• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Protec?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: New Protec? Reply with quote

Anyone tried one of these?

https://www.protecstyle.com/product/single-double-triple-horn-zip-case-black/

Brad
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arturo Sandoval apparently endorses them now as there is a video on Youtube with him showing off his new blue one. I was tempted during the holiday shopping as I was looking to get a new multi but decided to stick with my Torpedo Coyote and just add a Peacemaker to the mix.

One reason i did not go for it personally was the music pouch that I would of used to store my Surface Pro laptop was on the bottom of the case and when laying it flat down in the trunk of a car would just sit right on the computer or tablet.
bixtone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it an like it a lot, with some reservations. I have back issues which prevent me from using my Coyote -- way too heavy. I had been using the Gard rolling triple but had issues flying with it -- the Gard is too long to fit wheels-out in the overhead bin, which has been a problem sometimes. The Protec is about 3 inches shorter. It is basically a thin polycarbonate rolling suitcase with padding and dividers inside for the horns. The sides flex and are not rigid like a Walt Johnson.

The padding is typical Protec - not very dense foam with velvet cloth around it. There is also a thin layer of foam around the inside edges of the case covered with a Velcro type fabric that the pads and dividers attach to. I basically gutted the interior and replaced all the low density foam around the edges with high density quality foam., reusing the Velcro cloth. I then built my own custom foam pads from high density foam and upholstered them with Velcro cloth to fit my horn exactly. This was pretty easy to do and looks very nice. The resulting case weighs about 7 pounds without horn, music and mutes.

The hardware is pretty good quality but not super heavy duty like a Torpedo.
I would not feel great about checking this case but would gate check it in a pinch. I think for the price it's a good deal, especially if you're willing to invest some time tweaking it.
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one for the shop to check out and potentially carry.

Flimsy ABS plastic and terrible padding. I would never put any horns of value in there. One drop and you're off to the repair shop.

-T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrentAustin wrote:

Flimsy ABS plastic and terrible padding. I would never put any horns of value in there. One drop and you're off to the repair shop.

-T

Wow, thanks, you saved me from trying one. The plastic DID look sort of flimsy in the Arturo video.

Brad
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bixtone wrote:
I have it an like it a lot, with some reservations. I have back issues which prevent me from using my Coyote -- way too heavy. I had been using the Gard rolling triple but had issues flying with it -- the Gard is too long to fit wheels-out in the overhead bin, which has been a problem sometimes. The Protec is about 3 inches shorter. It is basically a thin polycarbonate rolling suitcase with padding and dividers inside for the horns. The sides flex and are not rigid like a Walt Johnson.

The padding is typical Protec - not very dense foam with velvet cloth around it. There is also a thin layer of foam around the inside edges of the case covered with a Velcro type fabric that the pads and dividers attach to. I basically gutted the interior and replaced all the low density foam around the edges with high density quality foam., reusing the Velcro cloth. I then built my own custom foam pads from high density foam and upholstered them with Velcro cloth to fit my horn exactly. This was pretty easy to do and looks very nice. The resulting case weighs about 7 pounds without horn, music and mutes.

I would not feel great about checking this case but would gate check it in a pinch. I think for the price it's a good deal, especially if you're willing to invest some time tweaking it.

Where did you get velcro cloth from? I was looking for some to do some stuff for my Torpedo but no retailer carries it and I did not want to buy bulk from online or ebay.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrentAustin wrote:

-T

Do you have the same reservations about the regular iPac cases?
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzvuu wrote:
bixtone wrote:

Where did you get velcro cloth from? I was looking for some to do some stuff for my Torpedo but no retailer carries it and I did not want to buy bulk from online or ebay.

From the case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: