• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Graduate programs advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jafetdiazdj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Graduate programs advice Reply with quote

Hi, im looking for graduate programs in USA or other countries. Im Panamanian but here we dont have here Graduate programs for the instrument.

I would like to know about the process of applying for foreigners, recommendations from schools or teachers. I am in my last year of trumpet degree and I would like to continue specializing in my instrument.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there will be more answers pertinent to this question, but as an alternate, have you tried European schools? Many will be free or at a reduced price. Berlin, Frankfurt, Amsterdam are all good alternatives.

The degrees may not be Master as opposed to Artist but they may do the same thing, depending on your needs.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
derekthor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m a Canadian who did a masters in the US. One of the things you’ll need in order to be allowed to study in America is proof that you’ll be able to support yourself financially for an entire year. This is because you won’t be allowed to work off campus at all in your first year of studies and only with government permission after that - and even then with the limitations of no more than 20 hours/week and it must be related to your field of study. You might find some gigs that don’t require any paperwork from you but certainly not enough to help you cover your expenses. You could be the second coming of Bud Herseth, but without the proper documents you won’t be able to do much.

If you can get a good scholarship/assistantship then by all means go for it. Student loans suck pretty hard, and because you’re not a US resident you’ll most likely be paying vastly greater tuition.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You asked for recommendations for schools and teachers. It would help if you tell us what you would like to specialize in. Classical? Jazz? Something else?
jafetdiazdj

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I'm sure there will be more answers pertinent to this question, but as an alternate, have you tried European schools? Many will be free or at a reduced price. Berlin, Frankfurt, Amsterdam are all good alternatives.

The degrees may not be Master as opposed to Artist but they may do the same thing, depending on your needs.

Thanks for the answer, can you tell me some European Schools?
jafetdiazdj

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry wrote:
You asked for recommendations for schools and teachers. It would help if you tell us what you would like to specialize in. Classical? Jazz? Something else?

Classical
jafetdiazdj

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

derekthor wrote:
I’m a Canadian who did a masters in the US. One of the things you’ll need in order to be allowed to study in America is proof that you’ll be able to support yourself financially for an entire year. This is because you won’t be allowed to work off campus at all in your first year of studies and only with government permission after that - and even then with the limitations of no more than 20 hours/week and it must be related to your field of study. You might find some gigs that don’t require any paperwork from you but certainly not enough to help you cover your expenses. You could be the second coming of Bud Herseth, but without the proper documents you won’t be able to do much.

If you can get a good scholarship/assistantship then by all means go for it. Student loans suck pretty hard, and because you’re not a US resident you’ll most likely be paying vastly greater tuition.

Wow thanks. Anybody tell me about that.
William. J

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some others have already spoke about the boundary of getting into Graduate School in the U.S., so I'll try to elaborate a little on the process of finding a school that fits you.

You mentioned in an earlier post that you was an Ted to study classical trumpet. You've already narrowed your choices down a little bit so that is good. The NEXT STEP is to research the professors at different university's and the courses they offer. Sure, going to a big school like IU, UNT, FSU sounds nice, but if you and the professor dont vibe with each other, your gonna have a bad time

You can start your search at all the bug name schools, but dont be afraid to go to a smaller music school that might be good, yet inexpensive. I know at my school we are not hugely big, yet we have a Nigerian performance major who plays pretty damn. Well
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: