• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rotary Trumpet: Getting Started

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Irving,

What model of yamaha's would you recommend/have had experience with?
I saw a few ytr-360's, but have seen mixed reviews on those horns.

I understand the 2000+ on a used horn, but I'm not sure that spending 3000+ on a new horns makes sense to me. Based on what I want to accomplish as a trumpet player. Neither is buying used or new from Europe, right now.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 946 gs which is in C. I don't have any experience with Bb Yammies. As far as prices go on new European rotarys, I don't think 3000€ will get you a top of the line horn, which may or may not be better than a Yamaha. Then it's a matter of preference. If you are playing in the Vienna Phil, you'd need to get a Lechner, but if you're playing in your basement then the requirements aren't as stringent. Where I work the orchestra has a pair of Schagerls but I never got on with them so I use the Yamaha.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should just call Trent Austin or Baltimore Brass or Thompson Music or Dillon Music or ... to find out if they can give you practical directions into what you are looking for? I have only dealt with Dillon so far and those are fine folks to work with.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose,

Thanks for the suggestions. I am looking into exploring the realm of rotary trumpets, but I am not entirely ready to buy just yet. I wanted to hear peoples thoughts on rotary. I do have an idea of what I may end up going with, but certainly interested to learn more or perhaps be introduced to other options that I am not have even thought of.
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone with experience with Ganter G7a, monke rotaries or kanstul?
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an old Monke Bb. Great sound, but very stuffy blow. It didn't matter what mouthpiece I used. It blew like there was something stuck inside the horn. Don't buy one without playing it first.
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irving,

I've seen similar comments about monke horns on other posts, does anyone else have the same experience with monke, or would care to share their thoughts on these horns?

Anyone play Dowids or Ganter up in here and care to comment on these? Interested to know if anyone in SoCal is look to unload on a sidewinder?
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone speak to Ganter or Dowids horns?
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just attend TMEA convention where Thein came and had a few models to play. They had a heavy and light Rotaries on the table to try. Amazing horns. I only play on a few at ITG last year and a Schagerl(sp?) a few years back so I don't have a long list of experience of playing or performing on rotaries but this Thein was a sound of beauty.
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMEA sounds like fun and the Thein sound like amazing horns. Thanks for sharing.
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Ganter Rotary Trumpet Reply with quote

I started this post to get some inside scoop into the world of rotary trumpets. I was pleased to read some of the commentary made here. After patiently waiting in the shadows I finally decided to pull the trigger on a Ganter G7a which I found in the states through the TH market place. It arrived this week and I have been very happy with it.

For those of you who rotor, what mpc has worked best for you? I currently use a bach 1 1/2c for my Bb and C. I'll most likely use the same mpc for the rotary right now. I have seen some use a yamaha 15E4 or 16E4, blesmair G series, JK "exclusive" mpc, etc. I recognize that I need to establish a concept of sound before I go on a safari hunt.

Last edited by DJtpt31 on Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a Apredato 'Hans Gansch' mouthpiece from Schargel in Austria. I use this mouthpiece with all my trumpets whether rotary or piston except for the piccolo.
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a professional here so keep that in mind. I didn’t think that much of the Yamaha 15e4 myself. Maybe I’ll post it for sale.

Roger Zachs, who is a European professional, said that the Curry BC series was created with lots of input from him and that he mostly plays rotary. I liked the Curry 3BC as good as any I tried. If you have or can find a Curry 1.5 BC, perhaps try that first. They are much cheaper and easier to find than the European pieces.

— Joe
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 15E4 and 16E4 were two of the many mpcs users have expressed using with their rotary. I would be curious to test out the Curry mpcs. Josef Klier is one that I am interested in try, though, I need to find a dealer in California.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try something a little deeper or more V shaped as far as the cup goes. I play a Curry 7TC and this does the trick. The contrast between my rotary and my Bach really is quite remarkable soundwise and this is also due to mouthpiece choice.

Klier also makes fine mouthpieces for little money I just never got along too well with their Exclusive series on trumpet. I like them for flugel, though.

The GR FD mouthpiece I also have works well with the Bach but much less so with my rotary.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know. I'll be sure to see what Curry has with respect to a rim feel similar to my 1.5 with a deeper or v-shape cup. I've read that some have found success with a more open throat and using a different backbore like a 24. I must admit I am ignorant to the number value for bach backbores. I know the 10 is standard on most one-pieces and I own a 76 backbore for my picc. Outside of that... no clue. Was using a bach 3c earlier, however when put my 1.5c in the horn, there was a noticeable difference... a good noticeable difference.
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a 1BC with a special backbore that I got from a big time pro here in the states and it was still too zippy. I have also tested out a JK and Brino Tilz, but settled on a Breslmair. PM me if youd like all the details.
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJtpt31 wrote:
Good to know. I'll be sure to see what Curry has with respect to a rim feel similar to my 1.5 with a deeper or v-shape cup. I've read that some have found success with a more open throat and using a different backbore like a 24.

The Curry BC series have Bach C-like rims on B-like cups with a 24 throat and a 24 backbore, I believe (maybe the backbore is a Curry hybrid).

I don’t have the strength to adequately play a deep V mouthpiece myself.

— Joe
deleted_user_48e5f31

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by dfcoleman

Last edited by deleted_user_48e5f31 on Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Rotary Reply with quote

dfcoleman wrote:
When first starting out on rotary trumpet, I suggest a mouthpiece with the same rim that one uses on piston trumpet. Go with a bit deeper cup and perhaps bit more open throat, and see how that works.

Example: if you normally play a mouthpiece that’s around a Bach 3c in size with a 26 throat, try something that’s around a 3b with a 24 throat. You can always open the throat more later if that’s desirable.

Thanks! Definitely would like to stay close to the same rim size. The consensus seems to seek out a deeper cup and/or perhaps a more open throat.

dfcoleman wrote:

Get used to the different feel and sound of the rotary, then make a final decision on the mouthpiece.

Right. I would first need to get comfortable with the sound of the rotary, before experimenting with different pieces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: