• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Roger Ingram "Showtone" Mute

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tromba2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:03 am    Post subject: Roger Ingram "Showtone" Mute Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the Showtone Mute put out by Warburton?
I'm curious to know how this compares to the original Shastock solotone.

How do the Broadway players feel about the Showtone? Do you use them or is the Shastock still the go-to mute?
Thanks
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one in my bag of mutes.. an awesome "solotone" mute. Much better that the red & white Stonelined/H&B mute.
I don't have a Shastock Solotone to compare it with, but I imagine that it's pretty close.

It has an "old school" type sound, plays easily, pitch & tuning are solid, it's light-weight and doesn't fall out.

I'm not a Broadway player, but am currently playing a production of The Addams Family - the Mute Meister is on my rack - sounds great.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one, and it is far superior to what is currently on offer from H&B. However, it is notably more expensive than and does not out perform the other solo tone mute I've had in my arsenal, the German-made Emo Solotone ($45 at HornTrader, among other places). Their sounds are different, their pluses and minuses are different, and neither is completely passable for a perfect-condition/brilliantly-restored vintage model - I have been looking out for a used Walt Johnson (no longer made) "Gatsby" mute after thoroughly enjoying his "Miles" (harmon) model.

At the end of the day, it's a SOLO tone, so use what you like in terms of playability, sound, and pitch...in that order (in my opinion). Since I opened the door in comparing the Emo and Showtone mutes, I do find myself using the former just a tad more often than the latter. I think they're about equal in terms of playability, but the Emo - perhaps due to its construction and materials - has a slight edge in sound. They're both similar in playability and intonation, again (for me) with the Emo outplaying the Warburton/Ingram ever so slightly. For big band and show use, I do find that the Emo doesn't 'cut' quite was easily as the Showtone, so when I need to project (I'm thinking about a few solos in shows like Seussical, or big band moments where everything is cooking), that's when I reach for the Showtone.

Happy practicing!
-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Picc;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: