• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Air blows out the sides of my mouth.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted - 10/29/2003 : 23:20:57
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author
Jam_Man_Tpt
Veteran Member

Posted: 2002-07-16 22:29
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Somedays when my chops are not at screaming capabilies and I play a high note, air comes out the sides of my mouth. Why is this?? Does anyone else expierence the same thing?? I hope you all understand what I'm trying to say.

Thanks,
Ben Love

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2002-07-16 23:15
Jerry Callet teaches that you should use your tongue to stop air from coming out the sides of your mouth. If you use a very wide tongue wedged well forward in the mouth that will prevent air from squeezing out the sides. I think of it as tonguing from incisor to incisor. But Jerry urges that your tongue should actually be wider than your teeth. Best regards, Kyle

Lee Adams
Superchops Forum Moderator

Posted: 2002-07-17 08:59
A number of things could be causing this situation of air leaking.
1. What embouchure type do you presently use? If you are not sure then see the SC book comparative diagrams and observe yourself while playing.

2. Are you trying to do an embouchure change?

3. What make, model and size mouthpiece do you presently play on?
Any mouthpiece changes lately?

As always AAtozhvac@cs.com 706-347-2439

Lee Adams

Jam_Man_Tpt
Veteran Member

Posted: 2002-07-17 10:03
I dont know what you mean when you ask me what emboucher type I use. I accidently left a part in the orginal post. It usually happens when I start getting tired or if I'm outside and there is cold weather. I dont know if that will help.

I have 3 mpc I play on from time to time.
Conn 1 1/2 C (I only use for concert band)
Schilke 14A4a (I use this for jazz and marching band)
Parduba Double Cup 5(I just got this one the other day, but it may replace both)

Trumpet
King Silver Flair 2055T

Jam_Man_Tpt
Veteran Member

Posted: 2002-07-17 10:06
I just read another post. It said something about loose corners. Could the case be that I have too loose corners??? I went to a HS Jazz Competition and the judge told me that I puff my cheeks on high notes because I have loose corners. Could this be my track to a solution???

Thanks
Ben Love

Lex Grantham
Veteran Member

Posted: 2002-07-17 18:50
Loose corners does not necessarily mean that things go limp.

So many people who desire to pursue SC have had to go from a smile (stretch) sytem of playing to one of center compression for better results. There is still going to be some (slight) tension in the corners in order to hold the lips together. But extremes in any direction often defeat what the player should be doing.

Sincerely,

Lex Grantham
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: