• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Identifying issues with this trumpet???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ATrumpetBrony
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Identifying issues with this trumpet??? Reply with quote

tl;dr - I'm borrowing an old trumpet with no markings that doesn't slot well in the lower range, but it's parts seem to work fine. It's been repaired a lot and has a thick bell. What gives???

----

I'm borrowing my boss's trumpet that he got from a friend in Norway maybe 30-some years ago - mostly just to test it out. It's some sort of silver-plated something, but the engraving on top of the bell is covered by a badge with the original owners name engraved on it.

The issue with this horn is that it's really difficult to slot at any note below roughly an F# near the bottom of the staff, and even if it does slot it sounds pretty dang bad. Trying to play any type of material that uses that lower register or moves between low regrets and middle-staff or above is a huge chore.

This horn seems to have had quite a few solder repairs, and one that attaches the leadpipe to the 2nd valve is actually broken. I did also test the leadpipe on other horns (don't ask how) and it's a really nice leadpipe that actually feels NICER to play on than my Yamaha 5335 (brighter/clearer, easier to slot), so I doubt it's that.
I just gave it a water'n'soap bath, haven't had a chance to put it back together and see if that helped any, but I doubt that makes a big difference.

One thing I do notice is that no mouthpiece that I own seems to fit quite as deep as in my other horns; they all stick out maybe 1/3 in on this horn, so I'm betting that has a lot to do with why it won't slot right. The horn also seems to have a REALLY thick metal for the bell.

Like I said, I have no clue what brand this horn is, there aren't any markings on the case, and the only thing that looks like a potential identifying mark is covered by a thick metal circle with the first owner's name inscribed on it. It also has a number on the side of the 2nd valve, it says 332.

I can post photos of all this of you guys want them but I doubt it will help much. I'll try to get them posted anyway

Thanks!

It's not what you play...
It's HOW you play
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
if i'd want to joke, i'd quote your signature ;
it's not what you play
it's HOW you play

No, seriously, according to what you're saying, this horn is not worth at all... only a repairman could do something with it...
best
ATrumpetBrony
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVL wrote:
Hello
it's not what you play
it's HOW you play

No, seriously, according to what you're saying, this horn is not worth at all... only a repairman could do something with it...
best

Ouch, fair enough, it could be me!!!

Nah, I have given up on this horn. I feel like I neglected to mention it but it also looks like all three of the slides except the 2nd valve slide have had extensions added onto them. Probably puts the horn way out-of-whack I guess...

In any case, I'm done messing with this horn. It's a shame, it seems like with this leadpipe it could've been a good performer!

It's not what you play...
It's HOW you play
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, what JVL said. A leadpipe is only as good as the setup it is on. Some are literally a tube with zero taper...

There is no magic fix for anything.

If this trumpet plays like junk: the question is answered and the 'window of creative lighting options in the spare bedroom opportunity' has creaked open for you!

cheers

Andy
LagosTrumpeter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATrumpetBrony wrote:
JVL wrote:
Hello
it's not what you play
it's HOW you play

best

Ouch, fair enough, it could be me!!!

Nah, I have given up on this horn. I feel like I neglected to mention it but it also looks like all three of the slides except the 2nd valve slide have had extensions added onto them. Probably puts the horn way out-of-whack I guess...

In any case, I'm done messing with this horn. It's a shame, it seems like with this leadpipe it could've been a good performer!

Sounds like giving up on what apparently is a screwed-up Frankenhorn was the best plan.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: