• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Holst Second Suite for Brass Quintet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tubbs831
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Holst Second Suite for Brass Quintet Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with the Holst Second Suite arrangement for brass quintet? There seem to be two arrangements available for sale, one by Jerry Nowak and the other by David Sabourin. I am not too familiar with either one's other arrangements. I am thinking of buying one to use the second movement for an upcoming memorial service. The deceased was a Holst fan. We'll be doing the Jupiter chorale and figured Song Without Words would also work well. If anyone can help me out with which arrangement to go with I would appreciate it.

Thank you!

Adam
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played the Sabourin arrangement and it works jus fine. Go with that I say.

cheers

Andy
tubbs831
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Andy!
hup_d_dup
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trumpet parts for the second movement are quite different on these two arrangements.

On the Nowak the first trumpet plays the melody during the first half, and then plays accompanying arpeggios that top out on B's and a C during the second half.

In the Sabourin arrangement the 1st trumpet plays half note accompaniment in the first half and melody in the second half.

The Nowak arrangement has the second trumpet playing half notes in the first half and melody in the second half. The Sabourin has the second trumpet playing half notes in the first half and a simple obbligato part in the second half.

Both arrangements are good, but the Nowak has a much more expressive and challenging part (for trumpet) in the second movement than the Sabourin.

The Nowak is typeset and the Sabourin is professionally hand-written. The Nowak comes with a full score. I don't have a score for the Sabourin, but I can't remember if it didn't come with one or if I lost it at sometime.

Hup
tubbs831
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much. That information is very helpful
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a score for the Sabourin, we all had a copy at rehearsals to refer to.

From memory (of 20 years ago) the 2nd movement moving parts are with the horn, allowing for a closer sound to the brass band version... again from a long distant memory.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: