the 17.0-17.2mm range and a medium-shallow cup. I tried a Stork Vacchiano 2DT+, which is close to 17.0mm, and it worked great for me.

At one point, I was doing a lot of strenuous playing and felt I needed something closer to 17.2mm. I tried a Yamaha 17B4 and a Stork Vacchiano 1.25DT (as soon as it was released!). Both worked great for me. Since then, I haven't had much trouble with swelling and I've moved back down to the Stork 2DT+. I like a mpc with an inner diameter rim that's just big enough, but no bigger.

If you need a mpc with inner rim diameter around 17.5mm, then the Schilke 18B4 might work well for you. If your chops can comfortably fit something smaller, around 17.3mm, then either the Schilke 17B4 or Yamaha 17B4 would be worth a try.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Very helpful. I'll give both the 18B4 and 17B3 a try.
Lang9201

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bean_counter wrote:
I have played an 18 since senior year high school, and back when I played hours every day I could do just about anything with it. But those days are long gone, real world it’s hard to find enough practice time. A few years ago I tried a 14A4 when trying to keep up with a former studio pro playing commercial style material at church, but my chops ‘shut down’. Sounds like your experience with the 3C is similar.

The 18B4 was the solution, works very well for me. Better range, mostly in the form of ease and endurance in the upper register. A bit brighter but I’m usually the darkest tone in the section anyway. Wasn’t much of a safari at all. Wish I could find a BBB cornet mouthpiece as easily.

The 18B4 might work well for you, but I’ll give the caveat that I don’t think I am playing at your level.

I think the Stork approach has merit. Years ago I had a brief lesseon with a famous player, he spent some time looking at my lips/ emochre/ face and said I needed a bigger mouthpiece with my full lips.

It certainly sounds like we are in a similar situation. I'll be giving the 18B4 a try. Ive never used a Stork... I'll have to do some research on that approach. Thanks for replying.
Mmmatt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m a comeback player less than 2 months in from a 30 year break so take this for what it is. fME the 18 plays like a much smaller piece. It has a magical rim and a larger throat and the sound is rich and fat. I played an 18 in HS and college. In the day I wanted to try a screamer mouthpiece so I was recommended to try a Giardinelli 1s because it was the same cup diameter as my 18 but shallower. My tone went to crap and I didn’t gain much range so I switched back. Even though the diameter was the same, the Giardinelli felt much larger. There is something special about that 18 rim that makes it sound like a fat cup but feel smaller.

Sadly the Schilke shank is too long for my Getzen Severinsen receiver, so I am on a safari. I will be interested to see what you find. I bet you will be disappointed with anything that has a typical throat and that or smaller seems to be the case with any shallow cup piece. I’m waiting on a handful of used Warburtons so I can hopefully narrow things down by flipping Backbores and cups. Even loose in the receiver of the Getzen, the 18 sounds better than anything I have tried so far.
1969 Reynolds Emperor Flugelhorn
1956 Olds Recording
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmatt, have you considered having a custom mouthpiece made: Schilke 18 made on a shorter (perhaps Bach?) blank.

I bet James R New could do it for you. His quality is impeccable; he's a pleasure to work with; I was surprised how reasonable his prices are for a custom mouthpiece.

I'm sure other mouthpiece makers could do something similar.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lang9201, you can't be sure exactly why the Schilke works so well for you. It might be the
    diameter
    rim contour
    the angle at which the rim meets top of cup
    the resistance due to volume, depth, throat, backbore
    etc.

A Schilke 18B4 might work for you, but the rim will have a different contour from the Schilke 18. You might be sensitive to that difference; you might not. You won't know until you try.

Welcome to the world of Mouthpiece Safari!
Mmmatt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry wrote:
Mmmatt, have you considered having a custom mouthpiece made: Schilke 18 made on a shorter (perhaps Bach?) blank.

I bet James R New could do it for you. His quality is impeccable; he's a pleasure to work with; I was surprised how reasonable his prices are for a custom mouthpiece.

I'm sure other mouthpiece makers could do something similar.

Yeah, that’s kinda how I justified the warburtons. I have heard you can have a mouthpiece top cut off and threaded for the Walburton bottoms. I got 4 bottoms and 4 tops for $160, so it seemed a good investment. Anxiously waiting for them to hit the doorstep. Right now, being a chopless has been, I can’t really take advantage of the 18 like I did in the day but I feel like I’ll be back at that level soon. I get the sound I want but a little more resistance helps with my limited airflow.

For the record, I also picked up a Bach 2 which by description has a similar rim conture. It was a custom piece however with the 76 backbore which I thought might help with my limited power. Can’t speak on the std version but on this one I sound like poop. It is comfortable though.

I am going to be starting some comeback lessons soon and will be leaning on my instructor and his ears for all of this. He may have mouthpiece suggestions that will help me rebuild my chops. Getting the sound I want can come later if that is the case.
1969 Reynolds Emperor Flugelhorn
1956 Olds Recording
Lang9201

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry wrote:
Lang9201, you can't be sure exactly why the Schilke works so well for you. It might be the
    diameter
    rim contour
    the angle at which the rim meets top of cup
    the resistance due to volume, depth, throat, backbore
    etc.

A Schilke 18B4 might work for you, but the rim will have a different contour from the Schilke 18. You might be sensitive to that difference; you might not. You won't know until you try.

Welcome to the world of Mouthpiece Safari!

Thanks. Hopefully won't need a land yacht to get through it! I have a Yam and Schilke 17B4 on the way.

I'll also be working a tension reduction...
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must make a slight correction to Dr. Lilly's statement.
The 15B is a copy of long-time Chicago pro, John Cvejanovich's Mt Vernon 3C.
John's 3C was a bit larger that other 3C's of that time, which was typical of Bach at that time.
John is a long time friend and mentor of mine.

R. Tomasek
Lang9201

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an update. I ordered both a Yamaha amd Schilke 17B4. They are interestingly different for having such similar specs. Im sending them both back; they felt a bit "crammed." I also did not feel any better in the upper register compared to the 18. In fact, they sounded stuffy. Wondering if that tight back bore is the reason?

I'm going to try an 18B4 to see if maintaining the larger ID coupled with a bit shallower cup makes a difference. If this fails, I'll likely focus on putting more time in on the 18 before cobtinuing the safari.

Hope you folks had a good Thanksgiving.

J
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
The 18 diameter is going to be larger than a 3C. If you want to look at a diameter and a cup shape close to the 3C, the 14B might be a place to look. The 15B was made from a copy of a 1 1/2 C, so it too will be larger.

I own an 18B and I can tell you, it feels significantly smaller than any other 18 rimmed Schilke I own, including a custom 18A I have.

Actually, the 15B was made from a Mt.Vernon 3C for John Cvejanovich. The 14 was designed from the 1 1/2C. Bach's numbers did not necessarily correspond with ID.
Ed K former Schilke tech. [/b]
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lang9201.
If you want to know why some pieces work and others not, go here to GR school and read about the parameters and variables in mouthpieces. The slightest change in rim, diameter, alpha angle, cup shape, throat, and back bore to name just a few, can make or break a mouthpiece for a player.
https://www.grmouthpieces.com/category-s/271.htm
R. Tomasek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: