• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

3c rim but less cup depth

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ohnecael

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: 3c rim but less cup depth Reply with quote

Im looking for a mouthpiece with a 3 rim but less cup depth. Not looking for a lead piece or any specialized type mouthpieces, just something with a little more pizzaz if you are catching my drift.

Edit: ive used Stork, Curry, Bach and Schilke. Ive enjoyed Curry and Stork the Best and would appreciate any reccomendations in either of those two manufacturers. thanks again!
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using a 3C? If so you could try a Curry 3D or 3DE, or maybe one of the M models.
crose
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Curry mediums cups are great. All about the same depth, but different shapes. His descriptions on his site are spot on.

My take - The * is bright - great for commercial work or holding down a non-lead chair in a big band.

M - lots of folks love it - not enough difference for me

I love the DE cup. Lots of folks use it for picc, but I use it for all around playing unless I have to enter the "legit" world.

* = Star

http://www.currympc.com/index.php?id=47

I try to buy local, but have no guilt in using the big box stores return policy to try pieces.
TIJO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Reeves can put a 3c rim on any of their cup and backbore combinations.
I just got a 3c/SV/692 from them and couldn't be happier.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been my experience that the Curry 3C has a bit of a bright bite to the sound, and it's a comfortable mouthpiece. Maybe that's something you could try.

Or, a screw-rim setup would probably get you where you want to go too.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
ohnecael

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crose wrote:
The Curry mediums cups are great. All about the same depth, but different shapes. His descriptions on his site are spot on.

My take - The * is bright - great for commercial work or holding down a non-lead chair in a big band.

I love the DE cup. Lots of folks use it for picc, but I use it for all around playing unless I have to enter the "legit" world.

* = Star

I try to buy local, but have no guilt in using the big box stores return policy to try pieces.

I forgot about these! thanks for showing me these again, I love the curry rim after using the 1.25TF for my mellophone. Thanks for the link!
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohnecael wrote:
crose wrote:

* = Star

I forgot about these! thanks for showing me these again, I love the curry rim after using the 1.25TF for my mellophone. Thanks for the link!

there is also the curry precision lineup that may be just what your looking for, lots of options there.

tom
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always the humble Yamaha Shew Jazz, too - the slightly tighter backbore gives it that extra sprinkling of sparkle... might be all you need, and they're fairly priced (and abundant used).
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my memory is correct, Bach makes a 3D and a 3E.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one 3C playing friend that likes the Bach 3D. Personally, I don't like the 3D rim.

I know another player who wanted a 3C with a shallower cup but didn't want the 3D rim or backbore so he had a Reeves cut and thread a 3C rim onto a 3C underpart but had Bob reduce the cup to approximate the 3D depth. I'm pretty sure he uses that for his picc.

I liked the Shew Jazz well enough but something about it hurt my endurance. FWIW I did play a Bach 1.5C underpart with a 76 backbore for a while and it felt just fine.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart

Last edited by cheiden on Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the Curry 3M.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peanuts56 wrote:
If my memory is correct, Bach makes a 3D and a 3E.

Yes, but the 3D and 3E have a slightly different rim -- it's a Bach thing. The Curry 3DE was perfect for me -- nice rim, cup size just right, great for lead playing. But every one is individual so I cannot say what works best for another.
ML52K
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horntrader.com has his HT3CS. Reported to be slightly shallower 3C patterned after I believe a Mt Vernon 3C of Arturo’s. Now with 29, 28, or 27 drill size. I have the 3CS-27. I find it very comfortable. For “me” it gives me a clear but not bright tone quality with better upper register support.
ohnecael

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ML52K wrote:
Horntrader.com has his HT3CS. Reported to be slightly shallower 3C patterned after I believe a Mt Vernon 3C of Arturo’s. Now with 29, 28, or 27 drill size. I have the 3CS-27. I find it very comfortable. For “me” it gives me a clear but not bright tone quality with better upper register support.

that sounds right up my alley in what i was looking for, Ive been using a bach 3c for a good few years and the problem I had with it was on shallower stuff I had a pretty decent range for a HS player and my tone was what i wanted but with the 3c the resonance just felt dead. My teacher wouldnt let me switch to anything but bach since he was a loyalist i guess but i dropped him for someone else and im looking for new options. Thanks for the suggestion.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Curry 3M is a little more shallow than his 3C and still has a middle of the road sound (for me, anyway). The 3Z is even more shallow, has a smaller throat, and has a lot more zing to the tone.
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also worth considering is an ACB 3CS
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Curry pieces but for some reason i can not get along with his M cup that seems the most reasonable choice for someone wanting a slightly shallower C cup. I suggest along with others in this thread that you try the DE cup. Very confy cup for me. If you're looking for a lead piece the Z will do.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
Steve Hollahan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Bach 3C Reply with quote

If you are looking for a smaller cup, try the 3D or 3E, also there is a 3F. Great mouthpiece. Wish I'd stayed with it, but on advice of teacher got a 1 1/2 C.

Now play a Reeves 43N deep C 2 6 with 27 throat. Also, same back bore with 26 throat for C trumpet.

Check Reeves comparator for suggestions on new mouthpieces.
Kanstul 900 piccolo trumpet
Sculptured Recrafting Custom Instrument Repair
and Restoration
www.sculpturedrecrafting.com
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach 3D
Shew Jazz
Warburton 4M

That being said, call Phyllis Stork and talk to her about what you are looking for. They will usually send you a couple of pieces to try, and send them back if they don't work. John and Phyllis are good people.

Pete
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bach 3C Reply with quote

Steve Hollahan wrote:
If you are looking for a smaller cup, try the 3D or 3E, also there is a 3F. Great mouthpiece. Wish I'd stayed with it, but on advice of teacher got a 1 1/2 C.

Now play a Reeves 43N deep C 2 6 with 27 throat. Also, same back bore with 26 throat for C trumpet.

Check Reeves comparator for suggestions on new mouthpieces.

I used a Reeves 43N for a while. Its rim feels closer to the 3C than the stock Reeves rim which feels uncomfortably wider to me. The M cup is reasonable for someone wanting a little shallower than a stock Bach 3C.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: