• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best way to learn a difficult etude or exercise

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spencerkotulski

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Best way to learn a difficult etude or exercise Reply with quote

I figured getting some advice on this would be good for me and many others. What is a good way to practice a difficult etude? or anything along those lines. What’s a good way to go about practice difficult phrases?
jvand678
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My approach is more long term and quite unfun... If I am having difficulties in music, I consider it a hole in my fundamentals. As such, I introduce the difficult elements of the etude into my daily fundamentals work. If it's leaps, I address my ears and tackle interval studies a la Cichoiwcz with sing-buzz-play (using Arban (and variations upon), Schuebruk). If it's articulation/fingers, I work my Clark or Geckker studies in the same fashion. Etc, etc, etc...

If they're within your fundamental set, isolation, chunking, moving note groups, starting slow and speeding up seems to be standard practice. There is almost always a tempo you can play it perfectly! Start there!

Best of luck!
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of difficulties ?
what does say your teacher about that?
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play it slowly a hundred times - very, very slowly. Then increase the speed very gradually. Don't increase the speed too quickly or you'll learn mistakes and bad technique/habits. Eventually, with careful slow practice and gradual increases of tempo, you'll be flying through it perfectly. But don't rush the process!

Unlearning and relearning mistakes is MUCH more difficult than carefully learning it correctly the first time.

That means play it slowly, slowly, slowly!

"A wise man practices slowly. The wiser man practices even slower." - James Moody
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I practice everything almost entirely the same way. The trumpet amplifies the chaos in your head, so your practice should focus on understanding how the music goes and eliminating chaos.

1. Work slowly (tempo and mindset) and patiently.

2. Work in small sections. Two successful notes are better than 100 terrible ones.

3. Learn to sing it accurately and in tune. Alternate singing and playing (I prefer to slur on the horn while I do this) until both singing and playing seem easy and accurate. If you find success playing the mouthpiece, then go sing, mouthpiece, play. With the mouthpiece, I also prefer to slur/gliss between notes to focus on the connection like a singer. This process must go slowly and patiently. Work on tiny sections (even just 2 notes) then work on connecting them.

4. Work in time. Practice with a metronome. Start slowly and work up to the desired tempo. Be sure to revisit slow tempi as you go. If the rhythms are unclear in your head, then count them until they become clear. Write in where the beats occur if needed.

5. On fast passages, sometimes we develop unevenness through our practice. You can combat this by intentionally altering the passage on some practice reps. Change the rhythm (8th note runs become alternating dotted 8th/16th or the opposite), play it left-handed, sing and finger along, transpose it up or down a step, etc. Always return to playing the ink, but working on the passage in unusual ways can keep you out of ruts.

6. Listen to recordings and copy. Try to copy everything as closely as possible.

7. Record your self and adjust accordingly. Treat your recorded self as your student and tell yourself what needs to be fixed. Depersonalize the process so there is no ego, just results that need to be improved.
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told, start at the last bar. Play that, then the last two, then the last 3 and so on. If you start at the beginning you always stop at the bit you struggle with.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
Play it slowly a hundred times - very, very slowly. Then increase the speed very gradually. Don't increase the speed too quickly or you'll learn mistakes and bad technique/habits. Eventually, with careful slow practice and gradual increases of tempo, you'll be flying through it perfectly. But don't rush the process!

Unlearning and relearning mistakes is MUCH more difficult than carefully learning it correctly the first time.

"A wise man practices slowly. The wiser man practices even slower." - James Moody

This. When I've employed it, it has always worked for me. Use a metronome to insure that you are sticking to the slow tempo, and DO NOT rush to try to play it faster. Repetition is the key to getting those things under your fingers an in your head.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning how to practice is one of the most important skills we can learn as musicians. It is also something which is not universally taught, so your question is a good one, but it not limited to etudes. Or concertos, solos, jazz tunes or even exercises, but music, in all its shapes, forms and corners.

It will take time to learn how best YOU learn, and the steps which help you to learn something effectively and efficiently.

There are so many aspects of this that there are books (many books) about how to practice. Some are specific to an instrument, others to just music in general. All offer bits of wisdom, so search them out.

In a very broad overview, you could isolate a few aspects of the learning process.

1. Know what you are trying to achieve. (listening, watching, imagining)
2. Know how to negotiate around your instrument to achieve your goal. (the what to practice, and the how to do it)
3. Know how to identify the weaknesses in your playing. (The hard bit, as we are all to an extent blind to our weaknesses)
4. Work on the weaknesses. (Knowing how to fix things is a very rare skill, and is why we need teachers, mentors, colleagues and friends to talk to about our playing)

And it goes on and on. It's not linear, but a web of interconnected skills, concepts, desires, fears and emotions. But it does have a start - and that is in the practice room.

And THAT, is a hint!

cheers

Andy
beagle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapier232 wrote:
I was told, start at the last bar. Play that, then the last two, then the last 3 and so on. If you start at the beginning you always stop at the bit you struggle with.

I often do this too. When you perform a piece the lasting impression is the ending. Learning a piece this way will make sure you finish strongly.

Another thing I try to do is to identify which parts of the tune I am having most problems. Then instead of playing the whole tune through many times and always being less than satisfied in certain places, I just work on the hard bits intensively until they no longer give me trouble. This means working with a metronome (typically on 2 and 4) at very slow tempos and gradually speeding up until I can play them perfectly at a speed faster than I will need. Often part of the problem is a fingering problem that you can't quite get right and at best it messes up your tempo or at worst it causes you to crash out completely. Other times it might be a range problem like a wide interval. Here practising slowly and softly with different articulations seems to help me.

Another good trick for fingering problems is to hold the trumpet with the right hand and finger with the left. After doing this for a bit, once you switch hands back again it suddenly seems much easier. This is some sort of left brain - right brain thing I think.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
Turkle wrote:

This. When I've employed it, it has always worked for me. Use a metronome to insure that you are sticking to the slow tempo, and DO NOT rush to try to play it faster. Repetition is the key to getting those things under your fingers an in your head.

This..........er, these.😎

Brad
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Break it into chunks
- Work on sections slowly
- Try difficult passages at a variety of dynamics and articulations
- Work on musicality by simplifying the passages (range or articulation) so that you can get good phrasing and flow

I suppose it goes without saying that there's huge value in strengthening your fundamentals in your daily routine so that music is far less likely to trip you up. I aspire to have enough facility and read well enough so I can sightread whatever is placed in front of me. I'm no hot shot but there's a couple of ensembles where I play part-time that trust I only need one (maybe two) rehearsals before I can reliably perform. I'll gladly bore you with the details of the time I had to sightread West Side Story.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
trptcolin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case seeing / listening to examples helps others like it helps me: you might also check out Ryan Beach's very methodical approach to learning the Jolivet Concertino on his Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/rbtrumpet), still in progress once a week. It seems to me to be very aligned with what others have already said here. The first one that I see is from November 25 (which I think was his second session), and he's continuing to work through it, ~an hour a week. I'd advise really watching them and listening carefully, for inspiration, but to summarize crudely: slow down to the tempo where you can play small sections *perfectly*, even if it's 50% tempo or less - then get *used to* playing it perfectly and increase tempo incrementally for bigger and bigger sections.

He's definitely got all the required range/endurance/technique together already, which is pretty important to remember. e.g. I'm not strong enough to play the Jolivet no matter how slow I take it - I'm better off with Concone and Getchell right now.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slower you practice it, the faster you will learn it.
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The saying goes, "The hurrier I go, the behinder I get."

The more gradually you progress, one step at a time, the more surely you will reach your goal.

The Forward Method

Play the first measure 5x's in a row if you make a mistake or miss a note you must start again with time no.#1. Than do the same with measure no.#2, 5x's. Than play from the beginning to that point once. If you make a mistake you must start again. Than we play measure no.#3, 5x's in a row and from the beginning to that point once. And so on until we get to the end.

Work a few lines each day. Play slowly and accurately and breath as necessary. Lift the fingers high and strike the valves hard. Take full breaths keeping the chest up. Most importantly observe your rest periods.

The Backward Method

Play the last measure 5X's in a row if you make a mistake or miss a note you must start again with time no.#1. Than do the same with the next measure, than play from the end to that point once. If you make a mistake you must start again. Than we play next measure, 5x's in a row and from the end to that point once. And so on until we get to the beginning.

It is said that Herbert L. Clarke always practiced his solos both a half step higher and a half step lower than written, in order to make the written key and fingerings seem easier.

Last edited by solo soprano on Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapier232 wrote:

I was taught this as well. Many people always start at the beginning and know that part cold, but the farther they get into a piece, the less well they know it because they haven't spent as much time there.

Imagine if you used this practice technique (quoted above): the farther you get into the piece, the more familiar it becomes. By the time you get to the home stretch, that's the part you know the best and you finish strong with grace and dignity.

I know first-hand that this is a great way to practice a challenging piece.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to learn a difficult etude or exercise Reply with quote

spencerkotulski wrote:
I figured getting some advice on this would be good for me and many others. What is a good way to practice a difficult etude? or anything along those lines. What’s a good way to go about practice difficult phrases?

Although I haven't taken lessons in forty plus years the Clarke Studies are something which it may really help to have a teacher monitor your progress with. See him week after week. Choose someone whose own teacher learned the book exactly as Clarke wanted it.

On the etudes:

A. Soft playing is mandatory. Among other things this will or could really develop your range.
B. Many repetitions! Clarke dictated to "Play eight to sixteen times on one breath". He really wrote this. It applies to the Etudes I through V. By the way, the last exercise in Etude V says to

"Play the entire page on one breath".

While at first this seems impossible but with patience it becomes easy. In fact I had a friend in college who played the whole page twice on the same breath. He even told me privately that with a little more practice? He thought that he could probably play it three times on the same breath!
C. Observe all crescendos.
D. Metronome is a must. That and mark your progress each week.

Now? Get back to work! Lol....

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to learn a difficult etude or exercise Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:
Soft playing is mandatory. Among other things this will or could really develop your range.
+1
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:

TH needs a “like” button.

Brad
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
John Mohan wrote:

TH needs a “like” button.

Brad

+1
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turkle and john mohan are right about playing slowly. it takes the pressure off you. a lot of people will learn an etude a couple of lines at a time. that's a good way to do it. repeating a phrase that always trips you up is along those same lines, it could be two or three measures. you take a page that is going to give you fits and make life easy by learning it in a relaxed and fun manner. after a bit you will be encouraged to put the whole page together. this is not a race. it's about playing with beautiful tone and enjoying yourself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: