• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mellophone Player

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Mellophone Player Reply with quote

Until now, I had never heard of this guy. Cool stuff. Enjoy.

Link

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Rene Janisse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Mellophone awesome Reply with quote

That was a great video, I have an old mellophone but it's shaped more like a french horn. I believe it's in Eb, I can configure it so it plays in F. Maybe, I should straighten the bell. However, the horn on the video looks very strange.
The guy playing is great, if you have ever played a mellophone, it's not an easy instrument to play in tune let alone not to break the notes.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Mellophomium Reply with quote

The Conn 16E Mellophonium was in the forefront of the Stan Kenton band from the late fifties to the final tour of Great Britain in 1963. This video appears to be a British band with perhaps Jimmy Deucher soloing. I apologize for the spelling here.

He was one of the few guys in England who played that horn with success and of course, Ray Starling was the main soloist with Kenton until I inherited the job when Ray decided to stay in NYC.

The video shown here has the horn in F and believe me when I tell you, they are difficult to play in tune. I never tried the Eb slides but have been told intonation was a bit better in Eb.

Kenton wanted them in F as previous bands he led had proper French horns and he and Johnny Richards felt the Mellophoniums should be written for in F and when the section visited Reynold Schilke for mouthpiece help, what he came up with really helped.

Three of us were trumpet players and Schilke put our rims on a Farkus cup with the cornet shank to fit the Conn. Not sure what backbone he used but life became much easier after that.

I currently have two Conn 16E's and a new version from Amati which is similar in design to the Conn but perhaps a smaller bore. The Amati plays in tune throughout the range and I might be selling my Conns. I never liked fingering A above the staff with one and three anyway.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

Last edited by Tony Scodwell on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, could you break your post down into workable paragraphs? It would help those of us who don't see so well organize and read better. Thanks.

ref Mellophones, is the OP posting that anonymously or do you know the Mellophone player's name?

BTW, I used to have one of those things. Mine was in Bb.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm less familiar with the pictured mellophonium (nice vid, thx for sharing). But I am a big fan of the mellophone, at least I am of this particular recording.
https://youtu.be/_qKkQq13OSM
Note that this is a herd of mellophones with some kind of mute.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the notes from the recording regarding the section:

Quote:
The Tubby Hayes Big Band:- Jimmy Deuchar, trumpet, mellophone; Ian Hamer, Les Condon, trumpet;

I play a King Bb mellophone and wrestling that bugger is a real job in a jazz setting. The right mouthpiece helps. My goal is to sound like a trombone as that's the role I have in the band. The slipperiness does make the shakes and jazz effects easier.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
ohnecael

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Here's the notes from the recording regarding the section:

Quote:
The Tubby Hayes Big Band:- Jimmy Deuchar, trumpet, mellophone; Ian Hamer, Les Condon, trumpet;

I play a King Bb mellophone and wrestling that bugger is a real job in a jazz setting. The right mouthpiece helps. My goal is to sound like a trombone as that's the role I have in the band. The slipperiness does make the shakes and jazz effects easier.

King mellophones are an absolute chore to play, the stock mothpiece is better used as a paperweight than an apparatus to make music. The partials on that horn are very difficult to acclimate to and almost ruined my playing for a good week.

Yamaha makes way better horns by a landslide but most of my experience with both comes in a marching setting rather than a jazz setting which i have yet to actually see live and would love to try sometime.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
King mellophones are an absolute chore to play, the stock mothpiece is better used as a paperweight than an apparatus to make music. The partials on that horn are very difficult to acclimate to and almost ruined my playing for a good week.

My mellophone uses french horn mouthpieces, so it's an easy switch. Fingerings are the same as the Bb side of my usual horn. I found the mello likes a french horn mouthpiece with a smaller bore than the one I use for my horn (17 vs. 8 drill).

The mellophone player for Dirty Catfish Brass Band probably agrees with you. I've noticed he switched from the King to the Yamaha. Interesting comments on Al's Mellophone Page about them:

http://www.alsmiddlebrasspages.com/mellophone/myhorns.html

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since only Tony addressed it specifically, the original vid is of a mellophonium which differs a good bit from a mellophone.
Halfway down the Wikipedia page, they discuss it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mellophone
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a couple of years back in the mid 70's at Housatonic Community College in Bridgeport Ct. HCC had a very fine music program back then. Sonny Costanzo was the dept. head. Sonny was a very fine trombonist and spent time with Woody Herman, Thad and Mel's band and Clark Terry's big band. Sonny would bring in a lot of well known people in the jazz world to either perform, sit in with the jazz band or teach. Ernie Wilkins taught sax, Rick Petrone taught bass, Bob Zotolla taught trumpet.
Sonny brought Don Elliot and his group in for a concert. I remember thinking it was going to be corny but when Don started playing the mellophone, I quickly changed my attitude. I learned to judge the musician and not the instrument. Don was a beast on the horn.
Sonny brought in Many other really good people to perform. Bucky Pizzarelli, Clark Terry, New York Mary, Ed Soph and Danny Stiles come to mind. I believe Don Elliot produced one of New York Mary's recordings.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the like button for the post above? What a great experience.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
coraltrpt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had never heard of Don Elliott - what a cool sound. What kind of mellophone did he play on? It looks interesting.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coraltrpt wrote:
I had never heard of Don Elliott - what a cool sound. What kind of mellophone did he play on? It looks interesting.

Here's a really cool article about Don:

http://www.middlehornleader.com/Don%20Elliott.htm

The mellophone was a Conn that he had made for him.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just an amateur hack, so grain of salt, etc. I have a 16E and it has an Eb crook, to lower it a step from F. I find it plays more in tune in F, but either way, there are no dynamic slide adjusters, so to play in tune means blowing it up or down as needed. It never fails to please the crowd (obviously they have great taste) when I bring it to a jam, but I imagine playing in a section full would be quite exasperating.
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Where's the like button for the post above? What a great experience.

Thank you. It was a great experience. I'm still friends with three of the people I knew at HCC. We still get together and often remark how lucky we were. One name I forgot to mention was Jimmy Heath. Jimmy came down and played a concert with his quartet. A very cool guy by the way.
Sonny Costanzo was so connected and had worked with all these great people. Sonny was playing lead trombone with Clark Terry's Big Band at the time. He brought Clark's small group in for a concert one afternoon. Ernie Wilkins wrote many of Clark's big band arrangements and we had them in our jazz ensemble book, Everyone from the jazz ensemble was in the audience and Sonny asked Clark if we could do a couple of numbers with him since we had our instruments. Clark was more than happy to let us play a few selections with him. Clark was one of the best to ever pick up a horn, he was an even better guy.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veery715 wrote:
I'm just an amateur hack, so grain of salt, etc. I have a 16E and it has an Eb crook, to lower it a step from F. I find it plays more in tune in F, but either way, there are no dynamic slide adjusters, so to play in tune means blowing it up or down as needed. It never fails to please the crowd (obviously they have great taste) when I bring it to a jam, but I imagine playing in a section full would be quite exasperating.

The experience of playing and tuning french horn can help. On a double horn, every valve slide on both sides is tuned as well as the main tuning slide. On my Bb marching french horn, AKA mellophone, the third valve slide is always pulled way out as is the main tuning slide. Plus you get to know which fingerings and which notes still need adjustments.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: