• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

IU for a music ed degree?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ohnecael

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: IU for a music ed degree? Reply with quote

After hs I figured i will try to become a band director, I plan on doing my general stuff and performance stuff at my local community college and transfering up to IU to finish everything else up for my education degree and to play trumpet there as well.

Ive heard from other people that i should just stay and finish my degree at the local college and not waste time there but I figured you guys would know and stuff on how good it would be for music ed.
jhahntpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem you will run into with transferring is all colleges have different requirements and some will flat out not take your credits. If you KNOW you want to be a band director you should make a list of 4-year programs that are affordable/close/whatever your requirements are and go from there.

Often with ed degrees you need to have several years of theory, history, ear training, ensemble performance, lessons, etc. If that's something your local community college offers that's fantastic, but do your homework with regard to transferring from there. The worst thing possible is to do two year at Community College and then have it mean almost nothing after transferring.

From a 4-year program you will get a sequenced education based around a few pedagogical techniques that you can hone and use in your teaching after graduation and a solid relationship with people that are respected in your area that will hold weight with a letter of recommendation some day.
Piccolo: Yamaha 9830
Flugel: Yamaha 8315G
Cornet: York Eminence
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT post right above. I had to restart my theory sequence when I transferred, which added a fifth year to my degree. I can't stress enough how important staying on sequence is. Missing one or two classes can add one or two years to your degree program.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it actually depends on your level of playing and what kind of professional or academic goals you have.

Local college: you'll make contacts in your area who can help you along, if your area has the basic need for another band director.
Recommendations may not go as far as IUs, (assuming you do well).

You'll save money. You don't say where you are. If IU is out of state for you, you'll save a bundle. If it's in state, savings may vary. Check it out.

Instruction may be more personal.

IU: Good networking and recommendations and mentoring.

International reputation.
-- the only actual IU grad I've known became a career-long professor at the University of Hawai'i. Not too shabby.

Superior programs, and faculty.

Networking. These are national, if not international, contacts who can help your career along in many different ways.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
ohnecael

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhahntpt wrote:
The problem you will run into with transferring is all colleges have different requirements and some will flat out not take your credits. If you KNOW you want to be a band director you should make a list of 4-year programs that are affordable/close/whatever your requirements are and go from there.

Often with ed degrees you need to have several years of theory, history, ear training, ensemble performance, lessons, etc. If that's something your local community college offers that's fantastic, but do your homework with regard to transferring from there. The worst thing possible is to do two year at Community College and then have it mean almost nothing after transferring.

From a 4-year program you will get a sequenced education based around a few pedagogical techniques that you can hone and use in your teaching after graduation and a solid relationship with people that are respected in your area that will hold weight with a letter of recommendation some day.

The aformentioned community college does have a 4 year program that has some wonderfully trained staff so i might not risk it and just stay where im at. My BD acutally graduated from the same college and obviously does pretty well for himself being at a fairly good hs.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohnecael wrote:
The aformentioned community college does have a 4 year program that has some wonderfully trained staff so i might not risk it and just stay where im at. My BD acutally graduated from the same college and obviously does pretty well for himself being at a fairly good hs.

Just to clarify, a "community college" is a 2-year college. Are you talking about an actual "community college", or is this a 4-year college in your community?

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
ohnecael

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
ohnecael wrote:

Just to clarify, a "community college" is a 2-year college. Are you talking about an actual "community college", or is this a 4-year college in your community?

Mike

yeah that was an error on my part just a public university in our community.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohnecael wrote:
yeah that was an error on my part just a public university in our community.

Thanks for the clarification!

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
JJMDestino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I transferred to Indiana after 2 years at another school. My gen ed courses all transferred. However, not all of my music courses transferred. I loved my time there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: