• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

It just doesn’t sound good!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: It just doesn’t sound good! Reply with quote

I’m so annoyed at this little solo! I have the melody for only 5 or 6 measures in “13 days of Christmas.” It is a very simple lick, but I can’t make it sound nice for the life of me. I’ve recorded myself, practiced it, and littered to it. I figured the folks at TH May have some tips!

Thanks
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What’s the lick, and what don’t you like about how you sound?

Brad
Eliot
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: It just doesn’t sound good! Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
I’m so annoyed at this little solo! I have the melody for only 5 or 6 measures in “13 days of Christmas.” It is a very simple lick, but I can’t make it sound nice for the life of me. I’ve recorded myself, practiced it, and littered to it. I figured the folks at TH May have some tips!
Thanks

Just wondering where you are practising. What kind of acoustics does the room have? Try practising in a room that is to some degree, "alive" rather than sound "dead." One of my teachers used to suggest the bathroom!

If unable to find an "alive" room try a cup mute. I have four, two cheap and "nasty," one of which is aluminium, one Vincent Bach (plastic) and one Hume & Berg stonelined, my favorite. The aluminium mute provides a metallic sound, the Hume & Berg, a nice muted mellow sound. For me, the thing with the cup mute is that it reflect much of the sound back to the player.

BTW, my comments are made understanding that you are reading the music correctly. Nothing like missing accidentals and failing to read key signatures correctly. Both of which provide for "interesting" listening! ('')
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming that you listened to the piece, as in a recording of someone else playing, not just your own attempts? If not, go listen to a recording of the piece. And play like that.

In other words, COPY a great (or good, or even mediocre) player who is playing better than you are.

So many of my students are fearful of copying early on in their time with me. I am now very clear about this. copy. Copy like crazy. (If only I could ape Maurice Andre to perfection ALL the time!)

cheers

Andy
Lilclaw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, CJceltics33. Maybe I can help you.

Can you make a YouTube video of the solo? Could you also provide a PDF or link to the solo you're trying to play?

I will respond with my interpretation (via YouTube) on how to play it.
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
I'm assuming that you listened to the piece, as in a recording of someone else playing, not just your own attempts? If not, go listen to a recording of the piece. And play like that.

In other words, COPY a great (or good, or even mediocre) player who is playing better than you are.

So many of my students are fearful of copying early on in their time with me. I am now very clear about this. copy. Copy like crazy. (If only I could ape Maurice Andre to perfection ALL the time!)

cheers

Andy

I am in total agreement that you should listen hard and attempt to imitate. Its a vital skill and can only be beneficial to your playing. Do listen to Andy's advice as he is an intelligent and well established teacher.

However, I take exception to the last sentence ('if only I could ape Maurice Andre to perfection ALL the time!'). The purpose of imitation is to better understand the musical choices and timbres a player has made, as well as developing our own ability to produce similar colours and musical ideas. The more we imitate, the more freedom it gives us to play exactly as we want (hopefully it helps us get away from any limitations that meant playing a passage in one particular manner). The purpose of imitation is not to sound solely like one player; no one can ever sound as good as the original and the beauty of music is individual expression and independent thinking, otherwise we might as well cancel all performances of Haydn's trumpet concerto and play a recording of Maurice Andre instead, that would be the guaranteed best way to replicate Maurice Andre....

If your phrase is well-recorded, my advice would be to dig out as many recordings as you can and study the different approaches to it on each one. Then practice playing it in each way, so you end up with 5 or 10 varied approaches. By the end of that process you will be well prepared to tell your own musical story, combining your favourite elements from each recording you have studied.

I may get some grief for making this final point, and I have said it before, but (to CJceltics) I see you pop up asking fairly 'young' questions like the above, which is absolutely great and shows enthusiasm and curiosity to improve your playing. What doesn't sit right with me, though, is seeing you appear elsewhere on these forums answering other beginner questions with strong definitive statements as if you were an experienced teacher or player. Just be careful not to get ahead of yourself.

All the best
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the replies thus far. The only recordings of this specific arrangement are a high school band and a community band, so listening was not something I first thought of. Now I think I will just try to find any recording in which a trumpet plays that melody and try to imitate it. It is the main melody in 13 days of Christmas, by the way.

I find that specific solo difficult because I cannot really hear in my head how it should go. Again, this will be solved by a good recording.

To LSO—About this time last year is when I first started to figure out what I was doing. I developed a good practice routine and worked diligently each day. I have missed probably 15 or less days since then, with the majority planned. But this of course proves nothing. My point is that I have made thousands upon thousands of mistakes in that time, in those daily hours, and little by little I have become aware of them and fixed them. Something I have read off of TH or something I hear from my band director and private teacher (both of whom I am very lucky to have) is not something I would post. What I post, when I answer a question definitively, it is because I once had the same question. I was had trouble with what the poster had trouble with, and through thousands of mistakes and thoughtful hours I got better at it and made progress on that issue. If someone were to post about how to begin double tonguing, I would tell them start slow. I would tell them what I did, and what I wish I had done. Maybe since I went through that hurtle less than a year ago it gives me a unique perspective a pro player does not have. But I do not, and I will never pretend I am providing better advice than a professional could. I am not even close to that level. If someone were to post about the Claude Gordon routine, or endurance troubles, or their double A not slotting, I would not touch those posts, except maybe to ask a further question.

If I have stepped out of place answering certain posts I apologize. I know I will never give to this website as much as I have gained from it.

CJ
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can copy Maurice André for his tone, his musicality, his mastery, while playing with our own tone, musicality, and search of mastery.
We must be inspired, i think that's the spirit of Andy's words.

best
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33, based on your posts it sounds like you are in high school, and I have a few thoughts regarding your playing and the solo based on that.

For one, high school kids don't often sound like polished pro players. I realize that this is what you aspire to sound like, but the fact is, you'll have to do some serious work toward improving all aspects of playing - chiefly your technique - and none of it is going to come quickly or easily, although it is possible to put together some fairly long strides.

The development of technique is VERY important at this stage because you're probably coming to a point where your musical maturity is starting to outpace your technique, so you aren't sounding quite like you think you should. That's not necessarily a bad thing though because if you recognize it, that's the first step toward improving it.

At this point, take stock of where you are. If you can, record yourself playing some things (it sounds like you are already doing this) and then listen to those recordings a lot, not only to identify what you feel to be deficiencies, but also to identify the things you are doing well. For example, you might have a good sound, but your articulation is sloppy. Or, you have decent articulation, but your time/tempo needs improvement.

The important thing is to start to work to reinforce the good and improve upon the deficiencies. Many high school kids, myself included back in the day, tend to shy away from the things they don't do so well, and they play the things they feel they sound good on. This is natural, but the best way to improve is to tackle the difficult things head-on. The ONLY way to improve those things is through dedicated, focused practice - there are no shortcuts.

I realize that most of what I'm telling you here isn't going to help much between now and the time you have to perform this solo. For the solo, just do the best you can - WORK on it. Take it apart phrase by phrase if you have to. You'd be amazed how much you can learn and how quickly it can be learned if you take a systematic approach to it. Figure out WHY you don't think it sounds good. Once you know and have identified whatever it is that you believe is preventing it from sounding good, then systematically tackle those things to improve it.

Repetition is key. There's an old saying that has been bandied about here on the forum ---

--- "Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Good luck!
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP

Last edited by trickg on Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJ - While I appreciate the demonstration of humility in your post complete with the apology for possibly stepping out of place, please keep in mind that trumpet playing and humility just don't pair up well.

OK, I am just kidding, but I do appreciate your honesty.

There is lot of good advice here. I suggest you try to sing the solo in your spare time away form the horn. If there are no words, make some up. Find some feeling in those words and then have them in your head when you play. There is , frankly, not a lot of hope for turning a mediocre composition into something elegant. Relax and do the best you can, because, when it's over, you are the only one who will remember how it turned out. And if you are lucky, you'll never have to play it again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: