• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha 2nd gen Xeno 8335II

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:43 am    Post subject: Yamaha 2nd gen Xeno 8335II Reply with quote

Just wondering how many people are playing on the second gen Xenos (AKA 8335II)?

I had a search on here but didn't turn up much by way of results, except that the updated versions are supposed to be a significant improvement on the original xeno.

Anyone have much to say on these? Specifically the standard configuration (normal leadpite, yellow brass bell).

Thanks!
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been unhappy with the II horns generally - and I'm thinking more of low brass than high, but in general it always seems to be the same story of reduced fabrication steps, reduced taper, etc. Have you noticed how many top guys play the original Chicago C but not the IIs, while on EBay you never see an original for sale, but lots of CHSIIs? My 8335 is an original, and while I have not tried the II version, I think based on other examples I am lucky to have mine.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been very impressed with the Gen II Xenos. The 8335GS II in particular is one of my favorite all around horns.
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve never played a Gen 1 8335 that is even close to playing as well as a 8335II. They are Huge improvements over the 8335.

Most 9445chsII players replaced 9445 models too. There are a bunch of players who stayed on their 9445 gen 1. (Why switch if it’s working) But, far more have switched. There are a bunch of Gen II players who prefer the Gen 1 tuning slide though.
Karel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A year ago I purchased a lacquered Xeno 8335II with yellow brass bell. A really outstanding instrument. Best trumpet I ever had.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at buying one of these early next year. Any notable orchestral musicians playing the 8335II xenos? I know most pros, if they play a Yamaha, are probably playing on the 9335 Chicago or NY models, but just wondering.
It's one thing to play on in a shop, it's another to play it in situation, in a big hall, beside a line up of Bach 37s etc.

I haven't played on yet, but they're on my short list as they're within my budget but the Bach isn't. I have a couple of other trumpets, a lightweight Kanstul and a Shagerl James Morrison Academica (which is actually a fantastic trumpet), and great fun to play for Jazz etc, but both are quite 'slippery' and not the appropriate timbre for classical playing, which I'm planning to do a lot more of in 2019.
I need something that has firmer slots, as I find it far too easy to 'slip' or 'skate' on the slot without intending to. It feels like walking on egg shells a bit. Also, need a bit more of a balanced sound character with some good darkness, presence and brilliance.

Thanks for responses so far!
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing my Xeno 8335IIS for over 3 years now. I love it... great instrument for me. Mine has yellow brass bell, ML bore, standard leadpipe, silver finish.

I can't compare it to its predecessor model. I played many brands when I was searching and narrowed it down to this that I got, along with an XO Brass (Jupiter) 1602s and a new Bach Strad 18037. Before the Xeno, I'd been playing a Shires Model A, and a Bach Strad 18037 for many years before that.

The 8335II is a very adaptable instrument, easy to play and fit into many styles. My only advice, should you get one, is don't try to play it the same way you play your previous horn. Get to know the new instrument on its own terms and learn to play it the way it wants to be played. For example, it doesn't need as much manipulation to play in tune as some other trumpets, and it projects really well so you may not have to push as hard to get the sound and presence you want.

Here's a blog post by Chase Sanborn with his notes on the different versions of the 8335II. I played a few of these while shopping and agree with what he wrote.
Piccolo Stomvi
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other comments people want to add?
Vince.Green
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the Xenos have been solid horns. The Xeno II's definitely respond faster and have more color and flexibility to the sound. The earlier models are well in tune and even but feel stiff and a bit vanilla in comparison (to me anyway). Nice horns, worth a try. Good luck.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke with Wayne Tanabe about this when he was in Tampa for a clinic.
I asked him what parts had changed and he replied that all of them had changed except for one part which I can't recall, maybe the #2 slide? He said that they took what they learned developing the 9K series and incorporated into the GenII designs.
trumpet_cop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ quote="O.ldSchoolEuph"]I have been unhappy with the II horns generally - and I'm thinking more of low brass than high, but in general it always seems to be the same story of reduced fabrication steps, reduced taper, etc. Have you noticed how many top guys play the original Chicago C but not the IIs, while on EBay you never see an original for sale, but lots of CHSIIs? My 8335 is an original, and while I have not tried the II version, I think based on other examples I am lucky to have mine.[/quote]

I know lots of pros who have switched from the gen 1 to gen 2....

Also if you're more unhappy with gen 2 low brass than high brass, why come on here to blast them?

The gen 2 8335 stacks up quite well against Bach 190-37 and artisan. Unless you really need a 9335II, I think you'll be quite happy with an 8335II.
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the playability similar, but the tone color on the II is more rich and interesting. This is comparing the regular models, no reverse slides or cities.
nowave
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 8335 II is on my “someday” list. A year or so ago I spent an afternoon trying tons of horns at Dillon and this was one of my favorites by far. Great response, flexible sound... hmm, now I want to pick one up!
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowave wrote:
The 8335 II is on my “someday” list. A year or so ago I spent an afternoon trying tons of horns at Dillon and this was one of my favorites by far. Great response, flexible sound... hmm, now I want to pick one up!

Great to know! I'm excited to own one!

Anyone know any pro that play on one? Particularly classical musicians and whom have recordings of them playing on their Xeno II?
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowave wrote:
A year or so ago I spent an afternoon trying tons of horns at Dillon and this was one of my favorites by far. Great response, flexible sound...
Was there last week and completely agree! Tried a bunch of them...
Very consistent from horn to horn which is an improvement from first gen.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamahaguy wrote:
nowave wrote:
A year or so ago I spent an afternoon trying tons of horns at Dillon and this was one of my favorites by far. Great response, flexible sound...
Was there last week and completely agree! Tried a bunch of them...
Very consistent from horn to horn which is an improvement from first gen.

Great to know - thanks!
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
nowave wrote:

Great to know! I'm excited to own one!

Anyone know any pro that play on one? Particularly classical musicians and whom have recordings of them playing on their Xeno II?

I´ve tested some Xenos finding them a bit too bright (not that "noble"), and lately a LA model but then I came across the brand new Yamaha 6335RC and man what a horn!
You should try one, if they already have travelled the pond (made in Europe). I´m so excited about this horn, it´s delightful to play, easy to blow, but with that precise amount of resistance. Never knew a horn could make that difference! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1jG23MC5gA

Yes I know this is personal but but!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second generation Xenos are excellent. Yamaha is one of the only makers of instruments that put a lot of R&D into their products, constantly improving them. This is also a capitalist strategy to sell more stuff and that's OK. Japan shines like a diamond in a goat's rear end among the other asian manufacturers (most notably China) that produce a lot of low quality garbage. You can't do much better than Japanese cars-- Toyota, Honda, etc. I wear an outstanding Seiko wristwatch. The Japanese make great stuff. That's not to say there are other excellent trumpets and watches out there but just giving credit where credit is due.
Yamaha 8315G flugel/ Reeves 42F
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Bradley wrote:
... This is also a capitalist strategy to sell more stuff and that's OK.

Oh, man. Thankfully this isn't Reddit or you would have been mobbed for that vaguely non-anti-capitalist statement.

I like Yamaha's approach of passing improvements down the line. Their lower range instruments see a lot more revamps and improvements than any other maker I'm aware of. I think that's great!
Orban

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Seymor B Fudd,

Thank you for the info regarding the Yam 6335rc.
I have a lot of interest, i am in the run for a new trumpet.
Any comparison with other known quality trumpets is welcome.

Thanks.
Orban - Flanders.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: