• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke 18

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lang9201 wrote:
Here's an update. I ordered both a Yamaha amd Schilke 17B4. They are interestingly different for having such similar specs. Im sending them both back; they felt a bit "crammed." I also did not feel any better in the upper register compared to the 18. In fact, they sounded stuffy. Wondering if that tight back bore is the reason?

I'm going to try an 18B4 to see if maintaining the larger ID coupled with a bit shallower cup makes a difference. If this fails, I'll likely focus on putting more time in on the 18 before cobtinuing the safari.

Hope you folks had a good Thanksgiving.

J

Your 18 and the 17B4 have the same Schilke 'c' backbore. Otherwise there would be a lower case letter after the 4 (rim contour) indicating a larger or smaller backbore. c is standard, b and a are tighter, d and e are larger and more open. The 18B4 will have a flatter rim contour with a shallower cup and the same c backbore a your 18 (18C3c).
Lang9201

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been paying on an 18B4 this week. It's stellar thus far. I have a long gig conning up...going to be a good test.

Thanks for all the replies.
tampa49

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great question, having had this issue in the past and lost in the mouthpiece safari for several years, I can recommend for your Bach 37, using a Bach 5c or 5b, and for overall use, a Schilke 13A4a, a little shallower cup and will help endurance and buzzing of lips. Also do a mouthpiece buzz routine ( Stamp ) as a daily warmup. Play every day.
Lawler C7
Lawler Model T in C
Yamaha 732 Bb
Bach Stradivarius 72*
Benge Resno 5 Flugelhorn
Couesnon Flugelhorn
Member Bugles Across America
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
why not try some models among Marcinkiewicz 300 serie ? they're in the Bach 1 1/2 ot Schilke 18 ID size, they're very consistent, the rim is really comfortable, and you have 15 cup depth variations !!! you can order standard or symphonic backbore.

Dario Frate has also many variations to offer

best
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: