• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cornet with a flugel cup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Cornet with a flugel cup Reply with quote

I finally bought a cornet mouthpiece with a flugelhorn cup. Lots of mouthpiece makers make them, and I won't mention the brand that I got, but it is one that is well-respected.

Is this really a thing, playing with a flugelhorn cup on your cornet?

I put it into my large-bore Getzen, which is a powerful instrument with a beautiful sound, and it feels as if a sock is stuffed in the bell. I don't think it's a problem with the shank not fitting correctly, but of my perception.

Other than losing about two-thirds of the volume, the sound is nice--much softer and mellower than my flugelhorn. I think I could actually play it in a tiny venue and have no one complain about the volume any more.

What are your thoughts and experiences with this?
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Mark Curry make me an FLD flugelhorn mouthpiece to fit a Conn 80A cornet. The cornet also had a custom copper bell. My goal was to make a flugel sound but have a very nimble response. Intonation above the staff was really bad. Lower it was okay but nothing special. It's a whole lot more fun just playing my Adams F1 flugelhorn with a normal mouthpiece.

Mark did say it was the deepest cup for a cornet that he's ever seen.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this basically achieved using a Wick no letter mouthpiece?
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once got a Chicago Holton 28 mouthpiece. It didn’t sound right at all. Lo and behold it was not a cornet mouthpiece as described but through a bit of research I found out it was for a mellowphone.

Nice Wick no letter is what I use for brass band. If the flug cup works for you then go with it.
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once got a Chicago Holton 28 mouthpiece. It didn’t sound right at all. Lo and behold it was not a cornet mouthpiece as described but through a bit of research I found out it was for a mellowphone.

Nice Wick no letter is what I use for brass band. If the flug cup works for you then go with it.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some 19th century cornet mouthpieces had very deep V shaped cups. the diameters were quite small, and the instruments tightly wound, very sharp curves, but by and large, they play wonderfully.

Instruments of this type I describe I saw in the Bernouli collection in Basel.

There's nothing wrong with a deep V cup. My Monette cornet mouthpiece is like this, as are a few others and there is zero wrong with the way my cornets play (Schilke and Old Recording) and they can bury brass band or orchestra just like a trumpet can, if they (or I) wished to...

cheers

Andy
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you won't mention the maker of your flugel-cup cornet mouthpiece and you don't mention what mouthpiece you usually use on your Getzen cornet.

With that much information to go on, I'd say "Welcome to the world of British Brass Band cornet mouthpieces."

Seriously -- check out a Denis Wick no-letter cornet mouthpiece. They're as deep as most flugelhorn mouthpieces, and they wouldn't be as popular as they are in the brass band world if they vastly decreased volume.

I have a lot of cornet mouthpieces, from very shallow to very deep. I also have a number of modular flugelhorn mouthpieces for which I have a threaded cornet backbore (made by the same manufacturer as the flugelhorn cups, designed to be used with them to use in a cornet). I don't notice a significant loss in volume when I play the flugel cups on a cornet, but the sound is certainly less cutting and assertive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: