• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Contrasting Yamaha Xenos and Shews.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Contrasting Yamaha Xenos and Shews. Reply with quote

Can anybody contrast the Yamaha Shew trumpets with the new Xeno?
Also, is there a noticeable difference in weight? Thank you.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
onlyson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shew is a great horn. There is nothing quite like it in my experience. It does blow a bit tight though and that could be an issue. But it sounds fantastic in a jazz setting. Lead players will cut through the mix and sit perfectly above the section. Soloists will sound rich and classic in both a big band or small group setting. If the blow doesn't suit you, try the 8335LA Bergeron model. It has the same bell and sounds very similar. I played a 6310Z for 12 years and switched to the LA and have never looked back.

The Shew is a light horn. Lighter than the Xeno's.

The Xeno's are nice horns. A lot more Bach-like than the Z and LA. I owned a couple for a time. A standard silver plated with yellow brass bell, and a lacquered version with gold brass bell. Good horns but not really special to me. I did own a 9335NY and a 9335CH at another time and they were much more to my liking. Very solid and very consistent. But not up to the level of a really good Bach to my ears. Thus I play a 1971 Bach 25 large bore now. However, both those horns were Generation I, and I did test drive a Gen. II Chicago a few years ago and it made a big impression. The price tag scared me off though. Even so I've been thinking lately about taking one out for a spin again.

Good luck in your search!
1951 Martin Committee Deluxe #3 Bore
ACB Coppernicus
Couesnon Flugel
Carol Pocket Trumpet
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onlyson - is the Shew's "tightness" like that of a Committee or Connstellation and the Bergeron more conventional, like a Bach, Schilke, Bange or the like?

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
onlyson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Tight blow like a #2 bore Committee. Maybe tighter. Definitely have to play relaxed and not over blow. The Bergeron feels very standard to me like a Bach. Some guys have complained here it is too open and leaves them gassed near the end of their gigs. My gigs are not quite like that so I wouldn't know.
1951 Martin Committee Deluxe #3 Bore
ACB Coppernicus
Couesnon Flugel
Carol Pocket Trumpet
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
i'm playing a 6310 since 2001, and like i wrote in other threads, started to have issues such as too much resistance, loss of accuracy, strange slotting in the high register for the last 6 months.

i tried 1 month ago the 8310Z new prototype, and it was way way better and easier (the regular 8310Z is said to be more free-blowing with more feedback while projecting better too).
Then when Bobby came here, he tweaked my 6310Z that, since then, is a complete brand new powerful free-blowing and rich sounding horn.
So, for free-blowing, when you've been able to chose a good 6310 or 8310 that fits you lets say at 80%, a Bobby's tweaking will free and cure everything else.

best
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Netherlands the 6310Z is both used by professional jazz and classical trumpet players so this must be a great horn
However, if you don't like the sound that this horn generates (a dark warms sound due the 72ish bell) maybe it's interesting to make a test drive on a Xeno model since the Xeno's carry a bell with a fast taper so the sound will be more in direction like a Bach 180/37

I owned both the 6310Z as the 8310Z and despite the latter is way more expensive I preferred the 6310Z
I didn't notice any tightness in the blow in both the Z-horns, quite similar to my former Vincent Bach 180/37

Since I discovered that I actually dislike warm dark sounding trumpets I replaced the Z-horns for a Conn 'Victor' 22B. This horn shares the bore size but has a nice bright brassy sound, the sound that I prefer

If a horn generates the sound that you prefer she is easier to play simply because you don't have to fight with the horn to make it sound like you like

If you are looking for a great trumpet that plays like a dream you should try out Getzen horns. They make bright sounding horns http://www.getzen.com/trumpet/bbcustom/3050.shtml as well as warm sounding instruments http://www.getzen.com/trumpet/bbcustom/3051.shtml
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm not looking for a bright sound, rather a darker sound. Most horns I've heard with that have been heavier horns and, due to my physical condition, I can only play heavy horns for any length of time, or I'd just keep my Connstellation (which, BTW, is up for sale) and which plays well.

I have a Committee in tip-top condition. Any advantage of getting a Shew over ceeping the Martin?

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin Commettees I am not familiar with but if you are looking for an easy to play trumpet with a warm dark sound you really should give the 6310z a try.
They don't cost an eye, they are sensitive for red rot but hey, so is the Martin Committee so nothing to worry about

Chet Baker played Connstellations but he never liked them: He complained that they take too much air, well, the 6310z is the opposite!

Hope this helps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: