• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Gum surgery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aadak18

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Gum surgery Reply with quote

Hi all. I'm facing some surgery to graft tissue onto my recessed gum. Nothing major, but the doctor is saying I will need to take some time off. Does anyone have experience with this?
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had two major gum grafts done about 10 years ago. I mentioned being a trumpet player to the periodontist and his recommendation was to take a three weeks to a month off and then ease back into playing. I've always been a bad patient -- I was playing low long tones after two weeks, ramped it up over the following two weeks, and was back to a full schedule of rehearsing and gigging after a month. Of course, I was back around four months later to have the other side done, so I had to go through the recovery a second time.

As I mentioned, I had pretty significant grafts done, and the donor tissue was "harvested" from my upper palette. The gouges in the upper palette tissue hurt a whole lot more than the actual graft, and I only started on the long tones when the roof of my mouth allowed it -- by which time the grafts were healing pretty well.
mark61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same , I was blowing long tones within a week c below up to c on the staff.
After that 2 weeks close to normal, mouth is vascular and has good blood supply. You will heal quick. Just don't push it.
Best
Mark
Listen to your body.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier this year I had a top front tooth extracted, a significant amount of bone grafting and a big swatch of the roof of my mouth grafted to where the extracted tooth was. It was quite a while until the roof of the mouth stopped feeling really out of sorts. It was a few months more until the site where the tissue was grafted stopped feeling like a piece of liver was stuck there.

My procedure was pretty major and I can't say if the treatment for receded gums would be as rough. FWIW my periodontist claims to have all sort of high tech solutions that supposedly fix receded gums with less trauma and quicker healing. Here's a link to one of their solutions.
https://ocperioandimplants.com/chao-pinhole-surgical-technique-receding-gums/
There's a lot more to tell if you're interested.

Two weeks back I was cleared to try playing again. Efforts with the missing tooth were not encouraging. No fault of the guns and bone which feel fine. This weekend I expect to try playing on Invisaligns.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart

Last edited by cheiden on Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
aadak18

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!
mark61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good information. Thanks for sharing. i had the grafting. Was a bit ouchy for a few days. Think more so on the roof of my mouth where they took the tissue.

mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: