• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

USPS says delivered but not

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WFUnix
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: USPS says delivered but not Reply with quote

Looking for suggestions...

Won a horn on eBay that was shipped via USPS. Last night I received an email that it was delivered, at my mailbox, a little before 8pm. I immediately went outside and it wasn’t there or at any of the neighbors on my street. Of course USPS doesn’t deliver residentially that late and would hopefully never leave a large package at my mailbox in snow while it’s raining...

Today (Saturday) I waited for my mail carrier who said of course she didn’t deliver a big package last night. She told me they have additional carriers delivering packages.

What do I do next? Contact local Postmaster? Seller isn’t at fault, and I don’t know that I can prove I didn’t receive package. After all, tracking shows it was delivered. Am I on the hook for this?

Hopefully the Holidays and/or the NC weather just delayed delivery. If not...

Last edited by WFUnix on Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
CartersPop

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully there is tracking info that should shed a bit more light on the problem. My wife delivers for Amazon seasonally and they are required to take a photo of the box at the site of delivery and turn it in to the company same day.

Secondly, I would hope that a horn of that much value was shipped insured for at least the value you paid for it. If it is truly missing and never found, the insurance should reimburse you so that neither of you is out the cost of the horn. Check with the seller about the insurance on the shipment and have them start a claim if it indeed does end up missing in the end.

Good luck.
Conn '27 22B New York Symphony Trum
White '25 King Liberty Silver Trum
JinYin '15 Marching Bb Fr Horn
Conn '35 New Wonder 80A Corn w/m
Pan-Am '23 40I Bari
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve had USPS do ridiculous things, in one case the carrier set the box containing my 3300.00 Wild Thing ON THE SIDEWALK IN FRONT OF MY PORCH, after dark, and didn’t even ring the doorbell, I just happened to see it. And it had been shipped “signature required.”🤬

Usually when I have had a situation like yours, the package went to the wrong address, and the USPS eventually found it. It happens here frequently.

Hate to say this, but I have found their tracking and “customer service” to be basically useless, hopefully they will find your horn in a couple of days. I would try contacting the local Post Office branch that would have delivered it to your address, if you haven’t done that already. I’ve been lucky in that only once were they unable to eventually find it, in which case the shipper sent a replacement, but it was a relatively inexpensive item purchased from a dealer, not an ebay sale from an individual. Hopefully your seller insured it.

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: USPS says delivered but not Reply with quote

GA to some other address Post Office services have GOT to be the WORST in the US. Since moving down here 15 years ago we have had numerous packages either get lost...mis-delivered...damaged etc., etc., etc. The workers and/or the Post Office in general could care less! Lawrenceville P.O. is BY FAR the worst plus they seem to employ every nasty person they can find to work for them. A couple of items finally did show up...the rest are in the wind! Good luck with ur situation. I hope they come thru for you!

Butch
TRUMPE: SCHILKE B7 / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT1" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: USPS says delivered but not Reply with quote

maynard-46 wrote:
GA to some other address Post Office services have GOT to be the WORST in the US. Since moving down here 15 years ago we have had numerous packages either get lost...mis-delivered...damaged etc., etc., etc. The workers and/or the Post Office in general could care less! Lawrenceville P.O. is BY FAR the worst plus they seem to employ every nasty person they can find to work for them. A couple of items finally did show up...the rest are in the wind! Good luck with ur situation. I hope they come thru for you!

Butch

No way, it’s even WORSE here in Houston.😎
Seriously, it’s TERRIBLE here too.

Brad
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gotten emails like that from the PO and they explained that sometimes the scan happens but the package doesn't arrive until the next day. If it doesn't arrive on Monday I would definitely call the delivering PO.
WFUnix
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Horn was delivered late today. It was left on my porch in the rain, no doorbell ring or anything! To say the least, I’m not impressed with this transaction with USPS. I do realize it’s their busy time of year.
Sarcastic Musician

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had a long and completely unenjoyable experience with USPS.

I sent a horn to someone with insurance. There was some damage sustained in transit (a couple dents in the bell bend). I got a quote of ~$250 for the repair, and after 3 automatic rejections of my claim finally got an actual person to decide my claim.

It was given a final rejection because the horn hadn't been turned in to the local post office for inspection. It was. I have a company of the receipt. Also in the final rejection letter it claimed that they would KEEP my horn if they approved my claim. I claimed the ~$250 so I could get it repaired. You can see my problem.

And finally, I got the final rejection letter dated July 31. My horn is STILL stuck in the post office.

The person I shipped it to has been to that post office at least 6 times, taking time out of his day. They still have my horn.

I'm not saying that FedEx or UPS would be better, but this experience has made me very wary of using USPS for anything.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had a rash of porch pirating here. I would suggest shipping anything of value "Signature of Recipient Required."

Last edited by Ed Kennedy on Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WFUnix wrote:
Thanks everyone. Horn was delivered late today.

Good news!

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
We've had a rash of porch pirating here. I would suggest shipping anything of value "Signature of Recipient Required."

As Brad’s experience shows this isn’t always effective.
Mmmatt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its no better in wisco. Just had a package delivered to the neighbors. Their tracking has always been a joke. Nothing more than conformation. I have strong animosity for usps. I know they provide a lot of jobs, but I would prefer if we could go to weekly mail delivery. Just no need for daily delivery in todays world! Email, overnight and ups/fedex can handle 99% of what we NEED to see. The old man who owned my house before me was on every mailing list known to man and I get gobs of junk mail. All third class bulk stuff. Dont ever ask your postal carrier how you can opt out of it. That is literally their paycheck, and the sole means of support for Usps. My mailbox is like a "news artical" with a barrage of popups!
1969 Reynolds Emperor Flugelhorn
1956 Olds Recording
Goldplate
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad the horn made it to the right destination. I too have had some very frustrating delivery issues. My issues were not so much which carrier, but who the final delivery person was. I had a Fedex driver pull up and throw a new motherboard from the truck into my driveway. The package required a signature, but he was long gone before I got out the door. I also was on the route of a UPS driver who made it an adventure to see which address he would leave packages at. "Signature required" didn't seem to mean much. Several times, he also left notes on the door that he didn't leave a package because it required a signature, when a signature was not required for the package. After a while, I got to know the people at the UPS office quite well. I haven't had any problems with USPS, but they have delivered the fewest packages to me.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WFUnix wrote:
Thanks everyone. Horn was delivered late today. It was left on my porch in the rain, no doorbell ring or anything! To say the least, I’m not impressed with this transaction with USPS. I do realize it’s their busy time of year.

Glad you received it, but the USPS simply dropping a box on your porch with no notice has happened to me during summer months, so I don’t believe it has anything to do with this being a busy time of year. I believe it has to do with lazy, entitled postal employees doing what many (no, certainly not all!) of them do best: putting forth the least possible amount of effort, full well knowing they won’t be fired unless they murder someone.🙄

Brad
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Ed Kennedy wrote:

As Brad’s experience shows this isn’t always effective.

Absolutely. My particular experience was a shipment from a well known trumpet tech, who felt certain the “signature required” stipulation would be adhered to and make it safe.

Never underestimate the capacity for (some) government employees to avoid actually doing their jobs.

Brad
CartersPop

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:

Never underestimate the capacity for (some) government employees to avoid actually doing their jobs.

Brad

For the record, the post office changed from government employees to an privatised enterprise in 1971, so technically none the post office employees are government employees (my uncle is a retired lifetime postal worker from well before the privatisation).

Personally, I think it is more "human nature" than "government employee" related anyway, as workers at UPS and Fedex are at best marginally better than the USPS IMHO.
Conn '27 22B New York Symphony Trum
White '25 King Liberty Silver Trum
JinYin '15 Marching Bb Fr Horn
Conn '35 New Wonder 80A Corn w/m
Pan-Am '23 40I Bari
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CartersPop wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

Brad

For the record, the post office changed from government employees to an privatised enterprise in 1971, so technically none the post office employees are government employees (my uncle is a retired lifetime postal worker from well before the privatisation).

Personally, I think it is more "human nature" than "government employee" related anyway, as workers at UPS and Fedex are at best marginally better than the USPS IMHO.

Ok, I stand corrected on government employees.
And I agree, even marginal, semi competent customer service at UPS, FedEx and pretty much everywhere else is pretty difficult to find. But based on my experience with all three carriers, I still would put the USPS in definite third place.

Brad
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also recently experienced more than my share of USPS nightmares. I have purchased a few horns from a collector over the past 2-3 years, and I have always received them in 2-3 days, since he lives only three states east of me. However, tomorrow will mark the two-week point(!) from his last shipment, which includes a pristine, play-tested-only Harrelson Summit in brushed silver. There's another horn in the double case, but I've forgotten what it is. Ha! Anyway, I got an email from USPS tonight, indicating that it has departed from the distribution center in the north part of our city. I'm guessing it's been sitting on an 18-wheeler at the front of the truck, so you know those puppies will be cold when I get them. It'll take awhile for them to thaw.

I had another similar experience in recent weeks, where a horn took an inordinate amount of time to arrive, so I'm probably going to move over to FedEx exclusively and have the boxes delivered to a nearby FedEx store. (The nearest UPS Customer Service Center is considerably farther.) I can generally pick them up the day they arrive that way. I don't feel that they would be entirely safe there, but definitely safer than sitting at my front door with all of the porch pirates we continue to see in the news. I also think it's time to get some additional cameras positioned in and around the house, now that the technology has advanced to where it is and prices have come down.
J. Landress Brass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trumpet related, but one of my employees is originally from California and has an avocado tree in his yard. His parents shipped him a box of avocados via USPS priority 2 day mail on November second. We received the box at the shop on November 28th with rotten avocados. My USPS package guys said " Well I was on vacation for Thanksgiving" when I complained to him why it took so long...
646-922-7126
www.jlandressbrass.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read that some employees will scan the packages as delivered so that they can meet their delivery deadline, but then actually deliver them whenever they have time.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: